1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I was practicing my golf game it hit me. We shooters sweat the details to the point of ridiculous.
My irons are all hard chromed and I hit the heck out of them, get them wet , leave them dirty ect. They don't rust, chip or peal. What is all the hulla ballou about finishes. A hard chromed gun will out live me, and for many years was the standard in IPSC.
Thoughts?

·
Administrator
73,795 Posts
I think at the core of all these "how long will my XXX last?" questions lies the subconcious fear that they might ban all guns tomorrow, and what you have now is all you'll ever be able to own. If it wasn't, I think a lot of folks couldn't care less about beating up or wearing out their gun, and just buying a new one later.

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
IF it looks like the chrome on a bumper, than it's probably not "hard chromed." :) I don't have any chromed firearms, hard or not. So far, no problems with any of the finishes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
The vast majority of modern irons are cast (lost wax process) in stainless steel. 431 SS is the most common for golf clubs.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Your golf clubs are not subjected to a lot of heat and sweaty palms all over them and gun powder, they also don't cost $500-4000 each. Firearms finishes are pretty durable, but a lot of people take pride in their firearms.......

1 - 5 of 5 Posts