1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys....what’s the best bullseye/accurate 9mm Sig? Long story short.....I have an opportunity to buy one significantly discounted.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can buy a new one for about $900. Anyone know how it compares to a nice 1911 in 9mm?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Accuracy standard for the Swiss made P210 was 5 rounds in a 2" circle at 50 meters.

That was for a production firearm, not some custom job from a high-dollar 'smith.

Not certain who makes another 9mm with near that accuracy out of the box except the Walther P88. And that one is only close.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
The new 210 is very good (the first version, with adjustable sights. I can't speak for the other one that came later). Perhaps not up to the Swiss version's standard or status, but then again, neither is the price!!!! :) :)

This was the very first, full magazine fired from mine at 15-yards, if memory serves, with my generic, all purpose 115gr load. It only got better from there.

20180304_120911.jpg

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On the Sig web page there is a P210 Target. How good of a value is this gun for $900?

Not looking to “waste” money, but would love a nice, accurate SA bullseye gun.

Also, what mods are there for this gun? Or is it as good as it gets out of the box?

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you can get a Sig 210 for $900 and you’re asking “should I” instead of saying “look what I got for $900” then I’m afraid you have a brain injury. As a bullseye type of gun I don’t know if anything from a factory. Plus it served as a military sidearm. The accuracy of the American 210 is every bit as good as the Swiss.
I want a standard and I would carry it with zero cares.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Well, I don't believe that you'll be 'wasting' money at that price. I also don't believe that this requires any mods, but then again, I don't 'mod' much of anything really, as far as pistols are concerned. I say go for it. You won't regret it!! :) :)

·
Registered
253 Posts
These need nothing out of the box. They can't be upgraded to any better than they already are.

I can't speak to the accuracy of American made SIG's but I know the Swiss made examples are literal tack drivers.

A couple of things I don't like about the American models is that they are made of stainless, and they can't be blued. And second, SIG USA cheaped out on the slide serrations instead of machining them like the original.

"Lets make a repro of the famous P210 but we'll cut corners and not machine all of those useless slide serrations and make it from stainless so we don't have to polish it and blue it."

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
The black finish on my stainless P229 is fine, it's a work horse after all. Night sites and hogue grips is all I've done in 10 years. Totally reliable and more accurate than it has a right to be. I got it in a trade and didn't want to like it, figured I'd shoot it a little and sell it. Well in 10 years it hasn't gone anywhere and it isn't going to.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the comments guys. I am going to verify the price on Monday and make a decision.

·
Premium Member
1,656 Posts
$900.00 is a don't think to long price...pull the trigger on that. Make sure that price is for the Target model. Could be the new fixed sight Standard model.

I love mine. Accuracy of mine mirrors Havanajim. The only mods I did was to the grip. Those target grips are a tad to long for easy mag insertion and too thick for hitting the mag release. I took about 15 minutes of sanding and fixed both issues. Its currently the most accurate pistol I own.

Attachments

·
Registered
568 Posts
I have the American Target model and really enjoy it, smooth and accurate. The Target models sell on GunBroker for about $1450 shipped and the Standard model can be had for $1099 shipped. The difference are grips, sights, and mags, the base pad on the mags the difference. I do not know of any mods available except for grips, then you are looking at the factory Target or Standard grips.
If you can get it for $900 you stole it.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok...so here is the deal. I am able to buy any Sig gun for 50% off MSRP, no tax and $10 for shipping.

I could really use a nice 9m target gun.

·
Registered
21,669 Posts
The only Sig that would compare is the P226 X5 L1.
Which is considerably more expensive than P210A and I fear discontinued.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok...so here is the deal. I am able to buy any Sig gun for 50% off MSRP, no tax and $10 for shipping.

I could really use a nice 9m target gun.
Good grief, man!!!! With that incentive, I'd be in big, big trouble!!!!
I know...right? I was actually confused at first. I am still trying to figure this out. But think I can buy one this year and another in January. Only one per year.

·
Registered
2,117 Posts
On the Sig web page there is a P210 Target. How good of a value is this gun for $900? Not looking to “waste” money, but would love a nice, accurate SA bullseye gun. Also, what mods are there for this gun? Or is it as good as it gets out of the box?
Are you looking for a CMP EIC pistol or NRA CF gun?

Personally, I would avoid a non-Swiss P210 nor would I pay the premium for the Swiss. Many new P210s won't hold the X-Ring with 10 shots (1.77" at 50 yards). Another issue is that most shoot the 1911 for the 45 portion, unless you have massive paws, double stack 45s get chunky fast. Going back and forth between radically different platforms 22/45 (22), P-210 (CF), 1911 (45) will be a challenge and put you at a disadvantage. Probably cheaper in the long run, with better performance would be a Springfield Range Officer or similar Sig, if they make/made one with a trigger job and new barrel. You can add a Nelson Custom 22 conversion to the same pistol and shoot the same platform across the course of fire. and limit your expenses to two pistols, one for 22/CF and another 1911 for 45. If you look at the Bullseye pro teams Nelson 1911 conversions or Hammerli 208S with a 1911 grip adapter and another 1911 for CF/45 is a common setup.

Good article linked here: https://www.westcoastarmory.com/reviews/review/104/

Accuracy standard for the Swiss made P210 was 5 rounds in a 2" circle at 50 meters. That was for a production firearm, not some custom job from a high-dollar 'smith. Not certain who makes another 9mm with near that accuracy out of the box except the Walther P88. And that one is only close.
Walther P88 is a great pistol, but there are better options for precision pistol. I would go with an XD(M) w/a refit barrel or M9 with adjustable sights over a Walther P88. Most P88s won’t hold the X-Ring at 50 yards, and often not the 10 ring. Example 25 meter factory test target to show factory performance, which isn’t spectacular.

The Pardini GT9 is. Advantage of the Pardini is reliability, a fully adjustable trigger, ability to mount a dot, conventional sights. Disadvantage is the thick grip due to the double stack magazine, cost and magazine price. I don't believe they make a 22 conversion for the GT-9/45 however, and they're expensive, well above the price threshold.

Not quite as good, but shocking for the price and its basis as a combat firearm is the Beretta M9. Capable of exceeding the 10-shot group of 3 inches at 50 meters out of the box IAW requirements. In its match configuration pioneered by the AMU it can be below the 1" 10 shot 50 yard group threshold. A middle ground is simply add a KKM slow twist barrel and will most likely be within 2" with match JHP ammunition. With the brigadier slide you can modify sights easier. We call these “Poor Man’s Berettas”.

These need nothing out of the box. They can't be upgraded to any better than they already are. I can't speak to the accuracy of American made SIG's but I know the Swiss made examples are literal tack drivers.
The accuracy of the American 210 is every bit as good as the Swiss.
The Swiss were good as is, truly one of the greatest combat pistols ever created, but that doesn't translate to the German and American. The Swiss target products with Hammerli involvement were effectively custom products by today's standards, like the Hammerli 208/208S, truly amazing firearms. Small parts are now MIM, no longer hand fit, design of the trigger changed, and lockup modified (for the worse) as a cost cutting measure from the original browning to the Sig style, etc. The test target is now at 25m vice 50m however the groups are are about the same size. Several test targets I saw would barely hold the 10 ring and definitely not X, which means that you are giving up points before you start the match. Small sample size. Regardless, with a trigger from the factory often below the CMP EIC minimum and a long take-up it can be tough to setup initially. Other issues are the lack of rail, dissimilar grip angle (to a 1911), low quality internal parts (MIM), which can't be readily replaced with tool steel and therefore many Bullseye Gunsmiths won't work on them. For those and other reasons, I don't advise Bullseye shooters to pick up a P210. Head to Camp Perry for Pistol Nationals, Interservice or Cardinal and and so far I've seen zero P-210s on the line for the High Master shooters, I've also not seen one on the line with any professional/military shooting team. More importantly, look at national/international precision pistol titles won with a P210 since its inception, so far I have found none.

http://www.pistolenspezialist.de/epages/62174389.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/62174389/Categories/%22SIG%20P210%20Tuning

·
Registered
21,669 Posts
But his intent is to take advantage of a huge discount on Sig only.
Pretty good at half price may trump championship grade.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Great discussion. I am not a championship grade shooter nor will ever be....would never have the level of time or commitment.

It would be like asking....”I can get any new Chevy for 50% off. Should I get a Vette.” Sure a used Mustang might be a better deal but it’s still not a used Vette.

So I guess what I am really asking is this.../if you get any new, currently made Sig at half off, what would be a great option?

I currently own a nice Q5 that’s upgraded that i shoot in carry optics classes. I also have a Shadow 2 at CGW right now. I plan to use that in production. I used a modified Ruger 22/45 for bullseye and plates. What I am missing is a good, SA 9M. I think for $850 the P210 Target might work great for me.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts