1911Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Wilson Protector does anyone know what ammo has the lowest flash with this gun or other .45s? I've seen Vihtavuori mentioned.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
If your concern with muzzle flash is for defensive shooting reasons, that will eliminate several types of defensive ammo. Hydrashok has a pretty good flash as does Speer Gold Dot. The loudest, biggest, and brightest muzzle flash I have seen comes from Aguila 117 gr hollowpoint ammo. As for ball ammo, Blazer has a hefty flash, but as I recall, Fiocchi was more subdued.

Keep in mind that flash can occur in different manners. When the flash is of yellow color, it won't be as bright, although you may have a large flash. White flash can be quite blinding. Aguila 117 gr has a huge white flash, almost like a flash bulb on a camera.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I've had excellent luck with the Winchester USA JHP's. I did a review, and it's posted over at www.pistolsmith.com .

Muzzle flash with this load in .40 and .45 is low, and quite acceptable.

Stay away from the Winchester Silvertip loadings, as they are the worst I've seen yet.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Evaluate Pro-Load. The loads I have tried have been very low flash.
I have some .45 ACP 200 grain +P coming in next week and will see how that is in the flash department.

·
Registered
27,692 Posts
If you shoot at night with a flashlight (you really have to ID that target before you double tap it) you might want to check out how much smoke your load puts out. On a humid night, it can be amazing with a bright flashlight. You won't be able to see through the cloud of smoke to shoot again.

What is the purpose of having low flash? If you shoot at night you should be using a light. The flash is not that noticeable when you have a light on.

I do a fair amount of night training and a flashlight is the only way to go for me. You have to be able to see what you are shooting.

------------------
"What most of these people need is a good slap upside the head. What I don't need is any more lawsuits." John "The Tooz" Matusak

1 - 5 of 5 Posts