1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could get interesting.

I'm looking for the best bullet type in 9mm. I should point out that I will be shooting from a 1911.

would a flat nose have a higher ballistic coefficient then a round nose?

A lot of shooters like the SWC design, is that just because it punches clean holes in the paper?

Thanks.
GV

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have been shooting the Missouri 147 gr fp sized .356 bullets in my Springfield 1911 and I love the way it shoots. I have no problem with it shooting all "A" zone hits at 25 yards and it does punch a nice clean hole. I know that alot of people that shoot 9mm like the heavier bullets including myself. Enjoy.

·
Banned
5,052 Posts
many shooters have found that flat nose bullets are more accurate than round nose bullets in the 9mm - and some other calibers as well.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
Ballistic coefficient is meaningless in most handgun, and surely 9mm, unless you hold it up at 45 degrees to see if it makes it all the way across the lake :biglaugh: .

One of the guys on the US Army marksmanship team (those Camp Perry kinda guys) hosted a thread here on 1911Forum, not here in reloading but one of the other subforums. One of the subjects was their match pistol ammo. They use (drum roll here.....) round nose 124 grain fmj. Many of their competitions require ammo that looks like mil spec. So their contract ammo supplier developed 124fmj match loads.

I get the impression that very well constructed premium bullets will be more consistent and have best potential for accuracy. That's probably why XTP gives me very consistent performance in lots of different calibers and cartridges, from 380auto to 9mm to 44Mag to 45Colt & ACP. Nosler and Barnes as well.

·
Premium Member
6,152 Posts
This could get interesting.

I'm looking for the best bullet type in 9mm. I should point out that I will be shooting from a 1911.

would a flat nose have a higher ballistic coefficient then a round nose?

A lot of shooters like the SWC design, is that just because it punches clean holes in the paper?

Thanks.
GV
At typical handgun ranges, ballistic coefficient is not a factor. If all or most of your shooting is at 100 yards or more, then a SWC or truncated cone is going to be more efficient than a round nose. If you're going to use the same bullet for self defense loads, most definitely use the FP type over the round nose.

·
Registered
6,322 Posts
9mm bullet design and accuracy

I have found the 115 gr. Hornady XTP JHP is one of the most accurate 9mm bullets I have used. Overall, I have also found JHP rounds to be more accurate in the .38super as well. I confirmed this with a Dillon technician, and he said he found that JHP's to be more accurate than FMJ roundnose.

However, it all depends on your gun. Different barrels may like different bullets and bullet weights. My KKM 9mm barrel gives excellent groups with the 115gr. Hornady XTP and Vhitavouri powder.

Finding the right combination of bullet and powder for your gun is key.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Gday,
I have taken a few piccies (okay, the detail isnt great, I shoot guns, not photos...) of my ole Target Master, plus some of the rounds I have used in it succesfully.

(sorry cut n paste failed) here is the link....http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?p=2825005#post2825005

I have measured the rounds OAL, and this is what I have:

128gn RNWC Round Nose Wad Cutter = 1.224

135gn RN Round Nose = 1.184

125gn CN Conical = 1.120

The 128gn and 135gn loads both require 38 Super Magazines.

Cheers,

Aussie D

·
Registered
168 Posts
www.pennbullets.com is currently supplying the U.S. Army Marksmenship unit their 115gr. swc for their 1911 9mm pistols.
I have found it and the 147 gr RNFP to be excellent.

·
Super Moderator
15,052 Posts
In 9mm, I shoot 1911's and an XD. In my 1911's, the Zero 115gr JHP has proven to be the most accurate. In the XD, the Zero 125 JFP is more accurate. When shooting lead bullets, mostly 122gr LFP's, the 1911 accuracy is close to the Zero bullet accuracy; but, the XD accuracy with lead bullets is not very good.

·
Banned
12,385 Posts
www.pennbullets.com is currently supplying the U.S. Army Marksmenship unit their 115gr. swc for their 1911 9mm pistols.
Do we perhaps have a source to verify that?
Go here
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=255259
and scroll down to post #16.
There is a picture of a box with AMU match ammo.
Seems to be 124g M883 Ball. That wouldn't be a commercial cast lead bullet.
Or do they use cast 115swc for practice, and ball for competition?

·
Registered
124 Posts
For a good bullet I used Oregan Trail (lead) in 122 gr. Flat point, feed good, nice hole in the paper. But for a GREAT powder try IMR 7625

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I've only tested for accuracy out to 50 yards, but, out of the guns I've tried, to get groups under 1 1/2", Zero, jhps, or, Hornady XTPs.

·
Registered
100 Posts
The SWC design has usually performed well for me, regardless of caliber when shooting at normal pistol target shooting distances. There are of course exceptions. It will take a little range time to see what your particular pistol prefers. I've got a few pistols that will shoot most any bullet shape well with the right dose of propellant, some that will shoot a particular bullet accurately at any velocity, and others that will absolutely shine with one particular combo, that won't shoot anything else? I usually start with cast semiwadcutters when I get a new pistol. If a pistol has potential, it's usually easy to see with them. Then I tinker from from there. They're like people, each one is different.

·
Registered
4,163 Posts
I have found it and the 147 gr RNFP to be excellent.
travis two,

by chance....would you know the receipe they are using?

I ordered these from Penn and he also told me AMU was buying the 115swc and he thought they were using AA#2 but did not know the throw weight?

he also said they were using very light recoil springs.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
22,682 Posts
The most accurate 9mm load I found (besides Federal 9BP factory JHP) was a 115 gr Sierra JHP and 4.2 gr VV N320.

The most accurate FMJ I have seen was the Nosler 115 gr RN, unfortunately discontinued. In general, hollowpoints are more accurate than full jacket. Bulk Remington JHPs aren't bad.
But I wish they sold the Ruag Swiss service load here that my P210 test target was shot with.

The most accurate cast bullet I have shot was a 145 grain roundnose from a defunct caster, Valley Bullets here in Alabama.

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Most Accurate design

Thank you all for your posts.

I'll be shooting with a Kimber Team Match II. I don't see myself shooting past 50 yards

I've been using 124gr. FMJ (RN) over 4.4gr. of 231 COL 1.11. It's not a bad load, just wanted to see what you all thought.

So I'll have to see if it will feed reliably. I'll get some SWC, FP and Conical bullets and see what woks best in my gun.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
6,982 Posts
Goldenvolt

I do not own a 1911 in 9mm so I cant speak for it in particular

The 9mm bullet that has been the most accurate in my Glocks and Browning HP is the 147 swc

·
Registered
22,682 Posts
3.4 gr W231

Accuracy was best at the longest OAL the chamber and magazine would take.

Tennessee Valley Bullets bought out the Valley equipment. I haven't shot many of their bullets and cannot say whether or not they are equal to the older stuff. But it would be worth a box to see.
http://www.tennesseevalleybullets.com/products/bullets.html

Laser Cast also sells bullets out of this mould. I like the true roundnose instead of the usual 147 grain flatpoint. I am at present shooting moly coated Billy Bullets in the 135 grain version of that style. Haven't Ransom Rested them, though.

I really liked the old Bull-X 140 gr 9mm SWC but they are long gone and I do not know of anybody casting that bullet now.
I now favor the moly coated bullets which smoke less than wax lubed cast, cost less than jacketed, and shoot more accurately than plated.

Yes, out of a 1911; although the Sierra JHP load was the most accurate handload in a P210 also.
I just take the standard .356" nominal 9mm cast.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts