1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an argentine hi power made in 1967 according to the serial number,from what I'am told over at FNhipower.com it was made in belgium and rollmarked for argentina and expored. I was also told that this gun was made in argentina under fn license but that argentina diddn't start building thair hi powers there until 1969 which would make my hi power a belgium made gun by fn.

my question is which one of these is correct and if it was made in aregentina whats the quality of these hi powers? It appears to be a mark II or pre mark II HP small thumb saftey,ring hammer etc. I figured I'd ask you for conformation MR. Camp as you seem to know everything about hi powers pretty much. I really dont mind where it was made as it is a great hi power and I feel it will serve me well as ccw gun/car gun. Thanks for any help you can give me in clearing this up.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello, and first, thank you for the compliments, but I'm NOT the guy for historical or production questions. I just shoot 'em.

However, here's my take on your question based on what I do know about FN and what I've seen.

First, FN's records concerning when production started or ceased for a particular run of Hi Powers is more of a suggestion than a hard fact. This has been seen in a number of runs including T-series Hi Powers. Since the serial number you have hits the general time frame in question for your pistol's manufacture date from FN, I suspect it is an FN. (A fellow from S. Africa is trying to date his Hi Power, but nothing comes out right with the serial number provided and based on his description and photos, I THINK he has one of the FEG guns that was made to appear as though made by FN. Not knocking FEG and this was done a while back. Current FEG's are so marked.)

IF your pistol does not have anything on it saying "FM" or "Made in Argentina," it most likely was made by FN in Belgium and predates the licensed FM manufacture. I think that you probably have an FN gun. FN has made many guns for many nations having that nation's symbols or crests. I might could tell if I could see the gun and its markings.

Also, I THINK that at least the first guns made by FM in Argentina were done on FN equipment and under FN supervision much as FN supervised Portugese assembly of Hi Powers when they first started that program....at least that is the case according to Kurt Wickman.

I've seen a number of FN Hi Power variations that have not been cataloged ever, at least I could never find it. When I asked FN about the odd versions seen, they simply replied that some special orders have been made.

Best.

·
Registered
554 Posts
One other thing just to add to the confusion. When FN made contract runs (other manufacturers do this as well) they often serial numbered the guns to the customers requests. This often lead to duplicate serial numbers when you look at the world wide pool of serial numbers.

If I remember your post correctly, you said that your roll mark said something about License FN. That woould lead me to believe that it is one of the ones made in Argentina.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks Mr. Camp and jar for your help so far,mr. camp the rollmarks appear on my guns slide as follows:

fabrica militar DE arms portatiles "D.M." Rosario
DGFM
licencia F.N. Browning Industria Argentinia

It also has: HI POWER 9MM on the right side of the slide.

I will also post pics later today mr. camp as my brother is the digicam expert and he dosen't get home from work until later. I hope the rollmarkings help out in helping determine where my gun was made more exactly thanks.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thank you Mr. camp my only other question is are these all around good hi powers? Mine appears to be in great mechanical shape other than the cheap arsenal refinish flaking off which wasen't a concern for me as I plan on send it to macs for a gunkote finish.

last thing is do you feel these HP's make good carry guns? I ask as I have no issue with the small military sights or small thumb safety,these issues aside I think it should serve me well for ccw use but have you had any experiance with these hi powers personaly?

·
Registered
559 Posts
only YOU can answer if its good for CCW...
is it reliable? are you comfortable opperating it? etc...

i think the best way to answer your own question is to do some serious range time and see if the pistol meets your requirements for a carry gun.

also depending on your skill level, may be a good idea to have a gunsmith go over the pistol and replace any worn parts/springs that may affect function/reliability.

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello, sir. As was mentioned, it sort of depends on you and the gun. Are you comfortable with it and is it reliable?

Here's some thoughts on the 9mm Hi Power for protection, if interested:

http://www.hipowersandhandguns.com/Defensive Browning Hi Power.htm

I do not own an FM Hi Power so I cannot comment on them after long term observations. However, I've shot several off and on over the years and have no complaints with them in terms of reliability and mechanical accuracy. I suspect that an FM would make a fine carry pistol.

Best.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well pro carry I intend to take the hi power to the range maybe today and put it through its paces as I haven't shot it yet got it tuesday. I had about 400 rounds through my mark III HP before using it for carry this inclued the JHP load I use for CCW use. I'am not one of thise people who need to have 2,000 rounds through a gun before I'll carry it (I do Know a few Like that I feel they are bit paranoid) If a gun perfroms flawlessly and I mean with no hick ups at all for 500 or so rounds I'll use it.

As For being comfortable operating the hi power well all I've really felt comfortable on were HP's and 1911's I've owned at one time or another just about every pistol you care to name,sigs,glocks (which I still own and like),beretta 92 as w/ the glocks like it still have it and other semiautos as well. I always find myself coming back to my hi powers and 1911's,so yea I feel comfortable on these pistols. Thank you all for youe help with this I will post a range report when I get home about said Hi power.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts