1911Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read on another board that the main spring housing can't be replaced on the new compacts because the hole for the pin has been moved. Is this only on the compacts? Any change on the full size 5" ones? (I hope not
)
-Mustang

[This message has been edited by Mustang (edited 12-05-2001).]

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
I think it may only be the compacts. I have a Champion, which has a full size frame and I was able to replace the ILS with a milspec arched MSH without any problems.

·
Registered
15 Posts
mustang, i just replaced the housing on my fullsize with a part from wilson combat. it fit perfectly. hope this helps. sarge

------------------
"the more you sweat in training,the less you bleed in combat"

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
I think the post that Mustang refers to was mine (over on www.pistolsmith.com). We tried to swap a friend's ILS in a recent-production Compact with a Wilson 30LPI unit. The pin could not be inserted. The mainspring housing pin holes in the frame were very slightly father rearward. I don't know if the full size frames have this problem, but the Compact does and the factory admitted it when called.

Rosco

·
Registered
43 Posts
SA has not changed the location of the mainspring housing retainer pin location on any of its pistols. The ILS is a retro fit on any 1911, gov't model or officers size.

------------------
Dave Williams

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the replys. I appreciate it. I'm happy that Springfield kept it the same. Long live Springfield!
. My Springfield that I bought in '94 has work flawlessly for several thousand rounds (lost count) and is my primary go to gun because it has been 100% reliable 100% of the time. It's the SS 1911A1. Had a trigger job done a few years back due to personal preference but other than that it's stock. Thinking of buying a few more

-Stang

[This message has been edited by Mustang (edited 12-06-2001).]

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
Originally posted by Dave Williams:
SA has not changed the location of the mainspring housing retainer pin location on any of its pistols. The ILS is a retro fit on any 1911, gov't model or officers size.
Dave,
The facts of the matter are thus...A friend bought one of the current production stainless/alloy Compacts. He did not want the ILS on his pistol, so he bought a Wilson 30LPI-checkered mainspring housing for the Officers ACP (along with the proper diameter mainspring, cap, etc.). When we attempted to install this mainspring housing, the mainspring housing pin would not press home, as the hole in the frame was slightly misaligned with the hole in the mainspring housing. It appeared that the frame's hole was slightly farther rearward than the hole in the Wilson mainspring housing.

In an attempt to understand the situation, we tried the Wilson housing in a Colt Officers ACP frame. The pin fit just fine. We tried the Colt's factory mainspring housing in the Springfield compact frame and the holes were misaligned in the same manner as with the Wilson housing. This seems to bear out that the holes in the Springfield frame are not in the Colt-spec location.

The misalignment wasn't much and it looked as if one could ream the Wilson mainspring housing's hole a bit larger to address the misalignment. However, my friend suggested that we leave it alone and that he would call Springfield Armory to get the straight scoop.

My friend called the factory and spoke with a lady in customer service. He explained the problem to her and she said that she was not aware of any changes in the hole locations. My friend then told her that he would need to send the pistol in to have it checked out. The service department lady then went and spoke with one of the technicians and told my friend that one couldn't swap the ILS out with the Wilson/Colt-spec part. When my friend noted "Well that means that the holes' locations were changed", she responded "yes".

Those are the facts, Dave. Whether the specs on the hole location has changed or whether this particular pistol is slightly out-of-spec, I cannot say. I can only share my observations and, as faithfully as possible, paraphrase the telephone conversation as described to me by my friend. I have no ax to grind with Springfield and have recommended the various "loaded" models to many people.

Dave, you note that an ILS may be retrofitted on any 1911. Will a Colt-spec mainspring housing retrofit to the current, ILS-fitted Springfield pistols?...both full-size and compact? In my recent experience (limited to ONE Compact), it would not.

Rosco

·
Registered
855 Posts
Rosco,

I went to Smith and Alexanders website and they list 2 different part numbers for the Colt Officers model and Springfield Compact pistols. This leads me to believe that the parts are not and were never interchangable. Has your friend called Wilsons to see if their Officers model MSH is supposed to fit on the Springfield compact model?

·
Super Moderator
3,113 Posts
As Paten pointed out, S&A lists different part numbers for Officers ACP and Springfield Compact mainspring housings. Wilson Combat's website carries the caveat that minor fitting may be required to fit their Officers ACP-sized mainspring housings to the Springfield Compact.

Although I can't imagine why, it looks as if the Springfield Compact differs from the Colt Officers ACP in terms of mainspring housing specs. Springfield's Dave Williams' contention that they have not changed the location of the frame's holes is apparently true. The holes have apparently been slightly off Colt-spec since the inception of the product and long before the ILS system was introduced.

I apologize for my error. I was mistaken. What I perceived as a design change to prevent the swapping out of the ILS system appears to simply be a non-Colt-spec aspect of the Springfield product.

Rosco

1 - 10 of 10 Posts