1911Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just shot my first fun pistol competition at my club. I used my SR 1911 of course. (came in 2nd out of 9 people)
I didn't realize they had an optics and non-optics category.
So I just watched the second round and helped out a little with timing and scoring.
I don't want to go buying any crazy race guns, and I just discovered many mount and ring sets on ebay for Colt "I" frame revolvers which I am pretty sure my 357 is. Any one have suggestions for a good mount and scope?
There are cheapo Bushnell mounts and some nice Redfields, all under $30.

Thanks

Jim

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I guess it depends on how much you want to sink into your .357 Magnum. I'm guessing that the frame hasn't been drilled for a scope mount. That will be a requirement for any mount. Some have been designed to mount where the rear sight screws into the frame, but usually require an additional hole or two in the top strap.

A decent red dot will work for more "casual" competition. I've had "regular" scopes mounted on revolvers, and I've more or less evolved to red dots. They're easier to see, and a lot of them have adjustments to change dot size, pattern, etc. I currently have a red dot mounted on my S&W Model 625. I can't imagine shooting without it.

I've also mounted a scope on my Ruger MkII and MkIII pistols, as well as my S&W Model 52 in .38 Special.

You also need to consider if your Colt .357 is a collector piece. If so, mounting a scope will make it a shooter grade revolver.

The mounts are the most critical aspect, so don't scrimp on the cost.

PS - I looked on eBay, and the Redfield mounts are "new old stock". They look to be for a standard scope.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have looked at scopes first. They are pricey.
Maybe I can find a red dot with a 1" tube if such a thing exists.
I grabbed a Weaver set off of Ebay. It is supposed to be a no drill set.

I don't think it is a collector, but I do like it, and I think the value has gone up over the last few years. $400-$500 tops.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts