1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at getting the Chip McCormick thin grips as I have small hands. How much effort is there in installing them and can I do it myself. I know how to work a screwdriver but if we're talking fitting metal, polishing, etc. I am not the most savvy in the world. Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
3,112 Posts
You'll need to replace your existing stock screw bushings with ones supplied with the stocks. It will vary from pistol to pistol how difficult these are to remove from the frame. Some will back right out with just a screwdriver. Others will be heavily staked and be tough to remove.

Rosco

·
Registered
8 Posts
Everything you need to install them is included with the kit. I put mine on myself and trust me they are a breeze...
I did take them off though because they were just too thin for my hands.
The only difference in the kit is the grip screws, they are shorter than usual.
Good Luck!!!!!

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
I have put CMC thin grips on 4 1911s now. I have had a variety of problems with the process, part of which is impatience, inadequqte tools, and screws that are sometimes too long.

I have managed to damage 3 or 4 of the 16 grip bushings I have removed. They are often installed nice and tight (as they should be) and do not take well to being unscrewed with the right size screw driver and definitely not the wrong-sized. I now own a bushing wrench from Browning for the purpose. I have not needed the full-size bushings, but it makes me angry that I did not get each one off cleanly.

When installing the new bushings, it is best (but not necessary) to try screwing each one in and making sure you won't have a problem with cross threading. You don't want to cross thread the bushing on the frame. Once happy with that, use a little loctite on the threads. This will help assure that they won't back out from the vibration of shooting.

Next, put the panels on and install the new screws, snugging each down sufficiently. Now try inserting an empty mag and see if it will drop free without any problem. Try different mags. CMC mags seem to be ever so slightly wider than Wilson mags, for example, and so while the Wilson mags drop free, the CMC don't always.

If the mag does not drop free, assertation which screw(s) are contacting the mag. The screws will need to be modified by sanding or dremelling the tips just a bit. Repeat the process until all your mags drop free. Then back out each screw, add loctite, and snug down again. You should be ready to go!

My final suggestion for you is to be patient with the process and do not force any of the parts. That is usually when you get into trouble and damage things. Unfortunately, I am speaking from experience.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts