1911Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Here's advice you didn't expect or want to hear.....
We are seniors & after I was released by my CANCER doctors - we moved to FL to be close to our Daughter. Moved guns & ammo fine in our vehicle - BUT HATED FLORIDA once we got there. HORRIBLE Summer heat will keep you indoors - unless you can be in the water. insects, reptiles(including druggies) can ruin the ambiance of any location. Everything seemed more expensive - food, homes, tax, & all services. Plenty of crime. Worst of all - were the obnoxious people from up north crowding everything & being grumpy during the winter months. Many were old & drove like they were lost & crashing into things or cutting people off. I think the ugliest of them lived near us.
Fortunately - we got out of there without losing our shirts, & are back in the beautiful, friendly, laid back, tranquil, North Georgia Mountains. I wouldn't live in FL again if THE DONALD gave me MARA-LAGO.

·
Registered
480 Posts
We are seniors & after I was released by my CANCER doctors - we moved to FL to be close to our Daughter. Moved guns & ammo fine in our vehicle - BUT HATED FLORIDA once we got there. HORRIBLE Summer heat will keep you indoors - unless you can be in the water. insects, reptiles(including druggies) can ruin the ambiance of any location. Everything seemed more expensive - food, homes, tax, & all services. Plenty of crime. Worst of all - were the obnoxious people from up north crowding everything & being grumpy during the winter months. Many were old & drove like they were lost & crashing into things or cutting people off. I think the ugliest of them lived near us.
Fortunately - we got out of there without losing our shirts, & are back in the beautiful, friendly, laid back, tranquil, North Georgia Mountains. I wouldn't live in FL again if THE DONALD gave me MARA-LAGO.
We were in Florida last weekend. My older sister & her husband live on the inter coastal waterway down by Pensacola at Perdido Key. It is a nice place to visit. They love the ocean & fish & play in the water regularly. I have relatives in North Georgia but live South of ATL. If I had to choose between the beach & the mountains I would pick the mountains myself.

·
Registered
758 Posts
This sounds like West Palm, Dade and Broward counties. Agree 100%. I don't know what misguided thoughts brought me here in 1999. (Here is in Broward.)

21 years later and I'm considering selling the house and going back up north. I'd rather deal with ice and snow than with snowbirds, and boy howdy, down here it don't look like the USA anymore. Depending on where you're at it looks like Brazil, Haiti, Cuba, Colombia, Honduras, but it doesn't look like America anymore.

When I visit Virginia and Georgia on business trips I get promptly reminded of what America looks like. It don't look like *this*.

Jacksonville, Pensacola, Ft. Walton are much more amenable. But South Florida? Ick. Ew. Biggest regret of my life. No. Big no. I wasn't thinking right back then.

To add insult to injury, all of South Florida is deeply blue and no hope of flipping it red. If Tallahassee falls to the Left, then it'll be open-season on us gun owners.

Worse yet -- getting home insurance here is real tough if you have an older, say 20+ year home. I just went through hell for that. My house is from 1973.

It's like.. they *don't* want you living here..

I'm heavily considering Wyoming, go do IT work for a gun maker or something. I've had it with this place.

·
Registered
12,974 Posts
Florida upsides:

Firework stands
Warm ocean temp
Topless women on South Beach

But best of all: I believe that Florida has the most lenient car importation & registration laws in the US.

You want to register an imported Japanese Kei car? No problem. Grey market non-US Spec supercars? easy peasy. Put a Formula Car on the road? Yep ---- Fla is your place.

But personally I would never live anywhere that it's common to screen-in patios due to bugs. No way.

I also won't live anywhere that you can die of exposure (too hot/too cold) just by being outside in jeans & a T shirt.

I'm not gonna spend my life planning or delaying what want to do based on weather.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I lived in N.Y. for 50 years of my life. I am in Florida 30 years and love it, the land of the free. For the cry babies here you should have checked around before you moved down here. Central west Florida is great. I don't know how long it's going to last with all the liberals moving down here to screw up this state like they did up north :) .

·
Premium Member
1,723 Posts
This sounds like West Palm, Dade and Broward counties. Agree 100%. I don't know what misguided thoughts brought me here in 1999. (Here is in Broward.)

21 years later and I'm considering selling the house and going back up north. I'd rather deal with ice and snow than with snowbirds, and boy howdy, down here it don't look like the USA anymore. Depending on where you're at it looks like Brazil, Haiti, Cuba, Colombia, Honduras, but it doesn't look like America anymore.

When I visit Virginia and Georgia on business trips I get promptly reminded of what America looks like. It don't look like *this*.

Jacksonville, Pensacola, Ft. Walton are much more amenable. But South Florida? Ick. Ew. Biggest regret of my life. No. Big no. I wasn't thinking right back then.

To add insult to injury, all of South Florida is deeply blue and no hope of flipping it red. If Tallahassee falls to the Left, then it'll be open-season on us gun owners.

Worse yet -- getting home insurance here is real tough if you have an older, say 20+ year home. I just went through hell for that. My house is from 1973.

It's like.. they *don't* want you living here..

I'm heavily considering Wyoming, go do IT work for a gun maker or something. I've had it with this place.

Thats what I was thinking too. I lived in SFLA for about 10 years. Moved here to West central Florida 18 years ago (Crystal River, Ocala area) and never looked back. Low taxes, big properties, change of season, very gun friendly, no traffic, all the neighbors are gun owners, and most of us have our own shooting ranges. Its unfortunate when out of staters compare the majority of Florida to the few places with a bad reputation.

·
Premium Member
943 Posts
Howdy from the Sunshine State!!! :rock:
Every state had it's ups and downs.
Happiness, success and the joy of life can be found here or anywhere when you ain't a whining fool. :eek: :biglaugh:
Or hang with those that are.

Never throw garbage in our waterways and we'll all get along just fine. ;)
Only real problem here is it's tough to carry full size 1911s and S&W 460s in a bathing suit. :biglaugh:
Then there's the too many golf courses and not enough F class ranges.

Cities and large population areas are always diverse.

South side on the old bridge at Channel 5 can be productive for Snapper and Snook.
Land critters taste like muck but Ducks are tasty.
Welcome aboard.

As far a bringing your firearms and carrying on the drive, keep the bulk stowed, ammo as well, and I always carry one. The little ones have their uses.
American Foxhound from the Panhandle and raised as a South Florida Princess.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Moved from Connecticut to Texas a couple of years ago and I had the same question. Without going into details, there were just too many to carry in our SUV, so they had to be moved by some other means. I used Mayflower and it worked fine. The lead driver made a complete and specific inventory in at least triplicate and I had a copy. Then all I took with us was a few items that fit in the car. By law, you can travel through any state with firearms long as they are unloaded and not readily accessible. That said, we still drove around New Jersey even though I had only a few firearms in the vehicle and a Connecticut carry license.

About a week and a half later, the van arrived with a more local crew and again, the lead driver (who owned the rig) painstakingly went through the inventory with me firearm by firearm, serial number by serial number. No issues.

You're driving through gun-friendly states, so I wouldn't worry much if you take you guns with you, but a big mover is a viable option if you have too many to move personally.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts