1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi

I'm looking to buy a Bushy M-4 and I have heard horror stories about how loud the Y-comp brakes are. My question is, is the Ak-47 type brake they sell any better? Also, does the brake really make that much of a difference, or should I just forget about it?

Thanks

Edit: Also, hows the Wilson Muzzlebrake?

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
IMO they are all loud. It's not an issue outdoors with proper hearing protection, but they are loud. I would rather not have one on a gun I might have to fire without hearing protection (hunting or self defense).

·
Super Moderator
13,665 Posts
The AK brake on those Bushy is even worse than the Mini Y-comp. The AK brake make more noise, produces more concussion, bigger and brighter muzzle flash. Either get one with the Mini Y or the plain barrel. You can send the upper to places such as Wilson Combat or EGW or Kurts Kustom for their brakes, which are superior to the miniY and AK.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Mini-Y comp is brutal. Period. Order the rifle with out the brake and either have KKF instal one of his or wait until next Sept and have a real FS installed.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Forget about it, take that money and spend it on some mags, ammo or trigger parts.

Everyone going ga-ga over this brake and that brake on an AR-15 is way off base, muzzle brake looks cool, but you will see very little effect from it. The very design of the AR precludes the use of a brake in itself, the spring and plunger setup in the stock reduce so much recoil that your money will be better spent elsewhere.

Find someone who has an AR without a brake and shoot it or order yours without a brake and shoot it, then find someone who has a brake on their AR and shoot it, the difference will be noticable, you won't feel like someone is banging a bass drum in your face.

Follow up shots are not hard by any means, with a slight bit of practice you'll be popping multiple rounds into a target at 50 yards and beyond fairly fast in no time.

If you find your gun that uncontrollable get a fore grip.

C'mon fellas your dealing with a 55 grain bullet.

·
Registered
426 Posts
If your application will require fast "double-taps" such as 3-Gun shooting, you will find a brake useful as it will reduce muzzel jump. Otherwise, as per earlier posts, Ar-15 recoil in minimal and a brake is useless for that purpose. I have used the BM AK style, JP "tank brake" (works best) and the EGW "Race" comp. All work, I like the EGW because its small and not likely to get hooked on barricades or other props and fits Limited or Tactical class rules.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
How do these others compare to the short, fat one (three ports on each side) coming on the new Colt M4?

·
Registered
769 Posts
I ordered my RRA M4 with the standard A2 break. I've been pleased with that. Like others have stated I wouldn't want a mini Y or AK break. If you take AR classes or shoot around a group of them you learn to dislike the comp breaks fast.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for all the replys!

I actually decided to splurge and bought a pre-ban M-4 yesterday with a flash hider!

Thanks again

·
Super Moderator
13,665 Posts
The Wilson compensator that came on my Rock River does wonders to minimize muzzle flash even under moonlight conditions. It's less than some small caliber handguns (9mm, .38).

·
Registered
3,084 Posts
I think the advice to forget about the brake and use the money for ammo, etc... is the way to go. As stated before the action of the rifle itself reduces the recoil enough so that even the most sensitive should not have a problem with it. The .223/5.56 is really a tame round which does not produce all that much recoil in the first place. All the brake will accomplish is to empty your wallet and make the noise harder on your ears. If what you are after is the "look" of it on the end wait until next year and buy a flash suppressor if the ban is not renewed. Stay safe, Gary

·
Registered
579 Posts
I found no noticeable difference in recoil between my Bushy M4 w/ AK brake ane my RRA M4 with faux flash hider.I prefered the look of the FFH and it had less muzzle blast.My AK comp was LOUD at the range but bothered bystanders, not me because I was behind it.

·
Registered
769 Posts
Ricky T makes a good point some may forget about. A good benefit of a muzzle break is flash supression in low light. Huge difference over AR's with nothing or a faux break.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts