1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a couple weeks ago about a pile of reloading gear for sale here locally. Some said buy it, some said run away. Well, I couldn't stand it so I took the plunge. I already had the .45 dies and tumbler. Now I am a real reloader.

I have made the following recipe: 230 gr. Zero FMJ bullets with a .7 cc Lee measuring spoon of Unique (6.4 gr.). I took the first 50 to the range to test and they all went boom. I did notice a slight varience in the amount of "power" so I am being more careful about getting each dipper full more accurately to the top. I did order the cheap scale from Midway, but it's not here yet. I have not tried to use the beam scale included in the deal, other than playing around with it (weighing bullets etc). I have not used the powder dropper, just cleaned and checked it.

Included was two cans of powder, the 4772 and the Accurate #5 on the bench. I had to buy the Unique, the large primers, the bullets, the Lee dippers, and a few other gadgets. Over all, I am very happy. Except for my incredibly sore shoulder from pulling on the press.....:bawling: I have loaded another 250 and am doing a batch this time of 1200 or so. I am running all through the hand primer tool over the next couple days. I am just about ready to get a turret press.......

I mounted the press on a "stage" built up from scrap lumber. The 4x6's make a good heavy platform. And I can move it off the bench when I have had enough fun for awhile. I have a tall shop stool that I sit at and get "the workout". My 9 year old had to walk on my back last night.

Included in the deal was 1900 small primers and about 2100 pieces of 9mm brass. I haven't fooled with the 9mm stuff yet. I guess that I had better get my Camp 9 Carbine fixed :biglaugh:

Rob

·
Registered
651 Posts
Nice looking bench

Nice looking bench and welcome to the world of reloading. Now as for your sore
shoulder. Except for my incredibly sore shoulder from pulling on the press..... I know the feeling having had the massave damage repaired to my right shoulder a few years ago. Take breaks offen!!! Consider taking some Advil Jell Caps do help and Ice on the shoulder is a major plus!!!!
Chief

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I forgot to mention that the little waste basket with the blue basket in it were two scores from the local Dollar Tree. The basket just happened to fit into the waste basket. I then drilled lots of holes in the blue basket for seperating the media from the brass. Works great, cost $2 and even matches the tumbler. I also bought a gang of plastic containers at the Dollar Tree. I knew that store was good for something other than cheap light bulbs and batteries:dope: .

Rob

·
Registered
136 Posts
Good deal!

I would highly reccomend to get that powder off the table and only have one container up there at a time. Sooner or later you will get confused and load the wrong thing if you have an option. Just one of those safety things that dont cost anything.
Looks like you are off and running.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts