1911Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When holding in a firing grip if I extend my hand straight ahead and point with my index finger the barrel is pointing down towards the ground.

I currently have a flat mainspring housing? Would an arched housing be better for me?

·
Registered
972 Posts
I'd say you have two choices. Either train youself to point the gun with the grip configuration you have (this can be done but it take time and work), or change the grip configuration. Arched main spring housing would be the logical place to start.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dave T said:
... train youself to point the gun with the grip configuration you have (this can be done but it take time and work)
I've been doing this one with limited success. IMO if I am checking right, the low point is quite pronounced.

Basically, if I get a firing grip on my unloaded gun, then close my eyes, raise my elbow, then extend out like I am pointing at something (natural point), when I open my eyes, my index finger is over the ejection port and not alongside the frame.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
Time to do presentations. Lots of presentations. I just tried a presentation with my eyes closed and then opened them and not only was my gun pointed at the target, the sights were aligned as well.

:p

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
I had to try out what you were describing. With a 1911, if your trigger finger is up over the ejection port, you can't possibly have started with a proper grip. The index and middle fingers would have to be spread completely apart. In my natural grip, they are closed together at the second knuckle. Does your hand do this with a full-sized 1911?

·
Registered
604 Posts
After World War I the Army changed over to the arched mainspring housing to address just such an issue.

Some people also exhibit a "convulsive grip" when firing a weapon. Instead of just the trigger finger moving, all fingers convulse which pulls the muzzle down.

It also depends on how "fleshy" one's hands are.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Norman and Mus, I agree. But if the gun points naturally for you doesn't that make it easier (and quicker)?

AZ Husker, I tried it very slowly both from the holster and by placing the gun in the web of my hand with my weak hand to make sure I had the proper grip. I'm not sure what you are saying about the index and middle finger knuckles. Mine can't possibly touch as you say because the trigger guard is inbetween them. My finger is not completely "over" the ejection port (as in over the top of the slide)but the tip is definitely in the port.

This was with a full size Kimber Custom. Web of hand high in beavertail, middle finger under trigger guard, thumb riding safety.

For comparison I tried this again with a friend's Glock (supposed to have weird grip angle) and it pointed much better. Still slightly downward, but finger was mostly in line with the frame.

I'll try again when I get home, but I don't think it's hold that's the problem.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No criticism of you intended.

However, I have taught hundreds of police recruits shooting, and I have never seen anyone able to hold a glock in a natural, one-handed shooting hold that didn't naturally point it high. I mean like hitting head shots while aiming center mass at 5 yards.

Think your bone construction is a little out of normal range? Not calling you the elephant man or anything.

Anyways, I agree that this is going to take some real practice, like at least a thousand presentations for several days running to fix it properly into your muscle memory. Mirror draws, with a safe gun.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No offense taken folks.

That's why I asked the question. I wanted to know if I was looking for a hardware solution to a software problem.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Like placa105 said, if you have gotten used to Glocks you will certainly have a problem pointing a 1911. Glocks are fine pistols, but they do no point well for me at all. Others disagree. I'm sure to them my 1911s with a flat main spring housing point way low. Watch-Six

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
"Use the force Luke" ;)

If you are pointing low naturally then just switch to an arched housing, that's why they exist.

·
Premium Member
20,434 Posts
I'd go shooting with an experienced 1911 instructor for an evaluation. As the others have said, the Glock is not a naturally pointing pistol for most folks. Do you have more experience shooting another style? Comfort and natural aim is very important. It could be that the 1911 isn't the platform for you?

When I was talking about the second knuckle touching, I should have said "nearly". Try the old "fake gun" point with your shooting hand. Are all four fingers parallel? While leaving your last three fingers together, straighten them out. Is there a "V" between your index and middle finger? A natural point should have them all together, pointing straight at your target.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
AZ, I shoot almost exclusively 1911 pistols. I will occasionally use my HiPower, but haven't for awhile. Other guns have been passing fancy or just a "try this one" at the range.

I did some verryy slooowww deliberate presentations for several minutes and the sights started closing in to where they should be. Still not perfect, but much better than before.

Watch-six, I think the angle is only part of the thing with the grip on the Glock. Double stack guns have always felt better in my hand. My hand seems "filled" with a double stack and I am applying even force over the entire grip. With single stack guns I feel pressure at the front and back straps, but don't feel like I am gripping the gun with my whole hand.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Garrettwc, you're not alone on this one, I brough up a same topic as yours awhile back and at this point, I try to remember which pistol I'm carrying/shooting at the time.

I don't have problem with my Glock when pointing with eyes close, but when I do that with my Kimber, it's pointed low and I though that was the weight different between the two, keep practice with my Kimber and getting better but still thinking about the arch housing though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts