1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing a stock Kimber mainspring housing with a stainless S&A arched housing and noticed a pretty big gap between the frame and the housing.

I thought the frame might have been bent but measuring it proved otherwise, the housing is actually the culprit. The housing is tapered slightly front to back which leaves a gap, about .01 as seen above (notice the rail on top). Is this normal? Was the S&A housing designed to be a drop-in part with a lot of room for error? Anyone know a good housing to use with a tighter fit or possibly one that can be trimmed to fit?

·
Premium Member
934 Posts
Hi mtbeer, the S&A is a crude casting. Surprise! The first one I bought I sent back!
The Brown is a nice part.

------------------
Metal Smith

The only thing I know for sure is what I can measure!
NRA Life Member

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I'll give the Ed Brown a try, I just finished fitting an Ed Brown beavertail and must say it is a major improvement over the stock Kimber safety. I am highly impressed with the quality of the EB parts.

·
Premium Member
7,058 Posts
On the subject of mainspring housings......
They truly are NOT a 'drop-in' part.
For one thing, the ms/hsg controls how far out the grip safety fits and can render a previously fine grip safety non-functional.
Also the ms/hsg tensions the sear spring and can have a big effect on the weight/safety of a trigger job.
If the housing fits loosely, tension on the sear spring can vary with your grip.
I always peen and refit the ms/hsg ribs for a slip fit in the frame.
This gives the gun a 'solid' feel as well.

Chuck

1 - 6 of 6 Posts