1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I hope I'm not being annoying...but this is my first Colt firearm and I have more questions about this gun:

For those of you who haven't seen the other thread I made about this gun, I picked it up from my friend for $700 who had bought it from a local dealer about a year ago and decided he didn't want it and made me a deal on it (he sold it to me cheap because I would take care of it and he'd have "visitation rights").

Now, the fact that this gun has fixed sights has been something people on this board have made a big deal about. When I bought this, I didn't know that GC Commanders typically didn't have them. Also, as far as I can tell...this gun is unfired (my friend never shot it and purchased it as used but unfired). I bought this gun to shoot, and I want to make a couple of benign changes to it. I'm planning on changing the levers (mag release, slide lock, thumb safety, and grip safety) to a nice set of polished blue pieces to give the gun more contrast. Also, different grips (probably elephant ivory) and a trigger job. I know all of this is easily reversible except for the trigger job. My question is...since this gun has apparent rarity, are these things I shouldn't do or, since they are easily reversible, I can do without fear (and I will keep the original parts of course)?

Also, the $700 purchase price has been described as a "steal" on this board by several members. I was wondering, what would a fair price for this gun be? Please don't confuse this question with "I want to sell" because I DO NOT. This is not a thinly laced ad to try and sell it against the rules on this board. I have no interest in parting with it any time soon, so please don't contact me about it (or ban me for this post). I'm just curious to the value of this gun.

Thanks!!!

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,290 Posts
I've looked at your pictures multiple times, and never noticed the fixed sights. I've seen maybe a half-dozen Gold Cup Commanders in the flesh, and all had Elliason adjustables. I must have bought my Delta Elite from the same guy who sold you your gun, as mine was also unfired, and also sports a massive idiot scratch on the frame! I'd say your gun's "unfired" status is undone by the damage, so there's no going back to "LNIB". Even if it's somewhat rare, I'd fix it up just the way I liked it, if it were mine.

·
Registered
815 Posts
Comment on sights

Although the fixed sights on your Gold Cup Commander are unusual, I don't think they make the gun worth more than it would be with adjustable Gold Cup sights. I presume that somebody simply ordered the gun from the Colt Custom Shop and specified fixed blade sights because they did not intend to use the gun for target shooting, but some other purpose.

If the gun were mine I would set it up with the grip panels I wanted and shoot it. If the sights are not aligned you can drift them left or right with the right tool and sight in the gun so it shoots to point of aim. It is a nice looking Commander and is probably quite accurate. I have 3 Gold Cups that I shoot and they are all accurate guns.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,290 Posts
Is the rib smooth, like the enhanced guns, or finely serrated, like a Gold Cup?

·
Registered
613 Posts
I wouldn't change anything on your gun. It is a highly collectable gun and worth $1200 or so in it's unfired condition. It should shoot like a dream. Everything you change will lower it's value. Honestly if you are looking for a gun to shoot, I would re-sell what you've got and buy a new Colt. The sight might have been changed or ordered that way with the intention of it being a carry gun. All of the Gold Cup commanders and Gold cups should have the Elliason rear site.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Two thoughts on your gun. Call Colt and find out what sights your gun was shipped with. Then you will know if the sights were original or replacements. Personally, I prefer fixed sights. I once had a Colt Nat Match Gold Cup frame with a normal Series 70 Govt slide with fixed sights. It shot like a champ. Bob
ps: I bought a LNIB Springfield match pistol in which the box was marked match pistol with the gun's sn. It even had a NM serial number. But the gun itself matched the rear sight of competition grade combat pistol as compared to the photo of the Springfield guns in the booklet in the gun's box. So I called Springfield about the gun and asked what did I really have. She said it was shipped as a mil-spec .45 1911A1. But what about the NM serial number I asked. That's what it had she said. So how did I get a NM box and all the other stuff. Maybe it was sent back to the factory custom shop for changes or maybe it was done in the field. Who knows?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Two thoughts on your gun. Call Colt and find out what sights your gun was shipped with. Then you will know if the sights were original or replacements.
If the gun originally came with adjustable sights, wouldn't it be obvious by the machining on the slide where the rear sight sits? It's possible to go from fixed to adjustable, but I can't see that happening in reverse without replacing the whole slide.

Well, you can keep the old slide I suppose, but it would look awful.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If the gun originally came with adjustable sights, wouldn't it be obvious by the machining on the slide where the rear sight sits? It's possible to go from fixed to adjustable, but I can't see that happening in reverse without replacing the whole slide.

Well, you can keep the old slide I suppose, but it would look awful.
Thats what I was thinking, and the slide looks clean and normal. No marking at all, I'm sure these sights were what came with the gun.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, so I contacted Colt and did a little research into this gun. They looked it up in their computers and were able to tell me that this particular gun was made in 1996 on a limited run of 300. She didn't have any information on the specifics of this model, but said that unlike normal Gold Cups, the special ones didn't have to have adjustable sights. So, it looks to be original!

I think I might have to get a factory letter.

·
Registered
256 Posts
shoot that colt,, that's what they are made for

not to be hidden in the safe and brought out for show and to say "hey look what i got"

so if you decide to sell it in a few years how much you think it will cost you in Collector Value????? $100 bucks

all Colts will have "Collector" value some day

sorry i just don't get it

ocharry

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I totally agree with Ocharry. As a Colt collector and a shooter I see the difference between Colts that are shooters and those that are collectibles. Right now yours is a shooter. I have a Tank Officers model of which 350 were made. It is a cmdr frame and an officer slide. So its neither one or the other. I bought it because I wanted an oficer size and the price was right.
The letters, as I said, are to authenticate the original condition of a collectible. As Ocharry says, you are decreasing the value of your gun by $100 to get in writing what you already know. So whty spend the $100?
A couple of years ago when visiting Chuck Clawson (we are both researchers, writers, and pilots) we spoke about why his book on the govt model pistols ended in 1970.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
I totally agree with Ocharry. As a Colt collector and a shooter I see the difference between Colts that are shooters and those that are collectibles. Right now yours is a shooter. I have a Tank Officers model of which 350 were made. It is a cmdr frame and an officer slide. So its neither one or the other. I bought it because I wanted an oficer size .45 and the price was right.
The letters, as I said, are to authenticate the original condition of a collectible. As Ocharry says, you are decreasing the value of your gun by $100 to get in writing what you already know. So why spend the $100?
A couple of years ago when visiting Chuck Clawson (we are both researchers, writers, and pilots) we spoke about why his book on the govt model pistols ended in 1970. One point that came out was that since 1970 Colt began making so many variations of common retail models and commorative models that doing the research and describing each one would be a researcher's nightmare. So many variations such as your fixed sight GC and my hybrid are just examples of the hundreds of variations Colt has made. Save your $100. Bob

·
Registered
102 Posts
rworthin qrotr:
"ps: I bought a LNIB Springfield match pistol in which the box was marked match pistol with the gun's sn. It even had a NM serial number. But the gun itself matched the rear sight of competition grade combat pistol as compared to the photo of the Springfield guns in the booklet in the gun's box. So I called Springfield about the gun and asked what did I really have. She said it was shipped as a mil-spec .45 1911A1. But what about the NM serial number I asked. That's what it had she said. So how did I get a NM box and all the other stuff. Maybe it was sent back to the factory custom shop for changes or maybe it was done in the field. Who knows?"

Springfield SNs of recent years (at least since 2000) usually begin with N or NM. NM does not signify "National Match," rather, it indicates the pistol was assembled at the Geneseo, Illinois plant (from parts produced in Brazil), whereas N serial numbers are on pistols assembled in Brazil. Those assembled in Brazil are also marked "Brazil," those assembled in the U.S. are not.

Back to the topic at hand, the fixed sight GC Commander appears to have left the factory in that configuration, as the slide does not appear to have been machined for the Elliason sight. Back in the 70's through early 80's, when I owned a gun shop, it was not unusual for Colt's to build short runs of guns with "custom features," primarily for one of their larger distributors. Those guns were, generally, not publicized, and few were aware of their existence. This practice may have continued from that point on, and this Commander may be such an animal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts