1911Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking that this might be the ideal carry gun, but I don't know quite where to start. Maybe the question is What's the least expensive way to get an aluminum-framed Commander? I'm sure it's not a new Colt XSE. And then I can go from there...

·
Premium Member
20,405 Posts
The jury's still out on bobtailing an aluminum frame. Guys have said it's done, but there isn't much metal to work with around the new pin hole.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have bob-tailed many a light weight frame. Not much material around the mainspring pin hole for sure. Trick is to use a punch and hand pressure or to support the other side of the frame if driveing out with a punch. I have seen plenty of non bob-tailed alum frames ruined by careless removal or replacement of the pin holding the mainspring housing.(cracks around the pin hole) Worst problem is the refinishing of the alum after the cuts for the bob-tail. We usually blast finish the frame, as anodizing, if not done perfectly can lead to all sorts of problems.
A lightweight bob-tail is a great carry gun but as with any lightweight I wouldn't necessarily use it as a "range gun". I have about 8k thru one of my carry pieces with no problems with cracks or feedramp gouging but I don't "think" its a 25k round piece.:eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts