1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look at the poor quality of this cast Baer mag release verses the Ed Brown extended.

Yet, another item that was replaced on my gun.

·
Registered
984 Posts
Certainly no need to guess which one is which.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it's the Ed Brown extended tactical mag release. It's obviously a wee bit longer but not outrageous. I like it and think it'll serve its purpose quite well.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
No comparison there Son

Good move! I'll have to check one of those out...Thanks for the heads up!

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
man.... did you let that Baer mag catch rust, then blast it, or those marks casting pores??

That brown unit looks great, first time ive seen one, good pic too. I will use one for my next project.

·
Premium Member
940 Posts
are the Ed Brown products milled?

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Hi Wit goldmatch45, the Brown appears to be made from bar-stock and the Baer investment cast (not MIM), Metal Smith)

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Everything I have ever bought from Ed Brown has looked like that. Very disappointed n the Baer product though. If that's typical, and I certainly hope its not, then scratch his name of my "wants" list

·
Registered
614 Posts
Son-

Have you tried the Wolff reduced power spring in that new EB catch? Debur the interior spring catch and the tunnel, install the No.2 reduced power spring, and voila! You will have one sweet mag release setup.

I got this tip from Fran Moore in Myrtle Point, Ore. He's registered here on the board as Blacktail Pistolsmithing. He is one of the ultimate professionals. He can be reached at http://www.fsmoorepistol.com

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Son,
I no way is that nitpicking. I dont know what the Baer mag release cost you but it was too much. Its a shame that anyone let that one leave the factory. Is this a repeated occurance with Baer parts or an isolated incident?

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have another Baer (Premier II) that has a lousy mag release. It's not as bad as the one I posted but still not high quality. In addition, the safety was undersized. We’re replacing it with either a Wilson or Brown extended tactical safety.

There are lots of flaws throughout the gun that were 'hidden' with rough sandblasting. It's amazing how many companies try to hide everything with sandblasting.

When you get a beautiful gun from a top smith who provides you with a smooth satin finish, you know he's not hiding anything.

Don’t take me wrong, there’s nothing wrong with sandblasting. However, there’s a major difference between a rough sandblasted, matte finish and a smooth sandblasted satin finish. Just take a look at my beavertails post.

Sheesh, for $1800, you would think I’d get better parts. In other words, this is one expensive base gun to build a custom 1911 upon

This isn’t a knock on Baer. I’m sure this sort of thing happens to other big name semi-custom shops too. I just haven’t seen it yet.

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
It should drop right in. I'd also recommend the hex-head mag catch lock, especially if you have hex head grip screws.
Like the look, and it's easier than using a screw driver when you take it out.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Thanks Larry, you answered my question before I even asked, I got the Ed Brown mag release, and had to take it back out, because when I hit it during the excitement of an IPSC stage, the magazine wouldn't drop reliably.

The little bit of button extension is way better, similar to Kimber, but only if it works right. Thanks for the tip!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts