1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about getting a 9mm, or .380 if it's the only choice, backup pistol/revolver for concealed carry that won't print if I opt to keep it my pants pocket.

Needs to be reliable, of course. Any brand or design is acceptable. I really don't want to spend much more than $400 if I can help it. Is there such an animal?

·
Registered
802 Posts
Hey Traev

The Keltec P11 9mmm is about the smallest I've seen other than the Colt Pocket Nine - DA trigger and 11 rounds with one in the tube - smaller/thinner than a mini-Glock. At $250 or so it's good and can be slicked up with a minimum of effort...too bad they don't make a single stack version. Depends on the pocket, but it's pretty small for an 11 round 9mm. My experience with them has been good as far as reliability goes and shootability is pretty good.

The Colt lightweight 380's are small but the one I had wasn't reliable - and I didn't want to spend a chunk on it at SM&A. Feedback from friends with the Keltec 32 like them since they're so small and light - but they're not a 380 or 9

·
Registered
489 Posts
Hey traevin...Man..you are going to have 1911 posts very soon.

My friend has a government 380 that is a very cool gun...It shoots great and conceals well...It seems to me he paid just a little over 400 for his...I have been looking for one for myself.

·
Registered
548 Posts
The Kahr P9 is about $475 in the Atlanta area. It is the best of the mini 9s.

Many people like the Kel-Tec but my experience with it was not positive. I will say that even if it works right, the Kel-Tec cannot be shot as well as the P9 because of the poor trigger characteristics of the Kel-Tec.

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
Lightweight-Kahr P9/P40

Concealable-Kahr MK9

Reliable, good sights, good trigger, and accurate for their size. As a matter of fact, I have a P40 in an ankle holster right now.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The Kahr MK9 is the smallest. Significantly thinner than a Kel-Tec. And also has a lower capacity, since it is single-stack. The MK9 is relatively heavy. I do carry one in a pocket holster from Rusty Sherrick. When I'm wearing jeans, you can tell that I have something in my front pocket, but it looks pretty much like a wallet. With looser pants like pleated Dockers, you probably wouldn't see it at all.

Most .380s these days are actually larger than the Kahr MK9. Both the Walther PPK and Sig 230/232 are larger than the MK9.

M1911

·
Registered
731 Posts
I have a Colt Pony (380) and LOVE it. It is a great gun right out of the box. VERY eay to conceal. I paid $475 for mine.

Billy Ray

·
Registered
370 Posts
think like a russian and think ...MAKAROV
a bit bigger than a walther, cost about $200, reliable, and corbon /hornady make defensive ammo for it. fiocchi makes HP rounds and the russians started to import HP rounds for about $7 a box, regular russian ammo costs about $6 a box, its pretty accurate gun too.
get the east german model for the fit and finish, bulgarian 2nd and russian 3rd

------------------
Caspian frame + Colt parts = Col-spian? or Cas-olt?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Kahr P9.
In pocket holster applications, we find it easier to conceal than even the MK9 due to the weight reduction. On the belt, the MK9 is a little easier to conceal, but it's all academic- they're both very slim guns and infinitely easier to conceal than full size guns.

------------------
SKD Tactical Accessories
www.skdtac.com
Your source for hard-core, no-bs gear.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Originally posted by HeadHunter:
The Kahr P9 is about $475 in the Atlanta area. It is the best of the mini 9s.

Many people like the Kel-Tec but my experience with it was not positive. I will say that even if it works right, the Kel-Tec cannot be shot as well as the P9 because of the poor trigger characteristics of the Kel-Tec.
Some cannot shoot the Kahr due to it's small grip. Your trigger finger hits your thumb etc. making it hard/impossible to squeeze the trigget.......
BT

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
K9 or MK9, *** bag or belly band. The Mak is great if budget is a prob, but much bigger and less powerful. I have tried some of the Russian HP ammo and it gives a textbokk mushroom despite the steel jacket. Thing about the Kahrs is that they are utterly reliable and very stout. Great to work on too since the basic unit is precisely machined, not all belt sanded like a lot of pistols.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I absolutley loved my Sig-P239!
I only got rid of it in a weak moment when I was convinced that the 9mm round was anemic and the P239 only has 8+1 capacity. It carried extremley well in my Blade Tech FBI cant J Hook IWB. Maybe Ill get another, one day after I recoop from the Kimber SLE I bought.

------------------
IceCreamSoldier............... what else is so easy to attack........

·
Registered
121 Posts
In my line of work, I carry the Keltec P-11 as my primary weapon. I've had it for over two years now, and never, ever had a problem with reliability. I've fired well over 3,000 rounds without any problems. It may be a personal choice, but for me, it shoots well, and is accurate. The round capacity is the best going for that size, and the cost is attractive as well. I chose the Keltec over the Glock 26 both because of the weight and dimensions, as well as the cost. It hasn't failed me yet.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts