1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question that Google could not answer for me.

My friend is moving to Cali. She has a small Jennings 22lr semi auto that her grandpa gave her. My question is the legality of bringing this gun to California. I checked the DOJ cali list but there is nothing about Jennings. Only current models that are allowed.

·
Premium Member
14,477 Posts

My friend is moving to Cali. She has a small Jennings 22lr semi auto that her grandpa gave her. My question is the legality of bringing this gun to California. I checked the DOJ cali list but there is nothing about Jennings. Only current models that are allowed.
She's fine, the list is certified for new sales only, not what is allowed.

LOG

·
Premium Member
574 Posts
This might help:

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/pubfaqs#25

I am moving into California and I own several firearms. What are the new-resident registration requirements?

You are considered a personal firearm importer as defined by California law. You may bring all of your California-legal firearms with you, but you must report them all to the California Department of Justice within 60 days as required utilizing the New Resident Firearm Ownership Report (BOF 4010A), pdf. You may not bring ammunition feeding devices with a capacity greater than ten rounds, machine guns, or assault weapons into California.

(Pen. code, §§ 17000, subd. (a), 27560.)

·
Administrator
73,097 Posts
Whatever the law is, to be truthful it's a waste of time worrying about bringing a Jennings J-22 into the state. I own one and it actually works okay, but it's a very cheap, low-quality handgun and definitely not something I would even think about using for CCW, let alone home defense. She really ought to leave it behind and buy a semi-decent handgun once she's living in California if she wants something for protection. Even a cheap Kel-Tec P32 or P3AT is a vastly better firearm than the Jennings, as they are lighter, more powerful and definitely more reliable.

I once gave mine to my mother just so she'd have something to defend herself with, but later I began to think what would happen if she actually needed to use it, so I took it back and gave her my Ruger Mark I .22 instead. Same caliber, but vastly more accurate and dependable.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Tell her to buy a Ruger mk. 3 and then sell it to me after she moves in!

It kills me that I can't buy this simple common .22 here.:mad:

Other than that the other guys pretty much covered it.

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
This Jennings handgun was a present from her grandpa. No one on this forum knows what kind of family attachment that this lady has for this handgun. If it is just a handgun with no attachment, then dispose of it and get a 'real gun". If attached to it, then by all means take it with you. The OP is asking about legality, not personal opinions.

·
Registered
635 Posts
More important than the 22lr handgun question: buy whatever you need/want in terms of handguns before you move. You can move into CA with as many legal (non-assault weapon) handguns as you want, but once here the DOJ Roster rules. All guns must use only 10 round magazines (and standard mags can't be imported). Rifles are complicated; go to Calguns.net to get the real information.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

Like the others. Would get rid of the Jennings. See if your friend will pick up a Ruger.
I have a Ruger Mk III 22 5.5". Use it for Plunking, very easy to handle, and will do the job if needed.
Scott

·
Registered
14 Posts
Depending on where she moves to in the PRK, the local city fathers along with the L.E. dept. will probably hand her a $200.00 gift card for relinquishing that evil device. Probably more than she could make on a private sale.

·
Registered
883 Posts
This Jennings handgun was a present from her grandpa. No one on this forum knows what kind of family attachment that this lady has for this handgun. If it is just a handgun with no attachment, then dispose of it and get a 'real gun". If attached to it, then by all means take it with you. The OP is asking about legality, not personal opinions.
This!!!

·
Premium Member
9,018 Posts
Okay, understood, it's a perfectly safe gun as long as you never load it with live ammo. ;)

Seriously, I bought the progeny of the Jennings... a Jimenez JA380. Jimenez is the re-start of the Bryco/Jennings Arms plant. They lost a 24 million dollar lawsuit because one of their guns discharged due to a flawed safety design and paralyzed a child. One of the former employees bought all the tooling from the bankrupted Bryco and started the Jimenez Arms Company.

Now I have a JA380 that I paid $118 for at a gun show only because I was just curious. The gun shoots accurately, its a SAO better than many .380's I've shot, but after cleaning it a couple of times I could see the thumb safety is really flimsy. I was never certain if I put it back right after a couple of strip downs. Also the frame and slide is made from a zinc alloy pot metal. To me it's a curio.

·
Administrator
73,097 Posts
The OP is asking about legality, not personal opinions.
I understand that, but hearing about somebody trying to go the extra mile just to hang onto a Jennings had to elicit a response.

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts

I think all she'd need to do is fill out the "New Resident Report of Firearm Ownership" form and pay the $19 fee. But there's no reason not to just call the CA DOJ Firearms Bureau and verify. They've been very helpful answering my questions over the phone. The "roster" is only for firearms being bought/sold.

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank for the replies. This is not really a carry gun. It is a gift from her grandfather. I have educated her on better self defense calibers. I was seeking only the legal side because I would hate to see her prosecuted in that God forbidden state for owning a non registered "illegal" handgun that might go on a shooting rampage all by itself.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts

Her grandfathe must not have liked her very much.:confused: Take a hammer to that pot metal junk!!! They're not safe.

·
Premium Member
529 Posts
To get back to the point, yes the Jennings may not be much of a gun, but it was a gift and it has great value. She may want to get another gun to actually use, but keeping something that means something to her is priceless. I too would be in a similar position. I have other guns that will do great for actual defense, but I also have the two guns that my grandmother and grandfather carried. Grandfather's was a smith 32 top break, my grandmother's was a 22 short "Tramps Terror" (actual name stamped on the gun) single action pocket revolver. Neither one would be my choice for actual use, but I would never ever want to give them up.

·
Administrator
73,097 Posts
Okay, this thread is just screaming for the obligatory glamour shot. You guys asked for it.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Option A.

https://oag.ca.gov/sites/all/files/agweb/pdfs/firearms/forms/volreg.pdf?

Fill out the form, pay $19, and be done with it

Option B.

Buy a bunch of high demand off roster pistols

Fill out form, pay fee, sell them off for $$$$$.

** Don't recommend option B. Some LEO's thought they were slick and could rake in extra cash with their exemption until they got charged for dealing firearms without a license.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts