1911Forum banner
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
They say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I believe that's true. My appreciation of the aesthetic value of a painting, sculpture, car, firearm, etc. is my own and others may see things differently. That's what makes the world go round.

That said, I do have two favorites.

For the automatic pistol, I think the Walther PP is the most beautiful.

It's lines, proportions, and the quality of production bespeak a 19th Century appreciation of combining form and function, even though it was introduced in 1929.

For the revolver, I contend that the Colt 1860 Army is a true work of art.

The slim, sleek profile appear to be almost organic. A true product of its era, it is a 19th Century statement that a functional weapon can still be striking in its presentation.

Alas, mine is not an original Colt but a very good Pietta reproduction.

The family resemblance here is striking. The 1860 gets much of its good looks from its older, smaller brethren, a Colt 1849 Pocket (this is a real Colt built in 1864). But the larger revolver brings its own handsome features to the forefront.

Anyway, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
I agree, it seems nineteenth and early twentieth century designs seem more elegant and thoughtful, but here is a late twentieth century design I find beautiful. EAA Witnness Elite 10mm built by Tanfoglio, displayed in one of my own holsters.
Wood Machine Metal Sewing machine needle Auto part

·
Premium Member
10,503 Posts
True enough, but remember one thing: if you put enough cheese on a turd, you can probably get it to taste good... :)
There is actually a lot of truth in that statement. Dumping $500 in aftermarket parts (cheese) makes it far more enjoyable than the soap box derby block that came in the box! 😆

·
Registered
169 Posts
Of course, I like 1911s and Hi Powers more than anything else, but for a wheelgun, it has to be a Colt SAA, preferably with a 7.5" barrel, they just seem the best balanced in appearance to MY eyes

. I always thought the Python was a bit overblown and corpulent, like a big, brassy blonde.

Lugers look nice, but they just dont "do it" for me, even the P-38 is more appealing

. For a DA wheelgun, it would probably be the K-frame Smiths. I can't shoot an N-frame worth a hoot, though the N-frame chamberings are the best of the bunch. I'm quite fond of the Smith Model 3s, of course, they have outstanding lines, but the Colts fit my hands better.
At least these are strictly opinions, and preferences, and that can't be argued.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts

Reactions: Oldsalt65

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Beauty comes in many shapes and sizes, just a few of my beauty queens.
Revolver Wood Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Revolver Air gun Trigger Wood Machine gun

Air gun Revolver Trigger Everyday carry Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Gun accessory

Air gun Wood Trigger Shotgun Gun barrel
Air gun Trigger Plant Sports equipment Gun barrel
Air gun Machine gun Trigger Shotgun Wood
White Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Everyday carry
Revolver Air gun Calipers Trigger Wood

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I like my choice of Smith & Wesson No. 3 as most beautiful, but there sure are some close runners up, handguns that look so fine whether as-new or scroungy from hard use.

Of course as-new is more appealing.

Colt Government Model

High Power
Vertebrate Air gun Trigger Wood Line

Luger

Smith & Wesson New Century Hand Ejector (Triple Lock)

Colt Single Action Army

And I just gotta include one of these, the Colt Model 1903.

Lots more could be found and posted.

I sort of hold to the "nothing-good-after-World-War-II" notion. If the handgun's design is post war then it's not likely to be a looker and won't likely be feature of the month in a collectible gun calendar. Guns produced on the cheap may be great for ease of manufacturing, may even function well, but aluminum alloy, black plastic, and piano wire are soulless.

Same as cars. Once the excessive intrusion of government regulation took hold after about 1972, how many post 1972 American cars are featured in collector car calendars? Ford Granadas and Tauruses, Chevrolet Citations, Cadillac Cimarrons, Plymouth Reliants, and Dodge Caravans just don't have the caché. Don't now and never will.

·
Premium Member
6,392 Posts
Beauty comes in many shapes and sizes, just a few of my beauty queens.

View attachment 614785
Mercy ... clearly I was correct in wishing my SW1911PCRB had shipped with E-series grip stocks. The VZ OEM panels were a bit too thick for my hands and a bit too garish for my tastes. Those Altamonts(?) on the "E" are knockouts on a pistol nearly identical in appearance. sigh.

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Mercy ... clearly I was correct in wishing my SW1911PCRB had shipped with E-series grip stocks. The VZ OEM panels were a bit too thick for my hands and a bit too garish for my tastes. Those Altamonts(?) on the "E" are knockouts on a pistol nearly identical in appearance. sigh.
To the best of my knowledge, Altamont does make the "E" series (among others) for S&W. Yes, they are quite beautiful, aren't they?

·
Administrator
75,445 Posts
I agree, it seems nineteenth and early twentieth century designs seem more elegant and thoughtful, but here is a late twentieth century design I find beautiful. EAA Witnness Elite 10mm built by Tanfoglio, displayed in one of my own holsters. View attachment 614445
I hate to tell ya buddy, but if that holster is supposed to make your gun invisible it ain't working. ;)

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
For me, this is my prettiest:

And then this:
That's quite a beauty of a S & W 945. I have one also, except that it is blue and not blue and stainless.

And your Broomhandle Mauser is spectacular. Sure wish I had one of those.

·
Registered
687 Posts
For me it's the size and proportions of a CCO 1911 with a slightly rounded butt. The shorter slide / barrel in conjunction with the shorter grip frame just makes for a perfectly proportioned pistol. I am especially fond of this one.
Air gun Trigger Wood Mammal Gun barrel

·
Registered
110 Posts
Post #5 above illustrates the fact that, while most of the handguns regarded as beautiful are from the 19th and early 20th Century there were obvious exceptions even during that time period!

The handguns I have always regarded as being the most aesthetically pleasing are as follows:

Classic 1911/1911A1 (obviously):
View attachment 614105

Colt Single Action Army:
View attachment 614106

Luger P.08:
View attachment 614107

Beretta 92:
View attachment 614108

S&W early Model 3 and Schofield:
View attachment 614109

Smith & Wesson Model 29:
View attachment 614110

Walther PPK:
View attachment 614111

There are others, but that's just a start...
Back when art was still part of the equation…

I don’t own any old guns. I own a lot of modern replicas though. This case hardened Cimarron Buntline is my middle boy’s favorite. I have to agree with him.

Wood Gas Door Machine Air gun

Trigger Revolver Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Premium Member
10,503 Posts
Good lord, some of you guys are killin’ me......I need to refocus the allocation of some of my offshore banking funds to catch up. Apparently, I am woefully behind in the “class” category. And No, I do NOT own Glocks!!

61 - 80 of 108 Posts