Indiana passes it in just 2wks time!

·
Registered
8,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Any law that says a federal law is invalid is going to fail. However, it is probably a good plan for the states to push that issue. Simply because while it is not practical to expect all guns made in a state to stay there forever. Some will get stolen, some will be created to sell the drug gangs for big bucks and all of that, so that part of the argument rings hollow.

However, the underlying question is an important one. If I want to build my own lawnmower at home and not put a muffler of any kind on it, I am not aware of any law that says I cannot. except there is probably one in California. So, if I create a lawnmower in my state with no intent whatsoever to sell it or take it out of state and that mower is never intended to move in interstate commerce, that is an interesting legal question that needs to be answered. In this case it deals with a constitutional right, one of the most important. So, it will be interesting to see what the big court does.

One of the things that I expect at least one of the Justices to comment upon is how important guns themselves are to insuring free people stay a free people. and attacked people have some means of defense. Certainly the people in the Ukraine could use guns built in the Ukraine intended to stay in the Ukraine. There are certain rights that are more important that others when children are being killed hour by hour. I expect some good language in the ruling regardless of the outcome.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I’ve been following Indiana’s long fought battle for constitutional carry for sometime; even though I’m not a Hoosier. I started listening to Guy Relford’s podcast (The Gun Guy Show) when it first became available. You may remember him from NRA-ILA TV. It will be interesting to hear on Monday what he has to say about it. If you want some good listening fodder for your daily commute or anything else, give his show a listen, it’s excellent. Although he talks a lot about the happenings in Indiana, he also talks about the happenings on a national level as well, and he speaks from his point of view as a 2nd amendment attorney.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
“Any law that says a federal law is invalid is going to fail. However, it is probably a good plan for the states to push that issue.”

Of course they should push it since the Federal government has only a few delegated powers!

Anything beyond the limits enumerated in the Constitution are stolen since there is no amendment permitting it.

Allowing some behavior is not the same as following a rule. This is the problem today: we have permitted so much incorrect behavior on the part of the Federal government that the behavior is now expected, supported and even considered tradition.

It is wrong and should be corrected. It certainly will not be any time soon under normal circumstances.

·
Registered
1911s and AR-15. I like building and tinkering.
446 Posts
GA on it's way there.

Kemp will sign it. He's too afraid of losing his reelection not to. He'll pander to the conservative base because that's who'll turn out to vote for him even though he's more RINO than conservative.

Personally, I kinda wish he got primaried out by a true conservative. I'll never forget how he turned his back on Trump and now we got Biden. Thanks to crappy RINOs like him, we've now got out of control inflation, an open border, and we're getting real close to WW3.

The more I learn about politics, the more I realize that Washington DC is just a collection of village idiots.

·
Registered
1911s and AR-15. I like building and tinkering.
446 Posts
Any law that says a federal law is invalid is going to fail. However, it is probably a good plan for the states to push that issue. Simply because while it is not practical to expect all guns made in a state to stay there forever. Some will get stolen, some will be created to sell the drug gangs for big bucks and all of that, so that part of the argument rings hollow.

However, the underlying question is an important one. If I want to build my own lawnmower at home and not put a muffler of any kind on it, I am not aware of any law that says I cannot. except there is probably one in California. So, if I create a lawnmower in my state with no intent whatsoever to sell it or take it out of state and that mower is never intended to move in interstate commerce, that is an interesting legal question that needs to be answered. In this case it deals with a constitutional right, one of the most important. So, it will be interesting to see what the big court does.

One of the things that I expect at least one of the Justices to comment upon is how important guns themselves are to insuring free people stay a free people. and attacked people have some means of defense. Certainly the people in the Ukraine could use guns built in the Ukraine intended to stay in the Ukraine. There are certain rights that are more important that others when children are being killed hour by hour. I expect some good language in the ruling regardless of the outcome.
One of the reasons to pass Constitutional carry is to challenge these federal laws. We can't get these issues into the court system unless we can show that these laws have caused some kinda of harm.

It's just like the Texas case with the silencers. We've got to get these issues out in the open and have a discussion. The federal government has got to prove that these laws are both constitutional and necessary, which they can't.

Many of these laws were passed without the consent of the people for the sake of the public safety. It's becoming clearer and clearer that these laws do not keep us safe in any way, not when the criminals can carry whenever they want and then face zero repreccusions for breaking the law.

·
Registered
Small primers forever!
2,983 Posts
A lot of these "laws" are not - they are simply overreach by appointed, partisan bureaucrats. They need to be far more than "slapped down" - they need to be crushed into paste and burned to ash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts