1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Everything beats a S&W. I've had nothing but bad luck with S&W, I'll never buy another S&W. Colt and Ed Brown are all I will buy.

·
Registered
996 Posts
I had a Body Guard and sold it fast. Terrible trigger. I love my Mustang, great little gun.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Long-time Mustang owner

I've carried a Colt Mustang for many years now, either in a pocket holster or other deep concealment. Sometimes it's all I carry and sometimes it's my BUG.

I'm quite fond of it, largely because it's so concealable, so reliable, and so close to a 1911 in function and in the way it strips.

Early on I replaced the plastic recoil spring guide rod with a metal one; other than that, no modifications. Being a southpaw, I asked my gunsmith about installing an ambi thumb safety and he said it wouldn't be practical. So I've adopted the practice of carrying it in Cond. 2 and thumbcocking it on the draw. I would be among the first to frown on Cond. 2 carry of any semi-auto, but I've made my peace with the practice with this particular gun and the way I carry it.

I have been tempted to get one of the (relatively) new little Sig 380s that are essentially their version of the Mustang and which do have an ambi safety, but I'm pretty attached to my little Colt.

BTW, before I got the Mustang I carried an AMT Backup. Like the Mustang, a great little highly-concealable close-range hand-cannon with an almost identical footprint, but there was no way to de-cock it without dry-firing, and no way to strip it without driving out a pin. I traded it for the Mustang and the rest is history.

BTW, it feeds hollowpoints just fine.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
The sights (more properly the lack there of) keep me from getting a Colt Mustang or XSP.
Front sight (on both) is just a tiny black post and the rear are black also.
The front can't be changed on the Mustang but can on the XSP.
But for the price I shouldn't have to.

I got a P238, for a better price, with tritium night sights.
It's been flawless.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Actually the the bodyguard is a good carry gun. My girlfriend has one. That being said, I have 4 Colt 380s. I do like the Colts better. I would keep the bodyguard and buy the Colt....

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like my little Smith but I dont like the trigger. But if I buy another 380 Ihave to find a place to live

·
Registered
11 Posts
I just made this swap a little under a month ago now.

My main concern with the BG380 was not the trigger pull, which is long, but that my wife didn't like to shoot it. Does no good if I am the only one that can handle it.

The Mustang is a blast at the range for sure, but lacks in ease of carry. Either of these two guns are being used primarily as a pocket carry BUG. The extra weight and width makes a difference.

That being side I'm normally in dress slacks while carrying.

I sold my BG380 but I wish I would have held unto it because it does have a place where the Colt is tough.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've got a friend who has one and carriedit for a long time. He really likes his. I've got an eye opened for the right deal on one.
TF

·
Registered
644 Posts
The bodyguard is the most uncomfortable .380 I've ever shot. Just awful. Bad trigger and painful in the hand.

I had a late '80's Mustang Pocketlite. It was carried as a true BUG. The size was great, but as a lefty, it wasn't really workable, and I carried it in Condition 2. Never really liked that...

Fast forward to today, and I'm currently searching for the new XSP pistol. I actully think it's going to be just what I'm looking for. I'm no longer in LE, but do like the gym shorts, workout, t-shirt wearing ease of carry a small pistol offers.

I'll be the second Colt I've ever had.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
No reason to have a 1911 handgun style/type for a 380 caliber. The right gunsmith could make the bodyguard trigger better, now granted that S&W don't have the "best" trigger but which polymer pistol does?

One of the best triggers that I have experience for that small caliber has been the Khar 380, very accurate too, rent one, shoot it, try them all out before making the plunge. IMO 380 or 9mm handguns should not be made to mimic a 1911, want a 1911, get a .45!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts