1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It seems as if almost all of the gun manufacturers now want a piece of the 1911 action. Lately it was Smith & Wesson, then SIG, and now it's Para Ordnance. Para's coming out with theirs in February. I've been hearing rumors myself lately that Taurus, CZ, and HK are giving some serious consideration to their own 1911's. How true any of this is, I don't know, but at the current rate that gun companies are jumping on this bandwagon, nothing would surprise me. Talk about a classic resurrection and exploding surge of demand for a 100 year old pistol, this has to be the ultimate. John Browing would be a proud man indeed if he could witness how his gun has indeed captured the market in the past 7 or 8 years.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Huh? Para-Ord has been in the 1911 business for years. Hi-cap 1911s, but 1911s nonetheless. All you need to do to see their dedication is how slavishly they copy Colt in their top ends, even going so far as to license the Series 80 firing pin lock :p

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I believe it goes to several reasons. Ergonomics for one. First shot accuracy. The 'spray & pray' mentality of da hi-cap autos. And the 'back to the future' technology. 1911s tens to fit everyones hand, sit low in the bore axis and are extremely accurate when properly maintained.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
TRB,
You forgot about Para's trigger. Their trigger is not of the 1911 design, but instead is of the standard styled trigger found on other pistols, rifles, revolvers, and shotguns. Para's frames are also different so as to accommodate the double stack mag. I also wonder at how many other after-market 1911 parts would not fit or interchange on Para's so-called 1911 copies.

DECORIA,
I think it's a good thing, because then all purchaser's can buy from whomever they think makes the best one. The only thing one has to be careful about in this respect is if the manufacturer has strayed from the original 1911A1 design and made a part proprietary, thus eliminating any after-market part fitting or changing. Me, being a Colt fan, have little to worry about in this respect, but someday I might stray to another brand and part interchangability would be of primary and absolute concern on my part.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
To me, there is only 4 1911's, goverment issued, Colt, Springfield Armory, and the new kid, Kimber. Even within those, I have problems with the new safety devices because they deviate from the basic design. Ya I know, flame me, I'm wrong.

So, what about the refined model of the the 1911 that nobody seems to list? I think it is called a Hi Power. Oh, I guess that doesn't qualify because it isn't a single stack, but an external extractor, passive safety, or a pivot type trigger does qualify.

Yes I am stretching it, but so are some of these new style 1911.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
woodyed said:

You forgot about Para's trigger. Their trigger is not of the 1911 design, but instead is of the standard styled trigger found on other pistols, rifles, revolvers, and shotguns. Para's frames are also different so as to accommodate the double stack mag. I also wonder at how many other after-market 1911 parts would not fit or interchange on Para's so-called 1911 copies.

Only the LDA series is not a 1911 designed trigger group. The Limited and non-limited series pistols use 100% compatible Series 80 trigger parts and fire control components.

Your "so called 1911 copies" use exactly the same parts as any other 1911 except for the magazines on the double-stack pistols. All parts are just as compatible on a Para as any other pistol, with the exception of the barrel (ramped) and the slide stop - which may require a bit more fitting. Other than that, you are completely wrong.

·
Registered
23 Posts
woodyed said:
Talk about a classic resurrection and exploding surge of demand for a 100 year old pistol, this has to be the ultimate. John Browing would be a proud man indeed if he could witness how his gun has indeed captured the market in the past 7 or 8 years.
Ed brown has shifted production to less customizable formats to obviously handle higher demand. Most of the online shops ( like heinie ) are turning away smithing business. Things are indeed picking up, and radically so. What is interesting is that most of this is in abscence of LEO demand. Most of this is purely the regular joe. Other gun manufacturers who have made concessions purely to garner a larger share of the LEO market should take notice, including those already in the 1911 market.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I don't see how you'll make a trigger bow from single stack 1911 fit a double stack

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Dvcer said:
I don't see how you'll make a trigger bow from single stack 1911 fit a double stack
Damn!!!! I knew I was forgetting something!
You're right, of course! :p

·
Registered
197 Posts
However, the trigger bow of the Para wide body is of the 1911 style configuration, just wider, which I think Shane meant. Their LDA design is one of the few true radical departures from the traditional trigger setup on the 1911 clone scene but it seems to fill a niche market and will never replace the bow type arrangement. There have been the Stars and Argentine versions with the hinged triggers, but they haven't been widely copied, at least on a mass produced gun. Maybe somebody will resurrect them one day .

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
shane45-1911 said:
Only the LDA series is not a 1911 designed trigger group. The Limited and non-limited series pistols use 100% compatible Series 80 trigger parts and fire control components.

Your "so called 1911 copies" use exactly the same parts as any other 1911 except for the magazines on the double-stack pistols. All parts are just as compatible on a Para as any other pistol, with the exception of the barrel (ramped) and the slide stop - which may require a bit more fitting. Other than that, you are completely wrong.
Well, shane quite right, but just a tiny bit of an oversimplification; almost all of the parts do interchange, however there are at least two that are double stack specific: The trigger itself (wider bow for the wider mag well) and the mag catch (also wider, natch). Everything else is true to form, though.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
shane45-1911 said:

I stand on what I originally posted about the trigger group and frames being of Para design and not the REAL 1911A1 design. Other posters on this thread have also brought this to your attention along with some other design differences. Your 100% compatibility doesn't seem to hold true, does it? So now who is completely wrong? I would like to see you or anyone else put a Colt 1991 model next to a Para 7.45 LDA , detail strip both guns, and 100% completely put all the Colt parts into the LDA, and have everything fit and the gun function as it should when done. All this also to be done without any serious or extensive modification of any parts, I might add.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
woodyed said:
I I would like to see you or anyone else put a Colt 1991 model next to a Para 7.45 LDA , detail strip both guns, and 100% completely put all the Colt parts into the LDA, and have everything fit and the gun function as it should when done.
I never said anything about the LDA series. I mentioned the Limited series. The LDA has a proprietary trigger system. I never said that those parts were common to a 1911.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Woodyed, you do know that Para builds 2 different design pistols based on the 1911 don't you? The first was an exact copy of the 1911 except the frame and few necessary parts were widen to facillitate the double stack suppy of ammo. The second pistol which came out not to long ago was the one changed to have the DA trigger group (LDA).

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Majic said:
Woodyed, you do know that Para builds 2 different design pistols based on the 1911 don't you? The first was an exact copy of the 1911 except the frame and few necessary parts were widen to facillitate the double stack suppy of ammo. The second pistol which came out not to long ago was the one changed to have the DA trigger group (LDA).
Yes, and as I stated, the trigger from a Colt or Springfield will not interchange or work in any Para. Do you agree with this? Maybe Para has recently made a gun that will accept a Colt or Springfield trigger and I'm not aware of it. If so, I would like to know the model number of it. I also am aware that the frame had to change because of the double stack feature, that is why I mentioned in a previous post that the Para frame is different than that of the 1911A1 design. I'm sure that there are other parts on a Para that are not interchangeable with Colts, Kimbers, and Springfields as well and probably are not available from the usual after-market sources. I can't believe how this thread has mushroomed into a lengthy discussion on the differences between Para pistols and other brands when my original post was just about other gun makers getting on the 1911 bandwagon. Just to stengthen my statements about the present made Para's not being of "true" 1911A1 design, why then has Para decided to come out with a "true" 1911A1 model in February? As a matter of fact, it wasn't even me that used the term "so-called clone", it was another poster.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Shane,
OK let's talk about even the Para Limited series. I'd still like to see you take the trigger out of a Para Limited gun and install it in a Colt 1911A1 or Springfield Loaded frame. You just might find it a tight squeeze in trying to get it in the Colt or Springfield frame. Reversing the procedure, I think you would find that the Colt or Springfield trigger would be a little sloppy in the Para. I didn't mention this before, but I think you would also encounter the same difficulties with the mainspring housings. Oh well, in February when Para comes out with their REAL 1911A1 model, none of this will be of any concern to any TRUE 1911 fan.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Um... seems that you're losing focus Wood. It has already been acknowledged that some of the Para parts won't interchange with a Gov't spec 1911. The overall point is that most of the parts are copies of the 1911 design even if they may be enlarged, non compatible versions. The LDA is the exception to the rule of course so let's not go there again.

Let's please stop beating around the bush before a moderator closes this thread due to utter monotony.

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
woodyed said:
I'd still like to see you take the trigger out of a Para Limited gun and install it in a Colt 1911A1 or Springfield Loaded frame.
Please re-read the entire thread. I already indicated that the trigger wouldn't fit. Dvcer actually pointed out my oversight.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts