1911Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a tactical 500 from a fun show a year ago or so. It needed a mag spring and some TLC. I am having issues with it now. About every 5 to 15shots, the spent shell will not eject. I keep trying to "pump" it out and nothing. It locks up. I have to take to the barrel out or partially out to get it to free up and eject.

What can I do to fix it? It's my home defense gun so I would hate to be in a position where she doesn't operate. I know Mossberg will not help me with it unless I fork out the $. I am not a fan of their customer service for the most part.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Did you buy this used or abused? I think either way you look at it, you will need to put some money into it, whether it be buying new extractors, or checking to see that the ejector hasn't worn down and replacing that.

If it is going to be a HD firearm, meaning one you need to be able to rely on 100%, I wouldn't skimp out money to have it up to peak performance by sending it back to mossberg, to a smith, or trading for a different one.

If it was possibly abused and you have had these issues so far, I would trade it and put a new one on layaway. I am very wary when it comes to being able to trust firearms.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I am at work right now and all my Mossberg stuff is way back in Anchorage; but if I remember correctly, the extractors (one on each side of the bolt, as I recall) are spring-loaded with a very stiff spring tension to keep the extractors engaged with the rim of the shotshell when the action is closed. That being said, you might want to make sure both of the extractors have the ends intact, the springs are still okay, and that there is nothing blocking the extractors in the grooves of the receiver. I have seen a few examples of Mossberg shotguns that were "dry fired" so much that the engagement point on the back of the barrel was mangled badly enough to prevent positive extraction.

You might find a complete bolt assembly in a "spare parts bin" at a local gun shop. If you are using this shotgun for home defense, it might be a good idea to find a replacement bolt (they're probably pretty cheap in most places) while your original bolt is repaired.

By the way, what do you mean by a tactical 500 ? If you have an add-on accessory like a Sidesaddle by Tac-Star on the left side of the receiver, that could be causing all kinds of bad things inside your shotgun. Some of the screws that hold the Sidesaddle to the receiver are too long - that can mean that the bolt and other parts are not working correctly. If you have a Sidesaddle installed, I would suggest that you remove it and then see how your shotgun works. If everything works correctly with all the bells and whistles removed, then you can begin to troubleshoot the cause of your problems.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
radar ralf said:
I am at work right now and all my Mossberg stuff is way back in Anchorage; but if I remember correctly, the extractors (one on each side of the bolt, as I recall) are spring-loaded with a very stiff spring tension to keep the extractors engaged with the rim of the shotshell when the action is closed. That being said, you might want to make sure both of the extractors have the ends intact, the springs are still okay, and that there is nothing blocking the extractors in the grooves of the receiver. I have seen a few examples of Mossberg shotguns that were "dry fired" so much that the engagement point on the back of the barrel was mangled badly enough to prevent positive extraction.

You might find a complete bolt assembly in a "spare parts bin" at a local gun shop. If you are using this shotgun for home defense, it might be a good idea to find a replacement bolt (they're probably pretty cheap in most places) while your original bolt is repaired.

By the way, what do you mean by a tactical 500 ? If you have an add-on accessory like a Sidesaddle by Tac-Star on the left side of the receiver, that could be causing all kinds of bad things inside your shotgun. Some of the screws that hold the Sidesaddle to the receiver are too long - that can mean that the bolt and other parts are not working correctly. If you have a Sidesaddle installed, I would suggest that you remove it and then see how your shotgun works. If everything works correctly with all the bells and whistles removed, then you can begin to troubleshoot the cause of your problems.
Thanks radar. I have a 500 with a 20" barrel and she holds 7 shells. Yes I do have a sidesaddle. I will remove it and see how she runs.

mini devil,
It was used almost adused. Its not not my HD gun anymore due to its not working 100%. I reckon I'll just use my other pump for that.

Cheers

·
Administrator
13,321 Posts
Good advice above !

Mossbergs are not difficult or expensive to fix . It's an easy design .

Basically you have an occasionally "leaving the empty shell in the chamber" ? Failing to extract ? Brownells has the parts . I'd replace the extractor and spring and also the opposite side of the bolt face shell guide and spring (looks like an extractor) . Probably install a fresh mag spring as well .

Inspect the chamber as well . I've seen some filthy chambers cause extraction issues too .

This should be a simple fix . There's not a lot "going on" in there ;)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
guy sajer said:
Good advice above !

Mossbergs are not difficult or expensive to fix . It's an easy design .

Basically you have an occasionally "leaving the empty shell in the chamber" ? Failing to extract ? Brownells has the parts . I'd replace the extractor and spring and also the opposite side of the bolt face shell guide and spring (looks like an extractor) . Probably install a fresh mag spring as well .

Inspect the chamber as well . I've seen some filthy chambers cause extraction issues too .

This should be a simple fix . There's not a lot "going on" in there ;)
Thanks!

I plan to replace all list parts except the mag spring...its new.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
1,255 Posts
chickenman said:
I know Mossberg will not help me with it unless I fork out the $. I am not a fan of their customer service for the most part.
Interesting to know. So Mossberg won't fix a defective part on one of their shotguns unless you pay for it?

If this is indeed the case, then I guess i'll be buying an 870 instead of the 590 I was looking at.

·
Administrator
13,321 Posts
If this is indeed the case, then I guess i'll be buying an 870 instead of the 590 I was looking at.
I deal with Mossberg personally and have had no trouble with warranty work . However , they don't have a lifetime warranty , but nor does Remington .

A year ago our young Marine cousin in Baghdad needed some parts to get his 590 back in action . They didn't have parts in his small armory so he contacted me . I emailed Mossberg's regional representative for help and he forwarded it to Mossberg . They overnighted me the parts ... free . The shipping had to cost more than the parts . Anyway I sent the parts over seas and the 590 was back in service within 3 weeks . Impressive customer service imo :rock:

·
Registered
778 Posts
I dont like Mossberg, Too many problems with both a 500 and 9200. Recycled beer cans and Yugo's.

·
Administrator
13,321 Posts
The 9200 was crap . :mummy:

No complaints with the 500 though . That's based on selling & servicing them for 23 yrs . I own 4 Persuaders as well . Other than the earlier guns using a poor design safety button that was known to break , it's a strong design . It passed the military's acceptance testing . No other brand did . Nothing wrong with an 870 imo , but they didn't finish the test . Mossberg's do work well . :)

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
guy sajer said:
I deal with Mossberg personally and have had no trouble with warranty work . However , they don't have a lifetime warranty , but nor does Remington .

A year ago our young Marine cousin in Baghdad needed some parts to get his 590 back in action . They didn't have parts in his small armory so he contacted me . I emailed Mossberg's regional representative for help and he forwarded it to Mossberg . They overnighted me the parts ... free . The shipping had to cost more than the parts . Anyway I sent the parts over seas and the 590 was back in service within 3 weeks . Impressive customer service imo :rock:
Like nice to hear they took care of you and you took care of your cousin. Thats great stuff there.

Everytime I call for part info or warrenty info, I get the run around. I always end up with a chick that likes to eat while talking and her english is poor:grumble: . I am calling the Eagle Pass location.

I reckon I'll try again.

Cheers!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts