1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was doing some dry-fire practice last night with some snap caps. When I was finished, I removed the magazine and attempted to rack the slide to eject the snap cap, but the side would only retract about half an inch so I couldn't eject the snap cap. The slide will go forward back into battery just fine, but won't retract reward more than that half inch.

The gun is a lightly used Mk III with about 350 rounds through it. I don't know if there is something broken inside that is causing the problem or if maybe a reassembly after stripping for cleaning snafu is causing it?

Any ideas of what's causing the problem and how to fix it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
385 Posts
I think the firing pin might be stuck in the snap cap. Normally, when the slide is retracted slightly the barrel drops down to unlock. If the firing pin is stuck in the snap cap the barrel cannot drop down so it locks up the slide.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The slide retracts far enough for the barrel to drop down and disengage the lug lockup. I can see the snap cap rattling around in the chamber/slide opening and can tell that's not the issue.

Thanks for the response!

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. It can be a tricky affair to diagnose from a distance but try the following:

Remove the magazine

Push upward on the slide stop lever. There should be downward spring tension on it. If there is not, the recoil spring guide may be in the pistol upside down. In some instances, it will limit rearward slide movement.

IF this is the case, see if you can push the slide stop lever out of the pistol so that the slide/barrel/recoil spring assembly can be slid off of the front of the frame.

If that doesn't work, advise and we'll try something else. Your comment concerning a possible "snafu" after reassembling the pistol suggested that this might at least be a possibility.

Best.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stephen,

I was hoping you would see this and be able to offer some suggestions. I've tried to push out the slide stop lever but it's in their pretty snug. I had visions of pushing the slide stop out and the slide rocketing across the room, so I didn't use very much force.

I'll perform the test you suggested and try a bit more force to remove the slide stop. I've only disassembled/reassembled the Hi-Power a few times, so I'm not as familiar with the procedure as I am with the 1911. That's why I have a sneaky suspicion a "reassembly snafu" (i.e. the upside down recoil spring guide) may be the culprit.

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
274 Posts
If all else fails:

Just kidding!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I pushed up on the slide stop lever. There doesn't appear to be downward spring tension on it.

I tried to knock out the slide stop, but the back end of it sits in a little groove in the frame above the grip that keeps it from popping out, so I can get the slide stop out only a little bit. I'm screwed!

What the heck am I going to do now?!? It looks like I'll have to have someone cut the slide stop in half behind the "pin" that goes through the frame so it can be pulled out?

Either that or I'm going to have one very expensive paper weight!

Tom - the hammer I used wasn't that big! :)

·
Registered
4,882 Posts
Hello. It does sound like the recoil spring guide is in upside down. It, along with the bbl and spring and slide slid back onto the frame when reassembled. The recoil spring guide, has slipped out of that original position since it was assembled incorrectly. You might try moving the slide back-and-forth rapidly a few times and then seeing if the slide can be retracted because the recoil spring guide has been slightly repositioned. If that doesn't do the trick, I'd take it to a gunsmith.

If it becomes necessary, the slide stop can be cut left of the rear of the slide stop in the picture as you mentioned. If that is done, the slide stop should be able to be removed and the slide/barrel/spring assembly moved off of the front of the gun. The "beheaded" rear portion of the slide stop that couldn't be removed can be held downward with the thumb so that the slide can move over it. You wind up replacing the slide stop but that beats ruining the gun.

Best and good luck.

PS: If you are getting pretty frustrated, just sit the pistol aside for a while or take it to a 'smith. I know that just letting it sit is often easier said than done. It is not unusual to hear from folks who have reassembled their Hi Power with the recoil spring guide rod upside down but often times they find it after firing the gun. It usually breaks the guide rod and the assembly can be removed. Your situation is one of the more severe cases I've seen in a while, but if push comes to hard shove, a 'smith should be able to cut off the slide stop lever without nicking the frame.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Stephen,

I've tried rapidly rqcking the slide with the gun in various orientations to get things back into a position that will allow the slide to fully retract. Unfortunately I didn't have any success. I'm afraid it's time for a trip to the gunsmith....

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Stephen,

I will keep you advised. Right now I think I'm going to do as you suggested and just put it aside for awhile.

Thanks again for your help...

Regards,
Rooney

·
Registered
114 Posts
I had one on which lower lug on the barrel sheared off, where the cross pin fits. I had same problem, could not get slide to move. I ended up doing what Mr. Camp suggests, take it to a good smith, and do not watch, it can violent and disturbing, the hammer tool was necessary.
mikehp

·
Premium Member
15,719 Posts
When I have put the spring guide in upside down, I have forced the slide. At worst you might put a scratch inside the frame. I LOVE THINGS YOU CAN FIX WITH A HAMMER! Put the bottom front corner of the slide on the edge of a chair or other piece of wood and put your weight down on it.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Success!

1saxman,

"You da' man!"

I did as you suggested and the slide popped right open! It didn't really take that much force. I just put it on the edge of a chair, put my weight on it and it opened right up.

Now I need to disassemble, and put the recoil spring guide back in correctly.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

P.S. - Now I don't feel like such a bonehead knowing someone else has done this too!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I had one on which lower lug on the barrel sheared off, where the cross pin fits. I had same problem, could not get slide to move. I ended up doing what Mr. Camp suggests, take it to a good smith, and do not watch, it can violent and disturbing, the hammer tool was necessary.
mikehp
:biglaugh: Last mag safety I removed, it had been awhile and I did it in the wrong order which made things a lot more difficult. I said some things that would make a truck driver blush.

·
Premium Member
15,719 Posts
1saxman,

"You da' man!"

I did as you suggested and the slide popped right open! It didn't really take that much force. I just put it on the edge of a chair, put my weight on it and it opened right up.

Now I need to disassemble, and put the recoil spring guide back in correctly.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

P.S. - Now I don't feel like such a bonehead knowing someone else has done this too!
Great - glad it popped for you. Some may not admit it, but every HP owner has done it at least once.

·
Registered
222 Posts
re: "glad it popped for you. Some may not admit it, but every HP owner has done it at least once".....:biglaugh::) would you believe just yesterday!!!

After owning mine for years and years too....

thankfully I had the owners manual handy and saw what I had done...

still.....live & learn.....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts