1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
got the hankering for a 3 inch 1911.but i want it dependable. been looking at colt defender and springer ultra compact. yeah i know the ultra is a 3 1/2 incher. so lets hear your horror stories

·
Registered
705 Posts
I had no issues from my U.C.
When I got it home from the store, I polished the feed ramp & chamber before ever firing a round and it was good to go. The only issue I have with any ultra is ejecting a loaded chambered round, seems difficult for me anyway.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
My Defender is pretty reliable except when it decides to wack me in the forehead with brass. I have others complain about this too. I just have to fix it or learn to duck.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I've had few issues with my early production U/C. Only issues with Wilson magazines. But I do not recommend 3" 1911s. If I had to do it over again I'd go with a 4" officers.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Ive been carrying a Para C6 for a while now. No poblems with over 1500 rounds. To be honest though, I've been dying to get a defender. When i do have the cash, cant seem to find one. But they always pop up when cash is short.

·
Super Moderator
14,938 Posts
I only have experience with three 3-inch 1911's. The first was a Para P-10 in 45acp. It was a problem from the beginning, and despite warranty work at Cylinder & Slide, it never would feed reliably and kept breaking ejectors.

The second is a Colt Defender in 45acp. It was totally reliable right out of the box. It needed a little tweaking of the extractor to keep from throwing brass in my face, and needed the "V" ground off the back of the grip safety, and a trigger job, but it is now and has been for several years, a great little pistol.

My third 3-inch 1911 is a fairly new Kimber Ultra Aegis II in 9mm. It had a lot of "issues" that I won't go into detail here, but after three trips to Kimber, they finally got it right. It has been totally reliable for about the last 2K rounds.

Both the Defender and Aegis are surprisingly accurate.

There are many knowledgeable, experienced people on this board and elsewhere, whose opinions I respect, that have little use for "short barreled" 1911's. But, I like 'em, and have have mostly good experiences with them.

And, BTW, I've also had two Para c7.45, 3.5" barrel, both bought used, that have been totally reliable and accurate.

·
Registered
241 Posts
The only one I've ever shot is the Colt New Agent, and I love it. It's now my primary carry weapon.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I only have experience with the Colt Defender and a Springfield GI Micro. The GI Micro needed a trip back to Springfield to get it running. I traded it off on the Defender which has run without failures of any type straight from the box. The only thing I changed on it is sights and the grip safety with a Wilson drop in.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've had my Kimber Ultra Carry for 3 years. 100% reliable and groups 5" @ 50yds from a rest.

G

·
this is another vote for the Colt New Agent. I had some break in issues with it when brand new but it is 100% reliable now days and NEVER misses a beat. It's my daily carry now and I carry it with great confidence.

·
Registered
160 Posts
To the guys with the new Agent:

How do you like or get used to those rail sights? I have checked them out and was wondering how good they work. I imagine they are ball park accurate but I can't imagine any precision shooting with those. How good are they?

·
Registered
576 Posts
My Springer UC is great. The only issue I had was with the extractor. Had it re-tensioned and haven't had a problem since. :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
"I imagine they are ball park accurate but I can't imagine any precision shooting with those."

That's sorta the intent...an up close & personal weapon.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Im not exactly sure what the compact barrel size is on the RIA but it is reliable.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Both My Agent and Defender have been 100% since day one.
As for the Agent sights with a little practice they are fine for a SD gun. This pistol isn't made for target shooting. Also Colt wasn't the first to try this been around a lot of years. I like better than my Defender 3 dot. My eyes are getting real bad and I can find the gutter faster the other.

·
Registered
241 Posts
G

·
I personally had very little adjustment time with the groove sights on my New Agent. Most self defense shootings occur in less than 7 yards, and for me at the 20-25 foot range I can repeatedly tear the center out of a silouette target. It forces you to learn a more point/shoot aiming technique which also would be more natural in a self defense situation. Most bad guys won't be sitting REAL STILL for you while you try and line up you 3-dot sights. It's really pretty easy, you just look down the slide and put the target at the top of the groove and squeeze one off.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts