1911Forum banner

Moving to NJ next week; do I need a permit for my Kimber?

607 Views 18 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  andrew9C1
Hey guys, been a long time. I sold my USP40 a couple years ago and just got back in with a Kimber Tactical Custom II.

Anyway, I got a new job and will move to New Jersey next week. I've read the laws as much as has been readily available: 2C:39-5(b) (Handguns require permits), 2C:39-6(f 3b) (Nothing in -5 shall be construed to prevent a person from transporting a firearm while traveling directly to or from a target range or any place for the purpose of practice, etc). The above text is from http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us

Then, on this page at packing.org, I found this: "People moving to New Jersey may bring as many handguns as they wish and are NOT required to register them with the state or police." But there is no link or reference to NJ law that tells me this is really true.

A couple NJ residents I know told me to buy the gun here in Kansas and take it with me because registration is not required, so this looks right. Chances are I'll never even get any heat from the cops, but I'd really rather not take the chance.

By the way, I thought California's 7-10day waiting period was bad, but the gun laws in New Jersey are absolutely ridiculous. I walked into the gun shop here in Kansas and, 15 minutes later, walked out with my new 1911. Too bad I have to move for my new job.

I just emailed the above text to a gun lawyer in NJ, but thought I would ask here, too. Surely someone on the forum has had an experience like this. Thanks in advance for any help!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Premium Member
9,635 Posts
A call to the Attorney General will answer your questions. There is a lot of good information available online, but there is much more that is worthless and might get you into trouble. Besides the sites you mentioned, try the NRA's site.

Robert

· Registered
1,006 Posts
The permit only applies to purchasing/transfer of ownership of a handgun. Since you already own the gun you won't have to inform your local police of that fact nor will you need to get a purchase permit. You will however need to get your Firearms ID card if you want to posess your handguns legally in NJ. Since you got through the same hoops for both it is a wash.

· Registered
1,006 Posts
thearmedrebel said:
A call to the Attorney General will answer your questions. There is a lot of good information available online, but there is much more that is worthless and might get you into trouble. Besides the sites you mentioned, try the NRA's site.

Robert
Actually the States Attorney refuses to answer any questions regarding firearms. They will politely suggest that you contact a private lawyer. You can call the State Police and ask them. Depending on who you talk to and the mood they are in at the time you have a 50-50 of getting a straight answer from the police.

· Premium Member
9,635 Posts
magilla gorilla

That really is sad. It's as if they want to catch people breaking the law who are going out of their way to avoid breaking the law. I have called the offices of the Attorney General in several states when planning trips in the past. I've always gotten friendly helpful advice on the particular quirks of their states. There were all western and southern states however, but even California's Attorney General's office was helpful and polite. :scratch:

Good luck on your move,

Robert

· Registered
691 Posts
Andrew9C1:
The statute you site in your post, (2C:39-6 (f 3b) in an exemption but the actual statute that covers what you intend to do is 2C:39-6e. This specifically allows the transportation of firearms into this state for the purposes of moving between residences. Federal law, U.S.C. 18 926A also permits the transportation of firearms from one place to another. Under both laws, the guns must be unloaded and securely packaged or locked in the trunk. Once you arrive here, you do not have to register the weapons with the state police. If you choose to register the guns, it is on a voluntary basis. There is a specific form for this purpose that can be picked up at your local police department or state police station. If at all possible, I would recommend that you apply for a Firearms ID card. If you ever get pulled over with the guns in your car, that ID card may save you a big headache down the road. Be warned that the process in N.J. to acquire an ID card can take as much as three months or more. This also applies to the purchase of a handgun for the first time. The Firearms ID card allows you to buy rifles and shotguns. You would need a separate permit to purchase a handgun and that is good for 90 days. The ID card does not expire. Just to give you an idea of how strict N.J. is, a BB gun is considered a rifle and the purchase of one requires a Firearms ID card. I hope this post helps you out a little.

· Registered
107 Posts
I have relatives in NJ... and from what I have seen reflect
what others are mentioning here... they are very strict and
not 2nd Amendment friendly. Very restrictive in purchasing
of firearms. I have also heard that there are restrictions on
the kinds of ammunition you may purchase and/or utilize.
Hollow points I was told are not allowed. I an not sure if
this is true however, so others may offer better insight on
this. Good luck with your move.

Chief

· Registered
1,006 Posts
retiredchief said:
Very restrictive in purchasing
of firearms. I have also heard that there are restrictions on
the kinds of ammunition you may purchase and/or utilize.
Hollow points I was told are not allowed. I an not sure if
this is true however, so others may offer better insight on
this. Good luck with your move.

Chief
Chief, while there is plenty to dislike about NJ gun laws I would like to dispel the myth that hollowpoints are illegagl in NJ. They aren't. You can walk into any gun store in the state and walk out with a box of your favorite hollow points.

What you can't do is use them in the commission of a crime, duh, who ever thought of that law should be subjected to listening to Vanilla Ice two hours a day for the rest of their lives. Additionaly if you have a state CCW and you are not an active LEO you are not permitted to carry hollow points but can carry Corbon's powerball of Federal's expanding full metal jacket.

· Registered
1,617 Posts
NJ1108 said:
Andrew9C1:
Be warned that the process in N.J. to acquire an ID card can take as much as three months or more. This also applies to the purchase of a handgun for the first time. The Firearms ID card allows you to buy rifles and shotguns. You would need a separate permit to purchase a handgun and that is good for 90 days.

It's been taking me 4+ months to get a pistol purchase permit.
What PO's me is, they do the same thing when you pick up the gun in about 5 minutes.........
I know there are no red flags on me, I'm a former "DoD contractor" I held a security clearance etc.etc. I'm pretty active in the database.:scratch:
Everyone in the PD knows me, I grew up here.
At one point I waited from August 01 to Feb 02 for a permit.:mummy:

FWIW for the extra $2.00 ea I get several pistol purchase permits when applying.

Theyre "supposed to" be renewable, but my town has told me that once theyre expired, I will need to apply all over again.:mummy: :mummy:

I hope the job pays well.........:(
Eric

· Registered
355 Posts
Boresight said:
I cannot answer your specific question; but, if your job in NJ is within a one hour commute from Pennsylvania consider moving back to the United States!

Boresight
Boresight's got the ticket commute either to PA or Del. it will save you a ton of grief. NJ is bad and getting worse. cannot wait to see what Corzine pulls on the gun owners.

by the way i was born and raised in NJ for 48 years, i watched NJ go from a pro 2nd Amendment state to one of the worse, and seems no one could stop it. finally i got the chance to get out when my job moved to Guntucky 10 years ago. now i have more handguns then i could ever dream of in NJ, got local gunshows, and of course the Knob Creek machinegun shoot twice a year (state allows them), concealed carry. but thats me.

if at all possible consider the commute option.

· Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ctrmass said:
It's been taking me 4+ months to get a pistol purchase permit.
What PO's me is, they do the same thing when you pick up the gun in about 5 minutes.........
I know there are no red flags on me, I'm a former "DoD contractor" I held a security clearance etc.etc. I'm pretty active in the database.:scratch:
Everyone in the PD knows me, I grew up here.
At one point I waited from August 01 to Feb 02 for a permit.:mummy:

FWIW for the extra $2.00 ea I get several pistol purchase permits when applying.

Theyre "supposed to" be renewable, but my town has told me that once theyre expired, I will need to apply all over again.:mummy: :mummy:

I hope the job pays well.........:(
Eric
That is EXACTLY why I bought my gun here in Kansas! Like I said, I was in and out in maybe 20 minutes, since the employees and gun groupies hanging out in the store were busy talking to each other ("No way in HELL did I vote for Kerry! I ought to shoot you right now!"). Once I found out how ridiculously long the process is in NJ, just because they can't/won't push some paperwork through, I thought this would be the way to go.

As far as commuting, I'll be living right across from New York in WNY/Guttenberg. The job will, at first, be on Broadway right near Battery Park, but I'll soon be working in Weehawken. Trust me, as soon as I get ahead in this job, I'll be leaving for another state. Ideally, California; but there I'll also have to worry about not being able to modify my car. :(

Thanks for the tips, guys. I emailed a lawyer in NJ to see about an answer, but am digging up statute 2C:39-6(e) right now, too.

· Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
From http://lis.njleg.state.nj.us/ (I tried to paste the entire URL, but their website takes you back to 2C:1):

e.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent a person keeping or carrying about his place of business, residence, premises or other land owned or possessed by him, any firearm, or from carrying the same, in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section, from any place of purchase to his residence or place of business, between his dwelling and his place of business, between one place of business or residence and another when moving, or between his dwelling or place of business and place where such firearms are repaired, for the purpose of repair. For the purposes of this section, a place of business shall be deemed to be a fixed location.

Looks like that is the section to which NJ1108 was referring. Looks like good news to me! I'll apply for the FID when I get settled.

Oh, I thought of another one. Since the gun was purchased at a FFL and the serial number was undoubtedly recorded somewhere that Big Brother can get it, should I bother keeping my sales receipt in the gun case, just in case the police might want to know where I bought it, just in case I get pulled over? :rolleyes: :scratch:

· Registered
1,617 Posts
Just my gut instinct.....

That might complicate matters.
While some LEO's are very well versed with the (complicated and confusing) NJ gun laws, others may not see things as "on the up and up".
"If it's yours and legal...why dont you have the permit copy to show me?"
etc.etc.etc.

Question, is your name on the reciept?
If it is, I MIGHT take it. If it's not, I'd leave it at home.

Observe the speed limit, have the guns cased and unloaded (no loaded mags either) and in the trunk and you shouldnt have any problems.

BTW, If you have any evil looking guns, I'd definetly talk to a lawyer.
JM.02
Eric

· Registered
236 Posts
The part that threw me was
andrew9C1 said:
Ideally, California;
Ideally? Maybe north CA wouldnt be so bad. I hear they are a little more gun friendly but I still wouldnt go there if my life depended on it. I am from NJ, but luckily my parents got me out of there when I was young. Good luck.

· Registered
1,006 Posts
andrew9C1 said:
Trust me, as soon as I get ahead in this job, I'll be leaving for another state. Ideally, California; but there I'll also have to worry about not being able to modify my car. :(
Andrew if you think you'd be better off when it comes to fireamrs in California knock yourself out. While Jersey's laws a stupid I can still walk into a gun store and walk out 15 minutes later with an AR.

· Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ctrmass said:
That might complicate matters.
While some LEO's are very well versed with the (complicated and confusing) NJ gun laws, others may not see things as "on the up and up".
"If it's yours and legal...why dont you have the permit copy to show me?"
etc.etc.etc.

Question, is your name on the reciept?
If it is, I MIGHT take it. If it's not, I'd leave it at home.

Observe the speed limit, have the guns cased and unloaded (no loaded mags either) and in the trunk and you shouldnt have any problems.

BTW, If you have any evil looking guns, I'd definetly talk to a lawyer.
JM.02
Eric
My full name, current address, DL number and expiration date, gun make/model/serial number, and signature are on the receipt. I guess doing as you said and driving the speed limit with the gun locked up, unloaded, is the only thing I can do.

What I can't wrap my brain around is how I'm magically supposed to produce a permit when I already own the gun.

I emailed an NJ lawyer, Edward Zohn, linked off of NJguns.com. Here's what he had to say:
You are correct. If you move from another state to NJ, you can bring in any firearms (as long as they are not contraband pursuant to NJ's "assault firearm" law) with no obligation to obtain any permit. You should know that MANY police departments and prosecutors do not know or care about this legal fact. So, as I have told many clients, I can pretty much guarantee that you would never be convicted of anything, but I can't guarantee that you won't get arrested.
That last line is obviously what has me concerned.

· Premium Member
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
magilla gorilla said:
Andrew if you think you'd be better off when it comes to fireamrs in California knock yourself out. While Jersey's laws a stupid I can still walk into a gun store and walk out 15 minutes later with an AR.
They let you buy AR15s there? Woah. That IS better.

But my main reason for moving to CA is the weather. ;) Also, I have quite a few friends out there. I shouldn't have started knocking NJ already, since I've only visited for a very short time. The worst thing besides cost of living that I know about NJ is this silly handgun permit thing! :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts