1911Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
To whom? Suppliers?
We won’t notice the difference the way stuff is priced now anyway.
On the Federal Premium website. Everything went up about $4 per 50 round box. I bought some American Eagle 9mm last month for $22.99 per 50. This week it is $26.99.

·
Registered
24,856 Posts
On the Federal Premium website. Everything went up about $4 per 50 round box. I bought some American Eagle 9mm last month for $22.99 per 50. This week it is $26.99.
Kind of makes you wonder if stocking up before all of this madness came to be was not a good plan.

·
Registered
206 Posts
At one point do the "I'm not shooting or spending a dime on ammo until prices go back to normal" people who probably thought that was coming in a few months start to re evaluate.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
At one point do the "I'm not shooting or spending a dime on ammo until prices go back to normal" people who probably thought that was coming in a few months start to re evaluate.
I've shifted the goal post to 'until things normalize.' At this juncture, normalize means ammunition is actually in stock. Once gun stores can keep something in stock, I'll re-evaluate. Until then, I'm still in wait & see mode. As unfortunate as it is that I haven't been to the range just to shoot for fun in a year, I'm still doing OK as far as ammo goes. No need for me to start shooting and add more to the demand side of the equation when supply is still struggling.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Well as this is being written, 7-16-21, Wally has been getting a trickle of ammo in. Every few weeks I go in, say twice a month, to get stuff I can't get anywhere else locally, and hit the ammo shelf (the gun compartment was built, finally, lasted about 9 months, then left empty, then torn out, again, now I think it is knives and such, I don't bother looking if no guns) and they ARE getting ammo. A month ago they had Federal 325 boxes (5 cents/rd), .30-06, .308 and 7.62 (so marked on the box), 6.5 Creedmore, .350 Legend, LOTS of Win. 12 ga slugs, a few other things. I bought one box of Federal .22s (325 rd) and a box of Win. .350 Legend.

Limit of three boxes a day, but since I saw this coming five/four/three/two/one/9mo./8 mo/6 mo ago I bought accordingly FIVE years, FOUR years, THREE, TWO, ONE year, 6 mo. ago, and if you bother to look, I was the lone voice in the wilderness saying so, right up to zero-hour. Also, look at the posts saying I'm an idiot right up to the last possible second. Possibly true, but I got to shoot all I wanted for the past year and a half and didn't need to buy any ammo, powder, primers, bullets, etc., to do it.

Went back a week or so later, very little left, but some, nothing I "needed". A week later, some 12 ga slugs left, no shot shotshells, no .22s, just slugs. Went in three days ago and there were a couple Win. 333rd .22 boxes, .350 Legend, THREE brands of .30-06 (Federal/Remington, sister brands now, and WInchester, one box each), .17 Hornaday Mag RF, 6.5 Creedmore. Bought a box of Win. .22s (333 rds, 5.3 cents/rd), and a box of Federal 6.5 Creedmore.The woman who showed up to unlock everything even knew what I wanted when I said a box of the Win .22s and a box of 6.5 Creedmore! Opened the case and pulled them out! WOW! Usually, I need to say "third shelf up, ... knee level,... now move your hand to the left where the only box on that shelf is..., OK, go to the top shelf, far right, only box on that shelf...". I said it was nice to see ammo again, and she looked at the case and goes "Yeah, it came in this morning." like the case was full that morning and that was all that was left!

The gun/sporting goods store in town had/has pallets of ammo on the floor, all through the panic! They always seem to have more ammo then Sheels, wally, and the other "major chains" put together, but then the prices tend to take your breath away too, even in normal, pre-panic, times. Looked at their powder (Sheels didn't have any powders the last time I "sorta looked", everything was roped/blocked off anyway, and no one seemed too interested in getting off their chairs and helping, or answering questions either) and while there was nothing I was "sorta" looking for, there were maybe a dozen or so types (instead of their usual "you name it, we got it,... if you can afford it!") at "normal" retail prices, not idiot scalper prices, which seems/ed good, so even if I needed powder, I could get somethiing I could use, even if not my usual powder.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Post #50 down this thread (among some of my others): Today's Ammo Prices

This isn't only affecting ammo...but that's the subject for now.

Btching is fine, just don't sound surprised while you're doing it. There are good reasons to btch, but it shouldn't be directed at sellers/suppliers. Blame the bankers and politicians.

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
It should be directed at the seller if they mark up their 223 by 400% in March of 2020!!
CTD did that waaaay before there were shortages of any kind!
True bottom feeding scum.......

·
Registered
541 Posts
It should be directed at the seller if they mark up their 223 by 400% in March of 2020!!
CTD did that waaaay before there were shortages of any kind!
True bottom feeding scum.......
There are a couple of reasons why a seller would mark up prices to a level that seems unfair: 1: Greed (that would be my motivation for selling anything right now, but I don't have a business or reputation to maintain), and 2: They know their costs are going to continue to rise in the future, and they don't want to get caught with their pants down.

If I'm selling gasoline, and I know the next truckload is going to cost me more than the last, I'm going to front-run inflation the best I can, and jack up my prices ahead of time.

At least Winchester has the decency to warn us and try to explain what's going on...rather than us pulling up to the pump and realizing in shock that it's going to cost 15% more to fill up our tank than it did last time (when prices were good).

And edit to add for Nitro...I have no idea what CTD is doing from one minute to the next because I'd never buy from them. I don't visit their website. I don't check their prices. I don't care about them. Neither should you (y)

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
They are always used as the whipping post and an example of what not to be.
Your example (#1) is the true depiction of their company motto.
No, I couldn't give a rats ass about them, but the sheer volume of examples on this forum of out and out robbery does not go unnoticed.
We are not talking about decent companies wanting to “get out in front of inflation”, we are talking about the jerks that take advantage of each and every situation. It’s kinda like jacking your gas price because the ice storm has wiped out most of the power grid and you happen to be the only one open. You did not and will not have to pay any more for your fuel, you just sit there and rip everyone off.

·
Registered
138 Posts
At least Winchester has the decency to warn us and try to explain what's going on...rather than us pulling up to the pump and realizing in shock that it's going to cost 15% more to fill up our tank than it did last time (when prices were good).
If you bother to look, the price of ammo has always gone up in the April/May/June time frame. The companies have been telling us "ammo will go up X amount starting on..." for YEARS! It should not come as a shock they did the same thing this year too. It's called inflation, and you can go look at the gov't "official" number, or go look at the actual/real inflation rate. For a rough guess, that is surprisingly accurate, just take the "official" rate and double it. Since EVERYTHING is dependent on gas, look at the price of gas and how much it has gone up, which means EVERYTHING else is going to up by that amount, wages, cars, ammo, tires, wood, etc., etc. According to creepy joe the inflation rate went down because we "saved" sixteen cents from last year's prices for a 4th of July cookout. It just cost $2.00 more to drive to the store and $2 more for gas to drive back, but hey! the price of the food "went down 16 cents"! But then the portions were smaller too, but who's counting calories?!

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
Handing out free money, shutting down oil pipelines and encouraging the left is all there is to say about it. There are actually 3M people on a petition to get the govt to hand out recurring checks for $2K monthly.....for nothing. I would imagine they are all Bernie supporters. Bunch of brainwashed sheep still sitting on the couch. McDonalds still needs employees, that’s what they are going to get!

·
Registered
541 Posts
“A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the majority discovers it can vote itself largess out of the public treasury. After that, the majority always votes for the candidate promising the most benefits with the result the democracy collapses because of the loose fiscal policy ensuing, always to be followed by a dictatorship, then a monarchy."

Another way to put it is attributed to Ben Franklin (it's disputed that he actually said it)
“When the people find that they can vote themselves money that will herald the end of the republic.”

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
Hey, Im just fine if we have to resort to the barter system, I have more primers that all Y'all!!
The problem is, if we get to the two latter results after a collapsed democracy, they will be taken away with narry a penny.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Hey, Im just fine if we have to resort to the barter system, I have more primers that all Y'all!!
The problem is, if we get to the two latter results after a collapsed democracy, they will be taken away with narry a penny.
You don't want the barter system haha. We use money for good reason. And many things have been "money" in the past. But the only thing that ever made money worth anything is "confidence" - confidence that someone else will accept it in trade at the same rate that you did. We're losing that confidence in our money. It starts with inflation, but it could end terribly. If China alone dumped our debt, we'd be in for a world of hurt. And they know that better than anyone.

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
And here we sit.......the new administration just handing back all of the jobs, adding to our dependency, while the left is allowed to strangle fossil fuel production.
Yes, when it’s time, I’ll be damn ready to exit this world. Electric cars and fat kids......easy pickin’s.........

·
Registered
541 Posts
Let's just hope they don't take us to Thunderdome.

"Who run Bartertown?"

"Blaster Master runs Bartertown."

Oh, and "Bust a deal, face the wheel!"

That wouldn't be any fun.

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
Well, the bright side.....if the SHF, maybe “Rap” will disappear along with those stupid 38” rims........

21 - 40 of 40 Posts