1911Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
dsk
We agree. Especially about the early post WWII pistols. Not only the were there more than a dozen cosmetic, component and functional changes to the Government Model from 1946-1949, the typical buyer was a WWII veteran who wanted a Colt and used it for sport and carry thus high condition pistols are difficult to find.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Compare the words Automatic Pistol

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
You're right. I find it interesting in the known, "original," labels, the "C" in Automatic lines up directly beneath the "M" in Model. In the label of the gun offered for sale, the "C" lines up beneath the "N" in Government. I'm sure that there are others on the board that know a lot more about Colt labels than I do-----but something just doesn't seem right.....

·
Administrator
72,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Unfortunately pairing nice original guns with fake boxes, manuals and labels is becoming more commonplace, as having the original accessories can really enhance the value and "curb appeal" of a firearm, which in turn compels people to put fakes together. It doesn't help that there are vendors online who proudly sell fake boxes and manuals, often claiming that they're originals when we all know that they're not. This is especially common with Colt Pythons as of late. Note that in this instance I'm not criticizing the pistol itself, which looks good, but unfortunately when guns are matched up with fake accessories it concerns me that the firearm itself may have been restored or enhanced somehow.

Reactions: Infidel525

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
Unfortunately pairing nice original guns with fake boxes, manuals and labels is becoming more commonplace, as having the original accessories can really enhance the value and "curb appeal" of a firearm, which in turn compels people to put fakes together. It doesn't help that there are vendors online who proudly sell fake boxes and manuals, often claiming that they're originals when we all know that they're not. This is especially common with Colt Pythons as of late. Note that in this instance I'm not criticizing the pistol itself, which looks good, but unfortunately when guns are matched up with fake accessories it concerns me that the firearm itself may have been restored or enhanced somehow.
How about a "Correct" vintage box with a "Correct" vintage label, and a "Correct vintage owners manual, but not necessarily the ones the gun actually shipped with back in whatever year. I have even seen a few for sale listed that way for disclose purposes. I suppose that would be harder to identify for a potential buyer than some of the aftermarket fake boxes etc.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
How about a "Correct" vintage box with a "Correct" vintage label, and a "Correct vintage owners manual, but not necessarily the ones the gun actually shipped with back in whatever year. I have even seen a few for sale listed that way for disclose purposes. I suppose that would be harder to identify for a potential buyer than some of the aftermarket fake boxes etc.
The serial number of the pistol was written on the bottom, to me it's either the original box or its not. It's like owning a collector car with a restamped engine and calling it matching numbers but not original motor ... NOM

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
72,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Nice pistola. I used to have a mint '69 with the (original!) box and for some unknown reason decided to sell it one day. Still don't know why I do things like that.

Currently I have two... a clean '52 and a '66 that my dad purchased new. I still have the box for my dad's .45 but it is so badly beat up it's barely worth hanging onto.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Nice pistola. I used to have a mint '69 with the (original!) box and for some unknown reason decided to sell it one day. Still don't know why I do things like that.

Currently I have two... a clean '52 and a '66 that my dad purchased new. I still have the box for my dad's .45 but it is so badly beat up it's barely worth hanging onto.

Beautiful Colts. I really enjoy looking at the pre-series 70 Colts...Some of my favorite...What would you consider to be your grail Colt 1911? what era, style, etc.. why?

·
Administrator
72,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My Grail Colt 1911 would be a 1930s National Match .45 with fixed sights. By far the most gorgeous 1911s ever made. I'd rather have one of those than a Singer. Unfortunately I'd have to sell most of my existing collection just to be able to afford one.

Reactions: spurbitten
21 - 30 of 30 Posts