1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last Saturday I reloaded 100 rounds this tie. Same recipe, except I made the crimp .472"

I also made sure all the dies were very tight (lock rings).

The loads came out much much better. OAL was set to 1.263" and almost all were in that range. None went over 1.275" like the last time. They varied by less than .003". Maybe it's just the way I'm using the calipers.

Still- it seems likey should not vary at all in length,
at least my crimps are all the same.

Went to the range and ALL functioned perfectly. I was very happy about that. Seemed to group well at 15 yds.

They are only loaded to 5.1gr W231 w/ 230gr TCJ (Rainier).

I think I'm on my way! I like the recipe. Light recoil, and easy to do followup shots. I don't have target sights to adjust for 25 yds, but at 10 to 15 yds they seem to hit on the money. Perfect for IDPA shootin'.

Take care!

·
Registered
560 Posts
dsonyay

Great to hear.. i think you'll see the variations in the bullet OAL because of the actual bullet itself.. Berry's do vary some if you were to measure the actual bullet.

I would not worry about that .003 variation much, and like you said about the calipers it's very likely your not measuring or exerting the same pressure on each measurement.. which could cause the different reading.

Your load is almost exactly what im using now. I like it a lot, although i'm using 5.2 gr. of W231 under that same bullet.

Great to hear about the crimp also glad that's working for you.

How many years have you suffered so far in the Navy ?? LOL... your active duty ?.. Chief..

Jeff.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
17 loooong years. 3 to go!

:)

I'm also standing while reloading. I made my benchtop about chest high, and it's perfect once the reloader was mounted.
David

·
Registered
560 Posts
dsonyay

17 years is nothing... really when you look back on it it will be just like yesterday..

I only did Six in the Navy, don't regret getting out.. but i'm now in my 20th year with the same company... and yeah it seems like yesterday..

thanks go out to you for your committment and the sacrafices I know you have had to make to stay in. It's not an Easy life I know.

funny thing is I passed the chief's test just prior to getting out.. LOL.. maybe in my next life.. :)

stay safe.

Jeff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts