1911Forum banner
61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I believe that's true. My appreciation of the aesthetic value of a painting, sculpture, car, firearm, etc. is my own and others may see things differently. That's what makes the world go round.

That said, I do have two favorites.

For the automatic pistol, I think the Walther PP is the most beautiful.

It's lines, proportions, and the quality of production bespeak a 19th Century appreciation of combining form and function, even though it was introduced in 1929.

For the revolver, I contend that the Colt 1860 Army is a true work of art.

The slim, sleek profile appear to be almost organic. A true product of its era, it is a 19th Century statement that a functional weapon can still be striking in its presentation.

Alas, mine is not an original Colt but a very good Pietta reproduction.

The family resemblance here is striking. The 1860 gets much of its good looks from its older, smaller brethren, a Colt 1849 Pocket (this is a real Colt built in 1864). But the larger revolver brings its own handsome features to the forefront.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
I agree, it seems nineteenth and early twentieth century designs seem more elegant and thoughtful, but here is a late twentieth century design I find beautiful. EAA Witnness Elite 10mm built by Tanfoglio, displayed in one of my own holsters.
IMG_1290 (1).jpg

·
Premium Member
9,859 Posts
True enough, but remember one thing: if you put enough cheese on a turd, you can probably get it to taste good... :)
There is actually a lot of truth in that statement. Dumping $500 in aftermarket parts (cheese) makes it far more enjoyable than the soap box derby block that came in the box! 😆

61 - 68 of 68 Posts