1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear sight has an allen screw that seems to extend down into the slide. I'd like to adjust it a tad. If I loosen the screw, it only comes up so far. What's the trick to moving this sight without damaging it?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
BJ,
I think that screw just tightens against the top of slide under sight to keep the sight from moving horizontally. Just unscrew it until it hits the upward stop which keeps it from coming all the way out. Then move the sight sideways as needed and tighten the screw back down. Both of my Wilson Protectors have that sight. One sight was so loose that I had to glue it in place even with the screw tightened down. On the other gun, the sight was so tight that I had to use a special sight adjustment tool to move it: P500 Universal Sight Tool from Brownells.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I need the sight pusher. Last time I had this tight of a dovetail (Kimber) I had to borrow one to adjust my windage.:(

·
Registered
9 Posts
BJ,
I think that screw just tightens against the top of slide under sight to keep the sight from moving horizontally. Just unscrew it until it hits the upward stop which keeps it from coming all the way out. Then move the sight sideways as needed and tighten the screw back down. Both of my Wilson Protectors have that sight. One sight was so loose that I had to glue it in place even with the screw tightened down. On the other gun, the sight was so tight that I had to use a special sight adjustment tool to move it: P500 Universal Sight Tool from Brownells.

LB
LB, can you remove the sight with your pusher and slide another one back on easily? If so, does the sight pusher scratch the slide? A rear sight came loose and drifted on one of my CQB's (Tactical combat Night Sight). Like a dummy I pounded on the sight with a punch and scared the sight. Now, I want to remove the sight and put a new one back on. I still can't believe I did that!! The sight is barely scratched but I can't stand to look at it anymore.

About a week after I pulled that bone-head manoeuvre a buddy come up to me....."Hey, if ya ever need a sight pusher I got one". Instantly, my blood pressure went up.

Thanks,
Greg.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
LB, can you remove the sight with your pusher and slide another one back on easily? If so, does the sight pusher scratch the slide? A rear sight came loose and drifted on one of my CQB's (Tactical combat Night Sight). Like a dummy I pounded on the sight with a punch and scared the sight. Now, I want to remove the sight and put a new one back on. I still can't believe I did that!! The sight is barely scratched but I can't stand to look at it anymore.

Thanks,
Greg.
Greg,
Yes, the P500 will fully remove the old sight. The new sight may need some minor fitting and care will be required when lining it up. The tool will push it in if you can do the prep work. Scarring/no-scarring of sight and/or slide is dependent on tool setup and careful work. I put some tough electrical tape on the side of my sight and VERY CAREFULLY aligned the tool to prevent scarring. Good Luck!

LB

·
Registered
474 Posts
My sight came loose on my CQB. Called Wilson and they were not pleased to hear about it and demanded I send it back for them to redo. They cut a brand new sight for me and zeroed.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've replaced several rear sights on Wilson slides and they were all on there pretty snug. I used the P500 pusher and it was able to push them out.

Since no one mentioned this part, make sure you are pushing the correct direction as the dovetail cut is tapered. Looking at the gun from the rear, the sights get removed from left-to-right and installed from right-to-left.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Does that sequence also apply to the front sight?
Yup. Front and rear sights both push INTO the slide right-to-left when looking at the gun from the rear.

If you are filing your sights to fit, file them so they slide in one-third of the way by hand and then push the rest of the way with a pusher. Otherwise, you'll file them too small most likely. I have a couple of "extra" front sights ;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts