1911Forum banner

Mounting a Scope Question

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  yeti 
#1 ·
I would like to put a scope on my 1991 government to use shooting bullseye. What do you call the mounting bracket? I can't find anything searching on the internet. I don't think I am really stupid but sure would appreciate a little guidance.

Thanks!!

#4 ·
Due you truly want to mount a scope or are you looking to mount the current trend, which is a red dot optical sight? If red dot just put in a search for red dot 1911 adapter plate. Theres many, but its best to have the sight you wish to mount decided on as some are different and you want to be sure and get a plate that is compatible with both the sight and gun. For your 1991 it will be a plate to replace your rear sight. Or a gunsmith can mill the slide or install a frame mount. But that is more costly and time consuming.

#5 · (Edited)
As in the above post RMR's mount without modifying the slide or receiver. The rear sight is removed and a small adaptor is slid into the dovetail. Two screws attach the mounting plate that fits the curvature of the top of the slide making for a nice clean/sturdy mount.

This can later be removed and restored to original if the sight doesn't meet you needs. This set up has been used for quite a few years and has been successful in both B/E and action pistol games.

The slide can also be machined to allow mounting lower if that is your preference.

Shoot more, clean less in 2020,

#11 · (Edited)
Over on the Bulleye-L forum there is a pistolsmith in California that makes a very well made scope mounting rail. If you read through the link below you will see the rail can be mounted without removing the sights,

www.bullseyeforum.net/t11310-1911-scope-rail

The rail will mount on the top of the slide with three or four screws. I would suggest getting an experienced machinist to drill and tap the holes as some slides are very hard and it is easy to break a tap. Most Bullseye shooters like a slide mount to soften up recoil. These rails will hold up to 185JHP target loads. It takes some trail and error to find the correct recoil spring, usually I start with a straight 12 pound and work down until the slide locks back consistently.

Frame mounts can be hard to set up well. Some experienced Bullseye pistolsmiths would build up the dustcover area so there was more material for the mounting screws. The advantage of a frame mount is that very soft bunnyfart or one-bouncer loads can be shot.

#7 ·
Post #5 does not require front sight removal.

Frame mounting may require permanent modification to the frame.

There were mounts that replaced a grip panel and used those screw holes but none were sturdy or reliable.

All the best,

#9 ·
Bullseye-L Forum

Another source of info on all things Bulls-Eye: "BullsEye-L Forum"

All the best,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.