1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone...I'm new here and have a question about my new to me Colt Combat Commander. Forgive me if I missed the answer to this while utilizing the "search" feature.

I took my new piece to the range and after 2 or so magazines worth of rounds, the mainspring housing pin slides out about halfway (always to the magazine release side if that matters..that is also the side that the pin is dimpled on). When I got home and cleaned the gun I pulled the pin... it was well lubed, but did not seem overly done. I did come across a thread pointing out that it is possible for this pin to be switched with the (I believe) hammer spring pin. I have no reason to believe this may be the case...but I'm not 100% on how to tell the difference and if that may be the problem. The MSH pin that is in place seem to fit snug and has an indent in the middle of it that seems like it should catch on something as it is pressed into place. I do not feel it catching when I push it in.

Other that having to occasionally press said pin back in place, the pistol functioned flewlessly through 75 rds of 3 different types of ammo.

Thanks in advance for any input/suggestions

Attachments

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
That is indeed the correct pin for that application, but, as posted above, either your MSH pin retainer is missing or damaged. Pull the pin back out and see if you can see a little nub protruding down into the pin hole. That would be the retainer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MS retainer pin is missing. nice call gentlemen. thanks for your help. While I have this thing all broken down and have to order parts anyway, Is there anything else that I should inspect/replace/order at this point. As I mentioned, it performed great aside from this MSH pin issue.

also, is there a proper direction that the recoil spring should go in? (it has a tight coil on one end)

thanks again
-Slim

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
If it were me, I would replace all the springs since you don't know how well taken care of this gun has been as indicated by the fact that a part is missing. Other than that, just inspect everything and look for any unusual wear or damage.

·
Registered
651 Posts
As a temporary fix until you get the part you need and the springs you should get, loosen the grip panels and slide a thin piece of hard plastic [credit card] or sheet metal under the grip to block the pin from moving.

·
Premium Member
20,422 Posts
Tight end goes on first. Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tight end goes on first. Welcome to the forum!
thanks on both accounts.

I ordered a new recoil spring and sear spring. then got excited and added a Chip McCormick 8 rd magazind and a Smith & Alexander flat smooth mainspring housing with the lanyard loop. I think it will give the gun a nice, clean look.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts