i'd like to get some input on mouseguns; i
live in Texas near the Gulf Cost & we get
some VERYYY HOT summers down here. i'll soon
be buying a Kimber CDP-PRO as my main carry,
but i would like a mousegun for use where the
1911 may be inapproiate. here are some of my
choices; tell me what you think:
North American Arms 32ACP; local dealer says
they're OK, a little picky on some ammo.
Colt 380 Mustang & possibly some custom work
later by Scott,McDougall & Associates. i've
owned one before & really liked it.
and now for #3 & this is a real toughie??!!
Colt Pocket9; is this a little too big?? to
be carried in a pair of Dockers in the
front pocket & be comfortable. i also want to
say & i hope i don't piss in anyone's
cornflakes with this comment, i honestly
think that the 9MM is an overrated weinie of
a gun, but if a Pocket9 could be comfortable
i could begrudingly give it serious thought.
i'll probably lean more to the Mustang &
Cor-Bons since they're still fairly plentiful
out there.
any comments,thoughts,suggestions; good,bad,
ugly & otherwise welcome.
thanks guys,
hydrashock185

------------------
if you can't get it done
with a 1911 GIVE UP!!!

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
FWIW... The NAA 32 is a good gun, I prefer it to the Seecamp, mainly due to the mag release being more "familiar". I never had any problems with any ammo in a Guardian. Some people also like the P32 KelTec, but I would still go with NAA.

NAA will be releasing the same gun in a .380 soon, basically, just barely bigger than the 32, certainly still "pocket sized". Here's a pic from the SHOT show... http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=1435922&a=10764916&p=38129881

I am not a big fan of the 380, and even less so the 32, but they certainly will give you an edge over have that good solid standby... The 00 Nada...

I looked at the Pocket 9 for a time, and really liked it... Almost bought one, but though that the Kahr P9 was a better choice, it's slightly larger, holds 1 more, it's lighter, and the mags can be had pretty easily. At least the 9mm is something I can bet my life on, where the 380, or smaller still leaves some doubt.

I plan on getting SM&A to do the Grip mod on my P9, and it could certainly be a "pocket gun". If Kahr would ever build an Alloy or Poly MK, the planets might finaly be in complete alignment

If your really serious about the 380, consider the NAA, it should be a great performer, and definately fills a niche that Kel-Tec hasn't addressed yet.

G

·
Originally posted by hydrashock185:
i honestly
a gun
Bet you wouldn't stand still if someone was shooting at you with one.

Gotta be some reason why so many PD's and ALL the world's armies carry nines.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Get the Keltec P32. Considering the weight of the NAA and mini Colts, you could just about pack a Kahr P9. The whole idea behind a mouse gun is to easy concealment.

However, if you choose the NAA, it's a nice gun. The Colt .380 is also a nice piece with a few mods.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Hey Hydrashock
I live about 30 minutes south of you
I have 3 mouseguns if ya wanna try em!
I have a kel-Tec 32
Colt Mustang 380
Astra firecat 25

Drop me a line

------------------
Style, Fit & Function you get it all with an M/D Holster
www.customholsters.com
[email protected]

Remember,, Cow aint just aint for food!!
100% satisfaction or I buy it back!

"Holsters" the only real cure for mad cow disease!!!

·
Registered
187 Posts
The Colt Pocket Nine fits very well in Docker type pockets. I have a pocket holster that also carries an extra mag and still fits easily in the pocket! Also, the Pocket Nine weighs only 17 oz., so it is very easy to carry and the 9mm is certainly better than a 32 or .380 (although they will do).

------------------
Big Arm

·
Registered
610 Posts
Something else you might want to look at is a Ruger SP101 chambered in .32 Magnum. This round has muzzle velocities comparable to a .357. I honestly can't tell you what the knock down power is, having never been able to find any reliable statistics on it.
As far as use as a mouse gun, the .32 Mag is a very stable round, and has a mild recoil. You can get some 85 grain hollow points for it and it would probally do just fine.
Just another little something to think about.

Steve

·
Registered
322 Posts
I have to second the Kel-Tec P32. IMO, NO other gun (including the other 32's) is as concealable as the P32 because of its weight (6.6 oz) and thickness (a mere .75 inches). You can drop it in a pocket, and not even know it is there. Seriously.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Originally posted by hydrashock185:
i'd like to get some input on mouseguns; i
live in Texas near the Gulf Cost & we get
some VERYYY HOT summers down here. i'll soon
be buying a Kimber CDP-PRO as my main carry,
but i would like a mousegun for use where the
1911 may be inapproiate. here are some of my
choices; tell me what you think:
North American Arms 32ACP; local dealer says
they're OK, a little picky on some ammo.
Colt 380 Mustang & possibly some custom work
later by Scott,McDougall & Associates. i've
owned one before & really liked it.
and now for #3 & this is a real toughie??!!
Colt Pocket9; is this a little too big?? to
be carried in a pair of Dockers in the
front pocket & be comfortable. i also want to
say & i hope i don't piss in anyone's
cornflakes with this comment, i honestly
a gun, but if a Pocket9 could be comfortable
i could begrudingly give it serious thought.
i'll probably lean more to the Mustang &
Cor-Bons since they're still fairly plentiful
out there.
any comments,thoughts,suggestions; good,bad,
ugly & otherwise welcome.
thanks guys,
hydrashock185

I think for an small personal protection firearm, you shouldnt buy a automatic but a smith&wesson .38 chief special. Even though I am a sworn enemy of smith&wesson you just cant beat their revolvers.
my emali is by the way [email protected]!

·
Registered
445 Posts
HEY HYDRASHOCK185: GUNNUTS HERE,I vote KAHR MK9 in stainless, 115 GR. +P CORBON,You didn't piss in my cornflakes but you might piss somebody off if you shoot them with a 32!

·
Registered
30 Posts
I like the kel-tec 32 but-with these little fellows (especially) dont assume high preformance ammo will do what it says-Shot about 7or 8 hi-tech expanding loads from the kel-tec and only 2 even started to expand. Chrony says there too slow. Buy the hi-tech bullets,load your own and shoot them in something to check expansion-you will be suprised,I sure was.Get,em moven and they'll do the job.

·
Registered
32 Posts
in the future i'm looking to get a mouse gun too. i am 99% sure i'm going with a beretta tomcat inox in 32 acp. my wife has one in 25 acp, and i love that lil gun. reeliable, sturby and i like to flip up barrel feature. only problem is that teh 32's are running mid to low 300's. good luck, jim

·
Registered
356 Posts
Personaly I think an airweight S&W in .38 special would be the way to go. If the hammer is bobbed or it is the concealed hammer models. I live in the same area down near Galveston. I carry a Beretta Tomcat as a backup gun on duty but sometimes it has a tendency to fail to feed. The revolver gives you five for sure. A gun in the pocket picks up all kind of gunk. The revolver has a closed action making it less likly to have a failure to fire. These are only my thoughts and the advice given here seems quite senseable, Good Luck.

------------------
Men sleep safe in there beds at night because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Go with a revolver. Small gun still in a big enough caliber to be put into service as a carry gun. All these new wiz bang 32's are great but for my money Ill keep on carrying my 640. You can get into a USED S&W 442 or such for around $300. Not quite as light as a Kel-Tec 32 but alot more punch!

Carry a big enough cal to stop the bad guy, I know its all in shot placement, but 38 is about as low as I would consider in a carry gun.

We just had a shoot out here in Vegas about a year ago where in the off duty LEO had a seacamp 32 put 7 rounds into the bad guy at less then 4 feet and the bad guy is in prison now not in the morgue.

·
Registered
861 Posts
My summer carry is a Kel-Tec P11, Uncle Mikes #1 IWB, and a baggy golf shirt. I'm in central Louisiana not far from you. FWIW just chronographed some Winchester white box 115 gr FMJ out of the P11. Average speed - 1,045 fps, extreme spread 59.9 fps, 10 rounds. Carry ammo is 124 gr Hydrashok. P11 has proved itself reliable thus far.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Originally posted by Eich1:

<snip>
Carry a big enough cal to stop the bad guy, I know its all in shot placement, but 38 is about as low as I would consider in a carry gun.

We just had a shoot out here in Vegas about a year ago where in the off duty LEO had a seacamp 32 put 7 rounds into the bad guy at less then 4 feet and the bad guy is in prison now not in the morgue.

I agree with the thought. Trooper Mark Coates put 5 .357 125gr JHPs into the "Center Mass" of Richard Blackburn along I-95 a few years ago. Blackburn is now serving a life sentance for killing Coates with a .22 (clipped the arota-took almost 20 minutes to kill him) *after he was shot 5 times*. Blackburn was never incapacitated and apparently never in pain, nor was he on drugs.

Handguns cannot be counted on to work!

I go by John Hall's "4 rules for gunfighting" John took over the FBI F.T.U. in the aftermath of the "Miami Masacre" and turned the program into something serious. He gave us (a visiting class of L.E. firearms instructors) his rules after telling us of a guy who they shot 65 times (9mm 115gr silvertips, 00 buck and .223) who lived to sue them for "exessive use of force", but that is another story.

4 Rules For Gunfighting:

1. Bring a gun
2. Bring a BIG gun!
3. Bigger *is* better, and more is more
4. Pretty ain't important.

Not bad thinking for a government employee

After long experience looking at case histories I will add rule 1a - make sure it's loaded
- you would not believe the number of cases I have seen where it was not! We just had one come across the Gunsite Alumni list where a fellow shot a robber repeatedly with a .38 (twice in the head). Each time he looked to see if the guy was out of the fight the BG would attempt to shoot him. Finally he gave up, but still had energy to struggle with the paramedics when they arrived. They found out his gun had an empty chamber so it was of course not firing when he tried to pot his victim.

Life is not for ametures

Onward!
Jim Higginbotham

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
I would go with a S&W revolver like a 442 in 38 special.They are easy to conceal and they don`t weigh much.Plus 38 special is a decent man stopper.

·
Registered
75 Posts
makarov.very high quality for very little money.good powerful round 9 mm makarov(9.2 mil in between .380 and 9 mm parabellum.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts