1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
This is my first post on the 1911 forum. Seems to be a wealth of knowledge here. I have always been a die hard Glock guy in the past. Owned them in 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 acp. I have a Glock 34 and 19 now, both 9mm's. I finally decided to make the plunge into the world of 1911 pistols. Initially I was looking at Colts and had almost decided on a Colt 1991 in stainless for $589.00. When I was out looking around at the variuos modles, I ended up at Scottsdale Gun Center and started talking with the sales people and was pointed in the direction of the Springfield Armory 1911-A1 "loaded" in stainless. They were selling them for $599.00. For the extra $10.00, the Loaded SA was the obviuos choice. I own a couple of AR-15's, and my Pre-ban Colt has a much nicer fit and finish than my American Spirit Arms. In the case of the 1911's, I didn't see the justification for the price of the Colt with the lack of features compared to the Loaded Springfield. So, long story short... I now own a full size Loaded Springfield in stainless.
One of the things that the sales guys pointed out to me was that the Loaded modles he has been getting in do not have the Brazil import lowers on them. Along with the NM serial number designation. He said that the loaded pistols are comming with the TRP lowers on them now. Is it true? I don't know. But he did show me a lower grade springfield with tha brazil import stamp to compare. So, In everybody's opinion. Was $599 a good price for a Stainless Loaded? And was this a good "starter" 1911?

Have a good one everybody,

·
Registered
168 Posts
Welcome aboard, have2rotties!

Yes, I believe that price is very good for a stainless loaded.

I have caught the .45 fever and have recently acquired a pair. My first was a loaded Champion.

Opinions will vary on which particular gun/model/version is best to start, so just go with what you want to do.

I live in an area not serviced by several gun stores so I rely heavily on what I see on the Forum for what is good/bad/indifferent.

I can't comment on the lowers or frame question. Sorry.

So, get out there and throw down a couple of hundred rounds and let all of us know how that loaded works!

Regards

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Mishmash for the reply.

Took it out to the range today. Only put about 50 rounds through it. I was really out there to sight in the AR for a varmint hunt tomorrow. It did pretty well. It had one fail to feed. Being only once I don't know if it was mag related. I was shooting at about 25 feet off of a rest. It seemed to shoot about 3 to 4 inches lower than my point of aim. Anybody have suggestions on whether this is typical of the "break in period". The grouping was about 3 inches vertical and about 1 inch horizontal. All in all I am very pleased with it. My only concern being that it is hitting low. Is this something Springfield may have to be involved in?

Have a good new years everyone and be safe.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm under the impression that the Imbel Brazil frames are amoung the best made frames you can get. This fame should not be considered a bad selling point. I could be wrong, what do others think?

·
Registered
168 Posts
That sounds like a good first outing.

I had a few fte and ftb for a while when my gun was new. Caused, I'm sure, by a combination of tight, new gun and my slow-poke reloads. After a few hundred rounds and a couple of cleanings my Springfield will load FMJ or JHP with ease. It also didn't hurt to speed up the bullet a little, either.

The SA Loaded models are sighted to a 6 o'clock sight picture at 50 feet, I believe. This could account for your rounds landing below the point of aim. I had to work through a little bit of the recoil anticipation as well to clean up my groups.
You have the Novak Low Mount sights, right? (No up/down adjustment).

Appears you are well on your way. Looks like you are going to have a great shooter.

Regards

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have always been under the impresion that imbel frames are among the best forgings available at any price and one of the most popular for the custom builders.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I have always been under the impresion that imbel frames are among the best forgings available at any price and one of the most popular for the custom builders.
never heard that before. what i have heard is that a couple big name 1911 makers private label frames/slides made by ruger.

but i do agree with binger, brazilian frames should not be a bad selling point. i think almost all SA frames and receivers are from brazil.

-kotonk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts