1911Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about picking up a .22LR rifle. What do you guys and gals think is the most accurate? Also, what are your thoughts on the Winchester Model 52?
Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
21,730 Posts
Anschutz.

A real Winchester 52 is very accurate, you can pick up a "retired" target rifle with a lot of good rounds left. Real 52 sporters are very expensive. I don't know anyone who shoots one of the Japanese repros.

·
Banned
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Jim....
Found a Model 52 Winchester. Nicely checkered Monte Carlo walnut stock. Has the speed lock set-up, blade front sight.Button release 5 round curved magazine. Very, very light trigger ( you don't pull, you barely touch). Didn't get serial number or other specifics. Priced at $995. Any ideas what model this is?
Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've got a Remington 541 Heavy Barrel I'm very happy with. They don't make them any more, but they're around used.

------------------

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice Doggie' until you can find a rock"

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I'll second Anshutz. I had a 54 for a while in Europe - wish I'd brought it back with me. It also had the best trigger on a rifle I have ever had (or tried). It was so light (a couple of ounces) I had several a couple of premature let-offs before I got the hang of it. The 54 and 64 target rifles have very heavy competition stocks/heavy barrels; but boy - do they shoot!

Cape Outfitters has a few for sale by the way.
http://www.capeoutfitters.com/

·
Banned
1,049 Posts
I have one of the Browning 52B's that are the same as the current Winchesters. It is very well made and accurate. Figure around $750 for gun, good scope & mounts.

------------------
ElrodCod
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
977 Posts
I recently picked up a CZ 452 .22lr. The first time out it pulled in 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50yds with PMC Scoremaster, Ely Subsonic and Federal Classic 38gr JHP. Best group was 4/16" with Federal. Not that expensive and has a great reputation for being a shooter.....

·
Banned
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by JohnnyO:
I recently picked up a CZ 452 .22lr. The first time out it pulled in 1/2" 5 shot groups at 50yds with PMC Scoremaster, Ely Subsonic and Federal Classic 38gr JHP. Best group was 4/16" with Federal. Not that expensive and has a great reputation for being a shooter.....
I've heard about the CZ 452s, haven't seen one locally. Looked at a CZ in .223 yesterday that had a set trigger. Does the CZ 452 come with the same type of trigger set-up?
Regards,
Sam

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have a CZ452, and it is very accurate. I love its "real gun" weight, lenght, blue steel and euro walnut stock. Its trigger can be regulated, but it is not a "set" type.
They are very famous and a true classic outside the USA.

·
Banned
5,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I'm hearing some good things about the CZs. For the price they sound like a pretty good deal. I got more info on the Winchester 52. Serial No. 8481xC. My book shows 1956 production. Rifle has been re-stocked (nicely done) and refinished in matte blue. It seems $995 is too much. Your thoughts? BTW, thanks for all the input so far.
Regards,
Sam

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
you should be able to pick up a clean 52 with good sights and origional stock between 5 and 600.00, have seen 3 at the last 2 shows in that range. Unless you really like the stock on the one your looking at?
and it does not help the value. the mags if win. brand have value.
geo ><>

good luck!

·
Registered
977 Posts
The trigger on my 452 is not that great. A little heavy, with a lot of creep. However, even with that disadvantage it shoots great. A trigger job is all I plan to do to it. Even the scope I have on it (Tasco Mildot) is not so great. A good trigger and better scope and this gun will be a real winner.

·
Registered
809 Posts
I have an old Anshutz (no model# or import mark so I'm not sure what it is exactly) that is a joy, very accurate and pretty too. My CZ-527-FS .223 is the most accurate rifle I have ever shot, if the rimfires are as good you can have a great rifle for a lot less money that way.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I've been hearing good things about the new Kimber .22's, and there was an article on them in a recent gun rag that sure sounded good. I don't know if they shoot as good as an Anshutz, but I'll bet they're less money.

·
Administrator
72,134 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.