1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Regarding a previous thread, I have the same problem,(we all probably do). I've got some copper fouling in my bore of my 1911's. It's from normal use, only shoot FMJ or the occasional JHP. I clean my barrels after every use and they get clean, but there is some fouling in the rifling. Is that fouling going to hurt anything or start to get pitted over time. Or am I just worrying for nothing?

·
Registered
361 Posts
As long as you are cleaning it regularly some copper fouling is not going to hurt your barrel. I do like to clean mine very well every 1000 rounds of so. I use Butches Bore Shine and JB bore paste. This combo gets rid of most of the copper (to the naked eye). With regular use it seems that the barrel is easier to clean. I have no proof of that, but it seems to help.

·
Registered
822 Posts
From an old rifle shooter. I would stick to a tried and true metal solvent - "Sweets 7.62 Solvent".

Clean bore with your normal powder solvent, then wet a patch with S/S. Run through about 5 or 6 times, let sit for no more than 15 mins before cleaning out with a dry patch (it should come out blue/green. Repeat this process until you get a clean patch. Once you have finished run a patch with a good bore oil though (I use sweet bore oil). I've always had great results with rifles.

Hand guns I only use lead - and having problems with leading of my 1911
9mm. Am buying Chore Boy Copperwool from the States hoping that this will make life a little esier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts