1911Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just brought home my new Kimber & want to replace the plastic MSH. What should I look at?

I was leaning toward Smith & Alexander - anyone have link to website?

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Congrats on the new toy. I prefer Ed Brown parts and have replaced several Kimber MSH's with them, no problems.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AZ HUSKER:

I found 2 Series I Kimbers both NIB! 1 went home with me & I think I'm going to go back for the other one. You were right! They're hiding in South Dakota.

I'll check out Ed Brown - Thanks.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AZ HUSKER:

I found 2 Series I Kimbers both NIB! 1 went home with me & I think I'm going to go back for the other one. You were right! They're hiding in South Dakota.

I'll check out Ed Brown - Thanks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I picked up a S&A arched MSH for my CDP... it was a perfect fit and the quality is excellent

I imagine Ed Brown parts are great, but I wouldn't hesitate to go with S&A again

btw, they're available in arched and flat, as well as stainless steel or aluminum

·
Registered
124 Posts
Smith & Alexander is an excellent company. i prefer arched MSH and used theirs on two kimbers.
Good service, good fit, although I did have to ream & smooth the trigger spring hole a bit because it was a little rough and tight.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I don't mean to hi-jack the thread as I'm in the market for an arched MSH for my Compact SS too.

Is it true that you don't have to remove the slide and the hammer and or strut to replace just the MSH?. I did a search on the very subject and got alittle confuse, some said use a rubber band wraps around the grip safety and remove the pin then slide the MSH out without doing anything else except make sure the gun is empty of-course, and others said remove slide, release trigger with the thumb holding the hammer then ease the hammer down then remove the pin and slide the MSH out!. Which way is easier ?. Help please.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The rubber band trick works great. That's the way I did mine. If you have a series 2 I'd recommend taking the slide off first. You may have to take a bit of material off the ears of your new MSH to allow the firing pin block push rod to retract into the frame when the grip safety is released. It is a lot easier to see and adjust with the slide off.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes indeed, I have a series II Compact.

So, all I have to do is remove slide, wrap the grip safety with rubber band and then remove the pin and slide the MSH out, correct?. Is there any thing going to fly acrross the street?.

Thanks imashooter2.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Drop the hammer to release some of the tension on the spring. It will still have some pressure on it, but will not "fly" anywhere when the pin is punched out. Removing the spring and cup from the old MSH and putting them into the new one is a different story. They are under a lot of pressure and the cap and spring will reach orbit if not restrained. Wear safety glasses.

·
Premium Member
5,062 Posts
I also wrap my hand around the grip, then use my thumb underneath the bottom edge of the MSH to relieve tension off the pin. It comes out a little easier that way. Then, I just push the MSH sort of into the frame using a table top to get the pin started for reinstallation.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Once the MSH is out, does it matter of what position of the pistol be?. Does it have to be in certain position like stay up right or lay on it side so nothing else unseen can fall out of places or it's doesn't matter as long as don't drop it.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
Doesn't matter. When you go to reassemble, hold the grip safety and remove the rubber band. You'll need to slightly loosen the pressure so the hammer strut can align itself with the mainspring cap.
An easy way to get the mainspring assembly out is to pound a finish nail into a piece of wood, leaving about 1/2" sticking out. Press the MS cap onto the nail, and push out the pin. It only takes two hands that way. If you hold it in a vise, it's easy too.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Great tip with the nail. I used a pin punch to push it down with the MSH held in a vise. I can see the nail method as much less likely to slip and lead to a parts hunt.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts