1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another example of murphy's law in LE last week. A Police Officer in a Southern California Agency was chasing a murder suspect on foot when the crook reached into his waistband and pulled a .44 Desert Eagle on the officer. The officer, fearing for his life drew his $1600 Para Ordanance custom pistol and fired one round at the miscreant. Unbeknownst to the officer, the pistol's Wilson "Bullet Proof" extractor hook sheered off, failing to extract the spent casing from the barrel. The next round in the magazine was fed into the chamber, causing a catastrophic malfunction.
The officer, thinking he had a double feed, swiped his support hand across the ejection port and removed the live round. He then performed the slap-rack-bang technique, which put him back in the orginal position he was in after the first round was fired. He had no way of knowing there was a casing still in the barrel without performing a visual inspection, which is difficult to do during a foot pursuit at night afeter an armed and dangerous suspect.
Luckily for the officer, the crook dropped his gun and ran away while he took cover and tended to his weapon. It turns out that the only way to clear that malfunction is to eject the magazine, lock the slide back, and jam your ball point pen into the muzzle, hopefully ejecting the brass. Even then, you are stuck with a single shot weapon.
There are a couple of lessons to learn out of this deal.

1. You can never keep Mr. Murphy from your weapon, no matter how much money and how high quality the parts. Sometimes things go terribley wrong at the most critical times.

2. You should practice clearing malfuntions until it is second nature. There might be times, as illustrated above, where there is nothing you can do, you are just out of the fight.
and, most important!

3. A backup weapon is a must, because 1 and 2 can and do happen.

I thank God that the officer is OK and the crook was caught a few days later. There has been a sudden interest in replacing extractors. According to the Department Armorer, he has only seen this malfuntion three times in Para/1911 pistols in 30 years, six times in Sigs, and countless times in S&W autos (All on the range, thankfully!)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Originally posted by oneminute:

... Might need it to shoot Murphy, if he is ever found!
LMAO

There have been many times that I have wanted to "meet" that dang Murphy guy.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It also shows the need for all law enforcement to shoot more than required, especially if you carry a semi. I know one of of officer who said after reading the post. "Would of never happened toa revolver." He thinks most semi are single shot pistols.

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
I can understand everyone's desire to tar-and-feather Murphy, but please understand that he is not creating the so-called "Murphy's Laws"; he's merely reporting them.

In fact, he is actually just cataloging specific examples of a universal law at work, the Law of Dynamic Negatives, which states that "The probability of an event is inversely proportional to it's desirability."

Anyone who has experience with growing flowers and crabgrass will immediately recognize the validity of the Law.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
Actually, from what I can glean, Murphy's law states: If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it.

Finagle's Law, also called the Law of Dynamic Negatives states: Anything that can go wrong, will.

There seems to be some confusion about which came first, Finagle's Law or Murphy's Law. Murphy's was coined in the 1950s while doing rocket science, believe it or not. Finagle's Law is supposedly the folk version of Murphy's law made popular by sci-fi writer Larry Niven.

·
Registered
65 Posts
For what it's worth, my Dad said Murphy was an optomist.

------------------
"An armed society is a polite society"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts