1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own eight 9mm 1911's, all bought new.

The Guns:
2 Dan Wesson PM-9's
1 Guncrafter No Name Custom Commander
1 Nighthawk Bob Marvel Custom
1 Rock Island Armory 4.25" Commander
1 Rock Island Armory 5" Tac II
1 Sig Sauer Match Elite
1 Wilson Combat 5" CQB

When the guns are brand new I always use the stock magazines for the first two or three mags, then I switch over to 10 round WC ETM's - the previous generation with the plastic follower.

I put all the guns through the same tests using 115 & 124 grain ball ammo, 135 grain flat point (Freedom Munitions new only) and 147 grain flat point (Federal American Eagle and Speer Lawman).

All of my guns perform 100% with the old style ETM mags.
Just curious if other have had similar experiences.

At this time I see no reason to switch to the new generation mags.

WC Rep, your thoughts?

Thanks,
Chip

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
If they feed what you shoot there's no need to change. I have 20 older ETM's and every one has been 100% with 115, 124 and 147 ball.

·
Premium Member
3,508 Posts
After my Wilson 9mms went back to Wilson, MecGar and older Wilson mags worked fine with good ammo. By older Wilson mags, I am even going back to the Wilson mags with the glued base plate of about six years ago.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
The new mags were designed specially to feed, flawlessly, short nosed (JHP and FN) rounds. Bill had issues with those and designed a new magazine. If you have no problems, no need to look any farther.

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Glad to hear all of those 9mm are running well.

I'm gonna keep my XTAC-C running on the old style ETMs. My wife's CQB-C may need the newer style ETMs to help with several feeding issues.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I have 6 of the older ETM's for my 9mm CQB and I have never had any trouble with any of them. I load them to 10 rounds. I will continue to use them until they go bad then I will buy the new ones. Of course if they have a sale around Christmas time I will buy a few.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Wilson pistol - The only real issue I had with the older ETM was seating them on a slide forward reload on a pistol with a magwell.

Baer pistol - always finicky with the first round nose diving of a fully loaded 10 round mag.

Nowlin pistol - very temperamental about locking back on an empty mag.

Springfield pistol - Combination of all of the above.

ALL of these problems in ALL the pistols gone with the new ETM mag. VERY impressed. I will be running these new mags at the IDPA World Championship. :)

·
Registered
946 Posts
Not to steal the thread but since we are talking about 9mm 10rd mags. . . . I ordered 3 Chip McCormick 10rd 9mm 1911 mags. They had a high rating and were very difficult to find. Well you need to be weightlifter with a mag loader to get the 10th round in and when you do it refuses to seat. (Kimber Custom II & Sig Traditional Match)

McCormick said to ship them back and would replace. It seems there was a bad run some time ago.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Bought a 9MM Citadel last December. Ordered 2 Wilson 10 rd mags for it, wanted the extra round for IDPA. They work with round nose ammo, tried some 126 SWC cast, nose hangs on the ramp, they work fine with the 2 Metalform mags that came with the gun. Just bought another Metalform for it. I also bought a couple .45 Wilson mags because they have plastic followers. So far I'm not impressed with the Wilson mags, they are certainly not the best mags I have and they also cost more. As far as I'm concerned Wilson is way over rated.

·
Registered
13,378 Posts
Bought a 9MM Citadel last December. Ordered 2 Wilson 10 rd mags for it, wanted the extra round for IDPA. They work with round nose ammo, tried some 126 SWC cast, nose hangs on the ramp, they work fine with the 2 Metalform mags that came with the gun. Just bought another Metalform for it. .
Jeez Pete thats why we designed the NEW 9mm mag!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I curse the day I bought the old ETM mags to be honest, bought 7 of them and had issues with both my STI Tactical SS and STI USPSA pistols. First I could not seat the mag when fully loaded so I loaded and unloaded the mags multiple times but still have to force them in. Numerous FTF also. Both pistols run fine with Metalform 10 rd mags.
I live in Belgium but bought them in AZ so I'm pretty much screwed.

·
Premium Member
5,732 Posts
CT-Chip
Send the magazines to me so I can look them over really good . I'll
tell you which ones are good and which ones need to be replaced . I'll
send the good ones back to you . I promise .:)

·
Registered
127 Posts
I have been using The 9mm ETM magazines since the Fall of 2010 with an STI Trojan, no feeding issues, they are hard to seat. They will not seat in an old Colt MkIV Series 70 9mm I had, would with slide back but slide would not close. not the magazines fault. Had extremely good luck with the original ETM in my SIG, Rock Island and STI 9mm 1911s. Would like to try the new magazines to see if they seat easier than the originals. Been using these in USPSA matches for about 5 years now, dropped on concrete, dropped in gravel, dropped in dirt, step on some, never had to retire any of them! Worth every dime IMO.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts