1911Forum banner

Most Absurd article I have read in a lone time

1002 Views 22 Replies 20 Participants Last post by  robertbank
This stuff here just pisses me off to no end!!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/americas/12/27/canada.crime.ap/index.html

"It's a sign that the lack of gun laws in the U.S. is allowing guns to flood across the border that are literally being used to kill people in the streets of Toronto," Miller said.

"The U.S. is exporting its problem of violence to the streets of Toronto," he said.

This really makes me grumpy...
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
95 Posts
I blame the french.

On a serious note, utter BS
Looks like they're trying to get someone else to be their scapegoat and what better place. US is just full of crazy gun wielding crazies cocked and ready to go.

Oh and BTW, let's not blame the own Canadian people for the problem because after all it's really the guns fault.

· Registered
8,947 Posts
Man if we cause problems for Canada can you imagine the horror if they bordered Mexico?

:biglaugh:

PS I love that it isnt the immigrant gang members committing the murders that are to blame, but evil American guns. That way you can be anti-American and anti-gun in one fell swoop.

· Registered
230 Posts
Mus said:
Man if we cause problems for Canada can you imagine the horror if they bordered Mexico?

:biglaugh:

PS I love that it isnt the immigrant gang members committing the murders that are to blame, but evil American guns. That way you can be anti-American and anti-gun in one fell swoop.
Exactly, but if Americans were to arm themselves to defend them selves on their own soil, they would be irrational right-wing fanatics. I love the way democrats getting their logic right. THen again for them the 911(pun definitely intended) is the only civilized answer.....

· Administrator
17,797 Posts
The horror! The horror...the horror...

· Registered
195 Posts
e-mail sent to Mr. Miller:
Mayor Miller,
From CNN news:
"Miller said Toronto, a city of nearly three million, is still very safe compared to most American cities, but the illegal flow of weapons from the United States is causing the noticeable rise in gun violence."

Sir, with all due respect, rather than blame the US, why not start with YOUR border guards.....perhaps they are not doing their jobs very well if you're having a problem with illegal items getting across the border. Better yet, why not build a fence along the border and cut yourself off from the US if we're so bad.
Or, you could just ask all the criminals to turn in their illegal guns and allow the law abiding citizens to keep theirs in order to defend themselves if necessary from the criminals that don't obey the order to turn in their guns.

· Registered
1,678 Posts
jazurell said:
Or, you could just ask all the criminals to turn in their illegal guns and allow the law abiding citizens to keep theirs in order to defend themselves if necessary from the criminals that don't obey the order to turn in their guns.
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: and they could ask Santa for his naughty list to check for future criminals too.:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

· Registered
8,380 Posts
Well, if the Canadian politicians and police cannot handle the problem, they can always call up their military for assistance...provided the guy's home to answer the phone... ;) Seriously, this makes me feel bad for those sane Canadians who have to tolerate this crap on a daily basis.

· Premium Member
9,635 Posts
However, there were a couple of nuggets of truth

From Miller: "poverty in certain Toronto neighborhoods is a root cause."

"There are neighborhoods in Toronto where young people face barriers of poverty, discrimination and don't have real hope and opportunity. The kind of programs that we once took for granted in Canada that would reach out to young people have systematically disappeared over the past decade and I think that gun violence is a symptom of a much bigger problem,"

And another from... "John Thompson, a security analyst with the Toronto-based Mackenzie Institute, says the number of guns smuggled from the United States is a problem, but that Canada has a gang problem -- not a gun problem -- and that Canada should stop pointing the finger at the United States.

"It's a cop out. It's an easy way of looking at one symptom rather than addressing a whole disease," Thompson said.

Canadian politicians must be different, he actually got part of the problem nailed down, where as US politicians manage to miss the mark completely.:scratch: :hrm:

Robert

· Registered
134 Posts
Root Cause = Human Beings

We have been killing each other since the dawn of time, from our bare hands to rocks and sticks. The gun is just another good tool.

Rook

· Registered
193 Posts
So, if I lock down my car with a Club, ignition disable, and door locks, then I'm CAUSING a car-theft problem for the guy who parks next to me and leaves his unlocked?

oooh, I'm so ashamed!

Albert

· Registered
230 Posts
1911 Rookie said:
Root Cause = Human Beings

We have been killing each other since the dawn of time, from our bare hands to rocks and sticks. The gun is just another good tool.

Rook
Tell that to the Democrats who think it's the evil gun makers that are causing the deaths by marketing to impressionable children and just want someone to blame...

· Registered
207 Posts
NaturalSelector said:
This stuff here just pisses me off to no end!!!!

"The U.S. is exporting its problem of violence to the streets of Toronto," he said.

This really makes me grumpy...

Funny, they don't complain about us exporting F-18's up there! Give me a break!:barf:

· Registered
195 Posts
e-mail response form Mayor Miller.....I feel sad for the citizens that live in Toronto

Dear Jon,
Thank you for your email letter. As the Mayor receives thousands of letters every week he asked that I respond on his behalf. However, all correspondence is shared with the Mayor.

I will too share your thoughts as well as your concerns with the Mayor as well as staff.

The recent violence in our city is a concern for all of Toronto.

The Mayor is saddened and angered that such a brazen act of senseless violence would be perpetrated on Toronto's main street on Boxing Day or any other day when city residents and visitors gather to go about their business and enjoy their lives.

The Mayor has extended his condolences to the families and friends of the victims and has urged anyone who may have witnessed this horrific crime to contact police so the perpetrators can be brought to justice. He is confident that Toronto Police will find those involved in this crime.

The problem of guns on our streets has many facets, and the City is attacking the problem from many different angles.

There is no doubt that the flow of guns makes illegal firearms more accessible on the streets of Toronto, and therefore makes it easier for gun crimes to happen. Mayor Miller has been in conversation with Prime Minister Paul Martin to discuss this issue and look at ways to stop this flow at the border. But there is much more that the City is doing:

The Toronto Police Service Board has approved a motion introduced by Mayor David Miller to hire at least 150 new police officer using a cost shared program introduced by the Provincial Government.

We have great confidence in Police Chief Bill Blair, who is enhancing community policing, which gives the City great power both to prevent crime, and to enforce the law. Toronto Police have now deployed all available officers to our most vulnerable communities.

Mayor David Miller has been vocal in completely supports the ban of hand guns and believes those caught with guns must go to jail.

I encourage you to contact the Hon. Irwin Cotler, Minister of Justice at< [email protected] > and the Hon. Michael Bryant, Ontario's Attorney General, < http://www.attorneygeneral.jus.gov.on.ca/english/comments.asp >to discuss sentencing issues.

Toronto City Council created the Mayor's Advisory Panel on Community Safety to guide the City in preventing violence and building safe communities. The panel first met on April 6, 2004 to begin developing a plan that could be successfully implemented in partnership with the public, private and community-based sectors. Initiatives will continue to be announced over the next few months. Presently, the Community Safety Panel

* works with residents and local agencies to co-ordinate neighborhood action plans in at-risk neighborhoods
* works with City departments, agencies boards and commissions to ensure that enough resources are dedicated to programs and services in at-risk communities
* identifies employment, job training and or internship opportunities for youth
* works with councillors to develop community safety initiatives in their wards
* manages the Crisis Response Program to provide immediate supports to Toronto neighborhoods in crisis
* works with other levels of government on issues such as gun control, sentencing alternatives and youth employment
* liaises with a designated senior Toronto Police Service officer.

Once again, Thank you for your e-mail.
Joanne Miller

· Registered
582 Posts
Isn't it somewhat hypocritical of Mayor Miller to complain about U.S. handguns being the source of crime in Toronto when Canada manufactures and exports handguns to the U.S., some of which are undoubtedly smuggled back into Canada by their own criminals?

· Registered
158 Posts
270winchester said:
I love the way democrats getting their logic right.

Democrats are like a woman; they have never let a silly thing like logic get in the way of thier arguement

(not all females its simply a modified quote from Chris Rock. Please dont get all offended if your sensitive or a female)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts