1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New member. Hope this is right section. I am moving to California from Texas and own a Beretta 92A1 with all mags 10 capacity. I find that the A1 can not be sold in CA because it doesn't have mag safety lock feature so is not on approved list. From what I've read, I can bring to CA and even sell at a later date through any FFL dealer. However, I would like to reference to CA DOJ that confirms my understanding. The A1 is not an AW by any definition. Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Administrator
74,047 Posts
I hope you're moving to CA because of a huge promotion or massive salary increase. I can't think of any other reason why I'd want to live in Diane Feinstein's backyard. At the rate they're currently going, if your 92A1 isn't illegal now it probably will be in another five years . But to answer your question, I'd suggest contacting a large FFL in California and see what they have to say. The CA DOJ website can be really misleading, especially with how their asinine laws relate to used and currently owned firearms.

In the meantime, here is the offical Peoples' Democratic Republic of California DOJ website: http://oag.ca.gov/firearms

·
Registered
814 Posts
I hope you're moving to CA because of a huge promotion or massive salary increase. I can't think of any other reason why I'd want to live in Diane Feinstein's backyard.
Maybe the housing prices have dropped from all the gun owners leaving the state in droves.:rofl:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Check calguns website. All information you are looking for is there.

If you bring in non roster pistols (or any handgun) those are fine as long as you register them with DOJ within 60 days I believe. Any high cap magazines need to be fixed at 10.

You don't need to sell the pistol.

Our state is restrictive, but not as bad as NY. What city county are you moving to? Some cities have additional restrictions like San Francisco and Oakland.

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
^^ "Restrictive" but "not as bad?" That's about what the jews said on their way to the gas chamber.

Yes, it is bad. Among the worst, and apparently the People are without a voice.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I have lived in Ca, Wy, Nv, Al, Wa, Hi, Co and Mo. I have also been to Japan, Vietnam, Korea, Philippines, Hong Kong, Singapore, Borneo, Australia, Thailand, Mexico and Canada. I have been in 47 of the 50 states. I now live in Ca and I can say without any hesitation, I would not want to live anywhere else!!! I know that we have some really messed up politicians and laws in this state but, IN MY OPINION!!!, California is the most beautiful state of them all. I'm not saying the other states aren't also beautiful!! I'm just saying I like California best.

As far as the politics of California are concerned, let me ask a hypothetical question. If the Communist Chinese attacked the USA tomorrow, would you run for Canada or Mexico??? Not me!!! The Communists are in California and I'm staying and fighting!

·
Registered
244 Posts
^^ "Restrictive" but "not as bad?" That's about what the jews said on their way to the gas chamber.

Yes, it is bad. Among the worst, and apparently the People are without a voice.
Agreed.

The problem with moving to an anti gun state is twofold.Problem One, very few people are knowledgeable about guns or related topics thereof.That may not be the OPs business how ignorant his neighbors are-until they're pulled into his jury pool after a self defense incident.

Problem Two, there's so many gun laws on the books there that many uneducated LEOs default to the approach of "if he's got a gun and isn't a cop, proceed to arrest". Go ahead, pull out a printout of PC 1234556 which says your Beretta can be legally transported with loaded mags in a locked case.Officer Friendly will shrug, read you your rights, and let the DA sort it out.

Not only will you rot in jail until you post bail , not only will you lose your off roster handgun, but your case will be in front of a DA who answers to Kamala Harris-the DA who is as I speak being sued for using her office to delay background checks without solid cause.

I'm not saying you shouldnt move to CA.Only you can determine if the risks with the reward.But just know, in California being pro gun doesn't mix with being a law abiding citizen.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Check calguns website. All information you are looking for is there.

If you bring in non roster pistols (or any handgun) those are fine as long as you register them with DOJ within 60 days I believe. Any high cap magazines need to be fixed at 10.

You don't need to sell the pistol.

Our state is restrictive, but not as bad as NY. What city county are you moving to? Some cities have additional restrictions like San Francisco and Oakland.
^^^^ This is good advice. Check Calguns first.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Good luck, I would love to move there from a outdoors, activity, weather standpoint. The laws and cost of living are a deal breaker though. I would do my Due Diligence and contact some people in the state who are reputable and also get some legal advice from an attorney. I would also have a plan B that would entail selling or having trusted family look after the guns I could not legally bring into the state if there was ANY question as to their legality.

I heard a good point years ago about politics and oppression, it was geared to the old East/West German and Soviet block but does seem to be relevant. It went something like this "you do not judge by economic, education or even the number of people coming into the country but instead the number of people leaving or who want out". The last figures I saw/read had roughly the same number people who entered over the last 30yrs leave in the last 30yrs with every year the number leaving increasing.

·
Registered
2,062 Posts
I've spent a lot of time in Ca. over the years and it's actually like several states . Different regions of Ca. are very different from others . It's a huge ag state so a lot of farmers when you get away from S.F. or L.A. . A lot of logging in northern cal, a lot of there number 1 cash crop up there to, bet you can guess what that is. I like most of Ca. but the cost of housing and the traffic is to much for me around L.A. or the bay. Then there is the politics. Sacramento is probably the best large city in Ca. to live in, gets damn hot there in the summer. Anyway, you'll be fine there, enjoy it.

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
When you ask about Calif. gun laws on a gun forum other than Calguns, the best advice is to ignore what people who don't live here tell you since it is almost always wrong as in this thread.

The roster ONLY applies to dealer sales of guns from their inventory. It has no bearing on what handguns you can own, bring into the state (other than those that would fall under the assault weapons laws,) nor on what guns you can sell as a private party in the state.

You will have to self register your guns after you have a permanent address. You can download the form for handguns from the Calif. Bureau of Firearms website. Beginning in 2014, you will also have to register long guns brought into the state. They don't have the form for that yet but are supposedly "working on it."

It might be helpful for the OP to read through the BoF FAQ section for the public. (see number 25)

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs

·
Registered
308 Posts
New member. Hope this is right section. I am moving to California from Texas and own a Beretta 92A1 with all mags 10 capacity. I find that the A1 can not be sold in CA because it doesn't have mag safety lock feature so is not on approved list. From what I've read, I can bring to CA and even sell at a later date through any FFL dealer. However, I would like to reference to CA DOJ that confirms my understanding. The A1 is not an AW by any definition. Any feedback would be appreciated.
3 Words... DONT DO IT!!! Your moving to commy-fornia

·
Registered
761 Posts
The roster ONLY applies to dealer sales of guns from their inventory. It has no bearing on what handguns you can own, bring into the state (other than those that would fall under the assault weapons laws,) nor on what guns you can sell as a private party in the state.

You will have to self register your guns after you have a permanent address. You can download the form from the Calif. Bureau of Firearms website.

It might be helpful for the OP to read through the BoF FAQ section for the public. (see number 25)

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs
I think this is correct. When I lived in Calif. and bought a private sale, the seller would ask it to be registered in my name, a cya policy. On one occasion a seller asked local LE what the procedure was to sell a gun to me, the response was we don't care what you do. Things may have changed, was not aware you had to register guns you already own and bringing them into the state.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Probably old news, but, I just heard today that all belt fed autos ( class 3 ) owned by citizens had to be sold from CA, WA, and OR by this December 31st. If so, you guys are really getting beat up on the west side! My condolences.

·
Registered
8,190 Posts
Well, if the non A1 Beretta 92 is on the roster you could just trade your A1 to me for my Italian made 92FS. Otherwise, just drop it off to me here on the border on your way out. ;)

·
Registered
818 Posts
I lived in northern California for two years, worst two years of my life! Everything you hear bad is true, and on top of that the people have no morals. Don't trust anyone from that state.

·
Registered
13,566 Posts
"everything you hear bad is true"
"The people have no morals"
"don't trust anyone from that state"

?????????????????? What the heck????????

1 - 20 of 103 Posts