1911Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for some unknown reason, several of my coworkers wandered into my office a few minutes ago, and started talking to each other about the possible CCW law passing in my state (Wisconsin).. why they chose my office for their ignorant discussion is beyond me, but at least I was able to point out the stereotypical flaws in their argument

of course, they all agreed that giving law-abiding citizens the right to carry guns would immediately create a martial law society.. one person specifically said he would be afraid of 'vigilantism' wherever he went.. of course, in my mind, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, since this mindset might make our state a little more polite, if only out of fear of retribution

but that wasn't really my point... I quickly noted that Wisconsin would be the 46th state to pass such a law.. which shocked everyone in the room.. I could practically hear the gears in their heads whirling as they struggled with the logic of 45 other states (many of which are certainly not as enlightened as ours, or so they would think) have managed to have a CCW law, without huge firefights over parking spots and other perceived insults

I followed up that statistic with the question about who will be 'carrying' once the CCW law passes.. their unanymous answer was "criminals".. at which point I said that criminals generally don't bother with background checks that they won't pass, nor will they pay the $100+ fee.. in other words, they'll just carry a gun without permission.. which is exactly what they're already doing.. a CCW law will just even up the odds between criminals and potential victims

the coworkers looked a little dazed as they left my office in silence.. hopefully they'll actually think about it some more

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
I love the guy who is afraid of vigilantism. What crimes does he commit that he has to worry about?

Nice to hear you set them straight with the facts.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I don't know if you've tried to keep it a secret or not, but if so, it sounds to me like your coworkers all know that you carry. They were clearly on a fishing expedition.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
I agree it sounds like they were coming to hunt trouble with you because they knew you owned guns.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I thought the law passed last Friday? I was reading something online that said it had been passed, but would likely be vetoed by the Gov.

I'm in Colorado, where our law just changed last year. I'm also a cop. I have yet to even find somebody carrying concealed, legal or not.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
People carrying concealed probably arent the people you come in contact with. I havent been pulled over in like 7 years (since I was 19).

My Father hasnt had a ticket since like 1974. I believe it was a parking ticket.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Some people just do not understand and never will. Their logic goes out the door when it comes to guns.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
ssr said:
Some people just do not understand and never will. Their logic goes out the door when it comes to guns.
My experience has been that most of those types arent logical about anything. Most of them are enslaved by their emotions and feelings on all subjects, not just guns.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think those coworkers had been discussing the topic as they walked into my office.. it was purely random.. a few of the people I work with know I'm a gun enthusiast, but I try to keep a low profile about it, other than my NRA window sticker on my car (which is there more as a theft-deterrent than anything)

and it's definitely true that most people view guns on an emotional level.. as an ex-girlfriend once told me during a debate on gun control, "I don't want to know the facts, they just confuse the issue".. granted, she was from New Jersey

as for the CCW issue becoming law in WI.. it has passed a couple major hurdles.. the Joint Finance Committee passed it.. then state senate passed it.. and now it goes to the Assembly.. assuming it passes there, it goes to our notorious Governor Doyle, who is expected to veto it.. in which case it goes back for a veto override

·
Registered
427 Posts
other than my NRA window sticker on my car (which is there more as a theft-deterrent than anything)
Around here that increases the theft rate - it tells idiots that you may have exciting firearms available in the vehicle.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Nothing like slappin' a bunch of liberals "up beside the head" with truth, facts, and logic. It leaves them dazed and confused. :D

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
rfurtkamp said:
Around here that increases the theft rate - it tells idiots that you may have exciting firearms available in the vehicle.

hmm.. that's something to think about if/when the CCW law passes... right now it's basically illegal to have any exciting firearms in your car, so nobody would break in trying to find any.. instead, they look at the NRA sticker and think "gee, maybe this is some major ******* gun nut who might beat the living crap outta me if I screw with his car".. I had my car broken into 3 times in the past.. but never since I put the sticker on

but if it becomes legal to carry weapons on your person, or in your car, I might have to reconsider my strategy.. but it might work in my favor, now that I think of it.. it's very unlikely that the CCW law would include a provision to keep armed weapons in your vehicle.. so the NRA sticker might become associated with the thought "gee, maybe this is some major ******* who's ARMED..."

1 - 12 of 12 Posts