1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I think this might be a fun idea for a thread in this sub-forum. The rules are you can only recommend one book, not a big list. The book can be either fictional or non-fiction, but the genre has to be some type of disaster/ post-apocalyptic/ SHTF/ etc. Please try not to pick (or +1) a book someone else has already listed, the idea is to give a variety of reading material in the spirit of this sub-forum. Please don't simply list a title. Give some reasons why you like it as well as a brief synopsis. I'll start it off:

Lucifer's Hammer-
It easily tops the list of my favorite books in the disaster genre (even surpassing a Pulitzer Prize winning book that came out in 2006 *cough*). The plot summary is a comet hits Southern California and we get to see the aftermath. It covers everything folks discuss in this sub-forum from weapons to human interactions, to survival strategies, etc. It's a little dated, from 1977, but an absolute must read for anyone who has an interest in this sub-forum.

OK, who's next?

·
Premium Member
5,356 Posts
The Art of War by Sun Tzu!

·
Registered
8,191 Posts
Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle. IIRC the copyright is 1977. The first part is build up, the the later part covers a lot of interesting ground about human dynamics in such a situation.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
"Patriots" by James Wesley Rawles

·
Registered
23,481 Posts
How about the classic.

A canticle for Leibowitz. We are closer now to this than we have been since it's writing decades ago. Hard to follow though, so you almost need to read it twice.

·
Registered
23,481 Posts
Another must read in my book.

A much more contemporary work by a man named William Forstchen.

It is called "One second after" an excellent work that even managed to draw congressional attention. Of course we all know that all this means is that congress will make doubly sure that they will all have a safe haven to go to with their families in the event that such a thing would ever come to pass. Meanwhile all of the rest of us would be presumably huddling under a tree waiting for FEMA to show up and save us. :barf::barf::barf:

·
Registered
413 Posts
"ALAS BABYLON", by Pat Frank. This was one of the originals, and still one of the best. It is a much more realistic depiction of how things would go and how people would respond.

·
Registered
23,481 Posts
This is an excellent read.

"ALAS BABYLON", by Pat Frank. This was one of the originals, and still one of the best. It is a much more realistic depiction of how things would go and how people would respond.
I am tempted to get it again as it has been many years since I read it.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I like that in the intro to "One Second After", Newt states that he told William Forschten that he wanted an update to "Alas Babylon", with a modern scenario. The scenario had been studied and modeled by the military, with likely outcomes. The data is much more exciting to read with a good story wrapped around it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
"Strategic Relocation" by Joel Skousen - A great book about the pro's and con's of each part of the country from a safety and strategic survival point of view.

I am, however, of the mind to bug out if it gets really ugly.

·
Registered
569 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
A much more contemporary work by a man named William Forstchen.

It is called "One second after" an excellent work that even managed to draw congressional attention. Of course we all know that all this means is that congress will make doubly sure that they will all have a safe haven to go to with their families in the event that such a thing would ever come to pass. Meanwhile all of the rest of us would be presumably huddling under a tree waiting for FEMA to show up and save us. :barf::barf::barf:
Forstchen is writing a sequel, "One Year After" and has another novella in the genre, "Day of Wrath."

1 - 20 of 28 Posts