· Registered
116 Posts
Most important features...

1. Reliability.

2. Sights you can see.

3. Reliability.

4. A trigger you can control easily.

5. Reliability.

6. Concealability (a very subjective quality).

7. Oh, yeah -- reliability.

· Registered
353 Posts
One word..... "reliability"

· Registered
694 Posts
Like most, if not all, I will not carry a gun that I don't know by experience will function EVERY time the trigger is pulled. :rock:

I do think sights are sometimes overrated as, even though I have not used my 1911 in a life or death situation, one may not even have the opportunity to use the sights before you need to pull the trigger. :hrm:

That being said, when I was taking a low light shooting class a couple of years ago the instructor was thinking about putting tape over my night sights so I couldn't shoot so well in the dark. Excuse me but isn't hitting what I'm aiming at in the dark the reason I have night sights to begin with? :scratch:

My Kimber Pro CDP II has the 'carry bevel treatment' to round and blend the edges for carrying. (dehorned). The problem I see is the slide serrations are also smoothed down. This makes the slide difficult to grasp and rack without slippage if there is any lubricant on the slide. :rolleyes:

The question I keep asking myself is, heaven forbid, what if the lubricant on the slide effecting the operation is my own blood? :(

· Registered
1,415 Posts
It has to be of size and weight for you that will lend itself to being carried all the time. If you don't have your gun with you, it doesn't matter how reliable, accurate etc it is. Of course those things would be next in line...

· Registered
234 Posts
We all seem to agree ........... its gotsta go BANG every time.

I few years back I bought a used Millennium PT111, I hate the trigger but it has never failed.........its a pillow gun that has 1000 plus rds and no glitches.

Its goes regularly to the range with the rest of the boys.........;)

DaySunnyw/Clouds;

· Administrator
80,886 Posts
Actually, aside from reliability (which has pretty well been covered so far), the next most important thing is what you use to carry it. A durable holster that retains the weapon, and doesn't allow triggers to be accidentally pulled and safeties to disengage is of paramount importance.

· Banned
410 Posts
Reliable
Caliber (9mm is minimum for me, prefer larger)
Relatively snag free
Small (3.5" 1911 is right on the upper limit for me)
Thin (favorite was an S&W 3913)
Lightweight (aluminum frame)
3-dot sights or night sights
No ambidextrous safety
Accurate

It seems no one else mentioned caliber. Strange. Also, accuracy as most of us think about it is that important to me. I probably will never be shooting at someone at more than 10 yards. At 7 yards I rapid fired 7 rounds from my 3" Kimber and put them in a 4" circle. Not pro by a long shot, but not many people are going to keep fighting after being hit with that many Cor-bons. Since I can't do it on my best day, having a gun that can put 7 bullets in a 2" circle at 50 yards isn't important to me.

· Registered
241 Posts
bigboyhf said:
It has to be of size and weight for you that will lend itself to being carried all the time. If you don't have your gun with you, it doesn't matter how reliable, accurate etc it is. Of course those things would be next in line...
Carryguns are not by neccessity carried ALL OF THE TIME. They exist for when that need arises. I do have a Kimber UltraCarry. But, that fact aside, if I felt I needed to be armed, I'd carry a Governemt Model. If I have the need, the GM will be there, ALL OF THE TIME. The UltraCarry does makes a nice BU. But more likely there will be a 12 gauge pump close by. Which is a much more reliable stopper.

I have, in the past, "carried" a GM 24/7. It isn't that much of a burden. Especially when your ass is in deep, serious trouble. When I wasn't sleeping, it was on my belt. When I was sleeping, it was comfortingly nearby. The dog also helped.

A carrygun should be the most powerful handgun you can shoot well. They must be reliable and give the needed accuracy. Pocketguns are cute, but IMO, give less than serious service in defense. They do beat a sharp stick though.

Jerry

G

·
important features

not in order of importance
1) concealability

2) reliability

3) power

4) holds five or more rounds

5) comfortable to carry

· Registered
218 Posts
Sights you can see so you can get the most out of dry fire practice.
Concealability that fits with your life style. Office work, outdoors, hot
climate, cold climate, non-office work, etc.
The longest sight radius you can conceal.
Managable recoil for quick follow up shots. Enough punch that you wont have to empty the mag on one target. A caliber that isn't super exotic, that you can get reasonably priced practice ammo for if you don't handload.
A common enough model that will give you a choice of good concealed carry rigs available, BELTand holster. Don't go cheap on the belt.
Something you can operate with either hand.
Did anybody mention reliability?:scratch:

· Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the Grips and the front strap are important because if you are hot and sweaty or freezing cold, you got to be able to draw it smoothly and quickly and you gotta be able to hold on tight.
I agree with the "Snag free" features.

· Registered
757 Posts
Shootalot said:
Like most, if not all, I will not carry a gun that I don't know by experience will function EVERY time the trigger is pulled. :rock:

I do think sights are sometimes overrated as, even though I have not used my 1911 in a life or death situation, one may not even have the opportunity to use the sights before you need to pull the trigger. :hrm:

That being said, when I was taking a low light shooting class a couple of years ago the instructor was thinking about putting tape over my night sights so I couldn't shoot so well in the dark. Excuse me but isn't hitting what I'm aiming at in the dark the reason I have night sights to begin with? :scratch:

My Kimber Pro CDP II has the 'carry bevel treatment' to round and blend the edges for carrying. (dehorned). The problem I see is the slide serrations are also smoothed down. This makes the slide difficult to grasp and rack without slippage if there is any lubricant on the slide. :rolleyes:

The question I keep asking myself is, heaven forbid, what if the lubricant on the slide effecting the operation is my own blood? :(
The CDP line is far from "dehorned" - but rather sports the full melt treatment that couldn't get any slicker. For a nice dehorned pistol, check out the Kobra Carry. Peoblem with my CDP is that I need special holsters for it as it can prove a tad too loose in any other standard or even dehorned rig.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.