1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kind of grips did most WW2 1911s have? I'd like to buy some new grips and wanted grips that looked correct, and were new. Hopefully something affordable too.

·
Administrator
76,559 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,620 Posts
The brown plastic checkered WWII grips are plentiful on ebay, from $5 up. Also at your local gun show. Sometimes you can find unissued ones. You may be able to get plastic Colt grips for their 1911A1 repro, if you must for some reason have brand new ones. If you want a similar look in wood, a plain, non-figured walnut full-checkered grip can be found from numerous vendors. If these look too 'light', stain them with U.S. Armory stain (reproduction) available from Brownells. A cautionary note; old plastic grips shrink with age and sometimes won't easily install over the grip bushings. If you buy them at a show, make them show you they fit on a standard pistol - you may have to take your gun. If you want, you can generally relieve the bushing holes enough so the grips will install.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I bought some plastic brown grips for my Springfield Mil-Spec from Auto-Ordnance. They make reproduction grips for their WWII model. (I also bought an arched MSH w/lanyard loop to replace the ILS in my Mil-Spec):

http://www.tommygunshop.com/main_1911pkz.asp

Only $7 for a pair.

EDIT: By the way, the grips look gray in the picture on their website, but they're definitely dark brown.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I believe that the 1911A1 used plastic, while the 1911 used wood.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts