1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Administrator
72,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A pretty nice 1969 Colt Government Model. The box may or may not be real, as I'm not too sure about that end label.

But $3600 and 30 bids with two days still to go... seriously??? That's nearly double the going rate!

Reactions: Nick Rice

·
Registered
368 Posts
Wow! That is high. They do get some nice stuff though, usually on consignment I believe. I paid 2k for my '69 Gold Cup full B&P 2 yrs ago, 99% looked like test fired only.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
WOW, Thats Python territory.

DSK, what details about that label give you concern?

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
I see, your box under the one stamped 25 has no stamp, is that suspect? I also have a 3-5-7 from the 1950's with literally the same label that I bought from the son of the original owner. It also has no stamp, Im certain its genuine and original. Is that missing stamped number the only thing odd about the sellers box label?
357-5.jpg

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
The label is bogus, not sure if the rest is legit, I'm sure it's just a matter of time before one can copy the handwritten number on the bottom to that of the person at Colt that did them all for over a decade.

Then there is the seller, reminds me of RCguns ...

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
It’s a nice gun, I love mine (and it’s a great shooter too) but that is expensive. And who knows where the price ends

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
People can ask for the moon I supposed.

a local gun has several Colt 1911s. None are sold yet. A Competition 9mm, a Gold Cup Lite in .45, two SS Defenders in 9 and .45, a blued Defender in .45. The King Cobra Target is still sitting there for two months now.

they’ve been sitting there for almost a month now, and the shop just got in two .45 Government Combat Elites. I told them to give me a deal and I’ll take one of the Combat Elites. They aren’t willing to deal yet on the CE but I figured I’ll wait till Christmas and if they’re still there, maybe the shop would want to talk by then.

on the other hand, the two Pythons lasted a while two days. I bought one and someone else bought the other the day after.
meanwhile cheaper plastic guns are still flying off the shelves.

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
After going back and forth between box label pictures, there does seem to be some discrepancies there.

Reactions: Infidel525

·
Administrator
72,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look closely at the COLT logo on the end label. It almost looks like somebody drew it by hand. Also, the fonts of the other letters are different than the ones shown in filson's examples.

·
Registered
1,978 Posts
I watch Colt Commander sales, 38 super lightweights and 9mm steel and they have gone up 50-75% in the last 8 months.

You could easily get one for $1,200-1,500 this last spring and now the easily bring $2,000+

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Look closely at the COLT logo on the end label. It almost looks like somebody drew it by hand. Also, the fonts of the other letters are different than the ones shown in filson's examples.
Compare the words Automatic Pistol

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Classic12
The second photo of your pistol shows perfectly the grain/color/swirl of very late 1969 Colt Government Model OEM stocks. The original post shows an early 1969 pistol and the stocks are the typical plain, dark brown.
And, for what it is worth, I have several pristine1969 Government Models. Two of which are BB variants. I am delighted to see prices "bump up".

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
Compare the words Automatic Pistol

I noticed both of those. Also "Colt Blue" is one line not two as in the real photos posted.

·
Premium Member
5,073 Posts
Quick, hold my beer while I throw cash at gunpoker!
This is so ridiculous 🤣

·
Administrator
72,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
And, for what it is worth, I have several pristine1969 Government Models. Two of which are BB variants. I am delighted to see prices "bump up".
While I don't have near the collection of pre-70s that you've got I still have a couple of pretty decent examples, so yes it's to my advantage as well if these guns are really commanding these kinds of prices now. However it still makes no sense for the average street price of these to jump from less than $2000 to $3600+ overnight. But I guess with .45 ammo costing close to $1 a shot these days maybe it's not so crazy to see prices on the guns themselves nearly double as well.

·
Registered
23,187 Posts
You have to wonder how much of it is fueled by all of the? Oh know! Dopey Joe got elected hysteria. The sky is falling!

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
While I don't have near the collection of pre-70s that you've got I still have a couple of pretty decent examples, so yes it's to my advantage as well if these guns are really commanding these kinds of prices now. However it still makes no sense for the average street price of these to jump from less than $2000 to $3600+ overnight. But I guess with .45 ammo costing close to $1 a shot these days maybe it's not so crazy to see prices on the guns themselves nearly double as well.
I think Government Models were undervalued for years. Especially the high condition examples. Mediocre pistols are still running about the same prices as they were 6-7 years ago. The really nice ones have jumped in price recently but I don't think they are worth $3600. $2800-$3000 is probably fair for an earlier, high condition pre 70 Government Model. Late 60s, no way unless it's a nickel version and in excellent condition.

·
Administrator
72,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I agree there is a difference in value between the late 1940s transitions, the early 1950s pistols with the block-letter COLT rollmark, and finally the later ones with the stylized COLT rollmark. The latter were produced in far greater numbers, and in my observation there was a noticeable decline in build quality after 1964 when Colt first came under the control of hedge fund ownership. The late 1940s pistols are naturally the most valuable due to their rarity and the fact that there are so many variations within the space of just four years.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts