1911Forum banner

My C2 experiences thus far......

396 13
I'll get right down to it.......ZERO complaints with the C2 I added a couple months ago.....a few weeks after Dad ordered his CS....(which he's still waiting on).
Spoke with him yesterday and he has no idea of the delivery time.

C2 feels great in hand.
FWIW, the balance point, when empty and wearing both the optic & light....is just at the slide stop pin.

Trigger is clean, crisp and perfect pull weight for ccw.
The thumb safety & ambi are very deliberate and tactile. No mush in 'em. Crisp engagement. Ample ledge for my to ride....and yes, I'm a rider of the safety. Sue me, lol. Some of the comments I see elsewhere on here had posters balking over someone riding the safety during shooting. Their issues to worry about...not mine.

The grip safety is absolutely stellar. Staccato gets these things right. Unobtrusive for carry, yet full width to protect while facilitating a high grip. Nicely humped making it easy to defeat at every attempt. I've shot it with both hands with different grip positions (hand indexed in different rotation around the grip) and haven't missed it yet.
It is smoothly surfaced...glides in hand. Close eyes and feel around beneath it....imperceptible where it joins the frame.

The DLC coated barrel, recoil rod & end cap have me wishing I'd ordered the same on my P two years ago. In addition to having a ninja'd look from the bidness end....the lubricity of the oiled DLC is smooove.
I can only imagine how much more slick my P's barrel would be. May sound like a goofball splitting hairs...but keeping a bull barrel well lubed is a desire. I'll definitely be doing some aftermarket DLC work on my P barrel & internals.

After a year under my belt with the P...and another 2011, I was sold on the 2011 and I was impressed with Staccato as a company and how they stepped up hugely to make my P perfect. They are doing things right in Texas. 馃嚭馃嚥

I knew I wanted to carry a 馃敶 equipped weapon....have been doing so already with a P229.
No issues with the P229.....it has been flawless.....but I prefer carrying a 1911 as it is more comfortable and what I shoot most often. Cocked & locked is very natural, reassuring, comfortable and I shoot 1911 pistolas better.

The hubbub about the new CS was in full scale hype on internet & email updates when I was making the decision to add an optic equipped 1911 or 2011 CCW.

I simply didn't want anything overly small, nor with a proprietary magazine. I've made a significant investment with 2011 mags and appreciate the fact they can be pre-loaded for 600rd range sessions if desired.

Springs & floor plates are easy to get.

I've had zero trouble with them.

The C2 was a clear winner for me between it and the CS.

16 round mag in

17 round mag in

20 round mag in

26 round funstick in :)

Mounted a TRL-7A on the frame.
It affords a nice offhand thumb rest that has yet to result in undesired deployment of light...yet, a slight offhand thumb movement is all that is required to either flash it or toggle it on completely.

Excellent irons on it that allowed fast hits on target.

The Dawson sights are perfect...in my opinionated opinion. :)
Green fiber optic front simply jumps out at my eye.
I've noticed the fiber rods that Dawson uses are a more vivid green than some other makers fiber optic sights.
The serrated square notch rear frames the front precisely....yet swiftly.

I ran it hard on some initial sessions. Ran it with 115gr Blazer aluminum and brass. Ran it with 124gr Norma & 124gr Blazer brass. I've run it with some 115gr Fed BPLE.
I've mixed mags with different loads and ran 'em fast....zero bobbles with the gun.

After a few such range sessions an RMR was added....identical to the one on my P.

Regarding that P.....suffice to say that I am absolutely smitten with it. The gun runs like a hungry beast....super slick slide action (steel frame), crazy fast/flat/accurate. Very, very pleased.

One caveat, however, it did receive a trip back to Staccato for some work on the safeties. They swapped out the original parts with some that are very smoothly contoured....result being no more biting the web area of my paw when I shoot & work the thumb safety. Long range sessions created a bleeding spot that never callused...BEFORE. After they shipped her back there was an immediate & noticeable difference. They nailed it. Problem solved.

They said the new parts would be included on the newer models moving forward.

True to their word....my C2 arrived with the smooth radius goodness already installed. (y) (y) (y)

Hits on target are now super fast with the RMR....recovery of dot over target after recoil is almost, but not quite, somewhat as fast as the P.

The shorter grip surface is also a non-issue for me. I wear XL-sized gloves, yet the gun fits nicely in my paws.
The shorter grip is interesting in that when you make your grip on the holstered gun there is limited real estate for my paw to drift over....it's a simple finger grasp & wrap. The pronounced lower tang is ramped in such a way that during the grasp & wrap the fingers are nudged into consistent position as opposed to the larger frame on the P...where my hand can vary on placement.

Pleasantly surprising to me. I was expecting the same type of effort/motion/efficiency that compared to drawing my G19 & EDC X9 (mine doesn't have the magwell). This sucker is more secure yet more forgiving.

Badass little gun.

Thus far I am using an LAS Concealment Saya 2.0 for both the guns.
I plan on also using the soft loops w/ directional snaps to see how well that works.

My range bag is packed.....with this little beast going along, too.

It is due for a cleaning at some point soon....not certain of the round count....but it's been through at least 600rds. Dad, my son, the RSO and I really put it though the paces during a late December range trip. No problems for anyone.

Dad really shot it the most.

My son & the RSO were hung up on shooting the TRS-C.

Me.....I kept going back to the P.....over and over again. It is my favorite gun to run right now.

I"ll update after next couple more range sessions. (y)
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I meant to add this, too.

Found this on the youtubes.......the guy makes it look like a piece of cake.

I'll say this....taking this puppy down DOES make one really appreciate the Dawson Tool-less guide rod used in the P.

It's not bad, however....depending on where you are currently positioned along the ARTHRITIS CONTINUUM :ROFLMAO:

You just have to be deliberate when manipulating the spring with your fingers.....and by all means wear safety glasses & keep that sucker captured at all times.

Registered
So it sounds like you like the C2. I was hesitant at first but mainly because of it's alloy frame but now I really like them. The grips are just right for me, I didn't like the new grips on my P's and XL's so I went back to Gen1 ES grips but the C2's just fit my hand so right I'm happy with them. Maybe it was the magwells on the others I didn't like how they fit my hand so I went back to the tactical slims.
Funny on the thumb safety, when I shoot weak handed (left) the thumb safety pinches the web of my hand. I didn't know they would bother with something like that, the safety on my Combat Master is more smoothed/contoured and doesn't bite, wonder if that's what they did for you.
On the DLC for your others, I facing the same thing on some of mine, Staccato will do it for 200 bucks and others will do it for 1/4 that price, I'm just wondering who to trust.
One thing I learned on sights is you can get them with tall or low. My first DPO had tall sights and I changed them to low and the second I bought for optic had low but I still had the tall front.
The last thing I'll probably do is change the FO on the iron sighted one to Trijicon HD like I did on others, not a FO fan.

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Registered
I've been considering a C2 for awhile as a transition to the dot pistol. I've been playing around with a Shadow Systems and while its an amazing pistol I much prefer the 1911 type of pistol. It seems that most people are carrying AIWB with the C2, who makes a traditional IWB and OWB holster for them?

Reactions: DubfromGa

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've been considering a C2 for awhile as a transition to the dot pistol. I've been playing around with a Shadow Systems and while its an amazing pistol I much prefer the 1911 type of pistol. It seems that most people are carrying AIWB with the C2, who makes a traditional IWB and OWB holster for them?

The P was the gun that I used as my introduction to the red dot.

I felt at home with it right away....the 1911 feel was instantly familiar and welcome. For a doublestack gun....it is not overly bulky....in my opinion.

Running it some with irons had me very comfortable....then the easy install of the RMR...and a home run on the first range trip with the 馃敶. Simply made the same grip and press out to target....maybe on a slightly more elevated plane...just slightly. Vision focused on the target the entire time. Dot appeared as if by magic....never breaking target focus....the dot hovers over target, bouncing slightly during recoil.

It is amazing how swift the process sounds.

It seemingly defied logic. How was the introduction of electronic gadgetry able to make it more natural ? The answer, for me, was simply keeping my vision always focused on the target....the dot just shows up over the target. This greatly sped the process up. It also helped with the accuracy at distances where my uncorrected 54 year old vision was normally blurry on the target....and somewhat blurry on the front sight....15+ yards....target is clear as dot arrives.

Found the thread where I posted the experiences at that time.

Thread also gets into the excellent solution from Staccato headquarters when they took care of the safety issue that @markm is referring to above. (y)

HOLSTERS:

If you are not using a light it seems there are many more leather options.

Milt Sparks SS2, for instance, is an option.....at least I believe it be.

With the light....leather options seem to narrow down considerably.

I've recently ordered a railed 1911 (irons only) and plan on mounting an X300 on it. I acted on some recommendations and contacted Tim at TT Gunleather.

I was very surprised at how swiftly he works.

He sent in my holster in about two months......still waiting on the pistol build to complete.

I had the P out from a range session the day the TT 1911 holster arrived......figured I'd see how close it fit it.....was surprised that it wasn't too far from a good fit.

The only thing that really stops it from being super is optic on the P DPO.

He has other models, too. (y)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So it sounds like you like the C2. I was hesitant at first but mainly because of it's alloy frame but now I really like them. The grips are just right for me, I didn't like the new grips on my P's and XL's so I went back to Gen1 ES grips but the C2's just fit my hand so right I'm happy with them. Maybe it was the magwells on the others I didn't like how they fit my hand so I went back to the tactical slims.
Funny on the thumb safety, when I shoot weak handed (left) the thumb safety pinches the web of my hand. I didn't know they would bother with something like that, the safety on my Combat Master is more smoothed/contoured and doesn't bite, wonder if that's what they did for you.
On the DLC for your others, I facing the same thing on some of mine, Staccato will do it for 200 bucks and others will do it for 1/4 that price, I'm just wondering who to trust.
One thing I learned on sights is you can get them with tall or low. My first DPO had tall sights and I changed them to low and the second I bought for optic had low but I still had the tall front.
The last thing I'll probably do is change the FO on the iron sighted one to Trijicon HD like I did on others, not a FO fan.

View attachment 666043

Very sharp pair. (y)

The flat triggers look like they'd feel great.

I have a flattie that I will be installing in my P, once I decide on how I'm going to address the DLC for barrel, guide rod bushing & etc.

The gun is running so dang well right now that I'm hesitant to tamper with it. :)
If ever I've had an effortless shooting gun....this one is it for me. It is not unlike standing there and drilling a target with a rimfire.

I'm thinking about Evolution Armory for the DLC work. From what I can see over on 1911 Addicts, he is getting some quick turnaround times.

I'm a fan of the Leupold DPP you have on there.

I'll be shooting my nightstand gun tomorrow that is also wearing a DPP (P320 X-Five, heavyweight).

The clarity is a massive improvement over the hue of the RMR (which I never noticed until shooting the clear DPP). The hue is not a detractor, as the Staccatos are in carry roles where they'll eventually be banging against stuff. Trijicon's RMR reputation for being robust is welcome for my clumsy arse.

The DPP has been impressing me, though. It seems like it's fairly well protected.
The shake-awake feature is very much appreciated for nightstand use. Battery life should be really extended if the gun is left still.

You mention sights.....I'm in two camps now.....on my 1911s I tend to lean towards gold beads...especially the domed-polished types. On the 2011s & 馃敶 equipped guns, I truly like the fiber optics....green fiber optics. Combined with a rear sight they show up nicely for me through the optic lens if needed.

I have some shooting buds who think I'm nuts....they want high viz front discs with tritium inserts. I'll admit the factory X-Ray sights on my little P365 are impressive....and remain unchanged. I can understand the appeal.

Have you been tempted to try one of the Cheely 2011 grips ?

I've gotta admit....been thinking about ordering a stainless model (for the P) and having it DLC coated if/when I send the barrel out for same. Again, though.....that gun is running so well that I'm hesitant to screw around with it.

Was able to gain some extra traction with the Talon slap & wrap pre-cut grip tape.
It's temporary....but works okay. The pattern looks much better on that P320 in the pic above than it does on the generic 2011 cut that went on the P.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wasn't going to but I'm getting one.
(y)

I can't imagine anyone being disappointed....especially since they are now releasing with the excellent safeties.

The only detraction that I could see someone possibly wanting more / less grip traction. For instance, both my P & C2 have identically textured grips....yet I wanted more aggressive for the P....but wish to keep the C2 stock as it'll get more carry use....especially more IWB use. For now the Talon stick-on-and-heat-with-hairdryer grip tape is working well enough on the P.

Good news, however, there are aftermarket grip module options in addition to talented folks who do stippling and can achieve the results you wish.

Registered
Very sharp pair. (y)

The flat triggers look like they'd feel great.

I have a flattie that I will be installing in my P, once I decide on how I'm going to address the DLC for barrel, guide rod bushing & etc.

I'm thinking about Evolution Armory for the DLC work. From what I can see over on 1911 Addicts, he is getting some quick turnaround times.

I'm a fan of the Leupold DPP you have on there.

I'll be shooting my nightstand gun tomorrow that is also wearing a DPP (P320 X-Five, heavyweight).

The clarity is a massive improvement over the hue of the RMR (which I never noticed until shooting the clear DPP). The hue is not a detractor, as the Staccatos are in carry roles where they'll eventually be banging against stuff. Trijicon's RMR reputation for being robust is welcome for my clumsy arse.

The DPP has been impressing me, though. It seems like it's fairly well protected.
The shake-awake feature is very much appreciated for nightstand use. Battery life should be really extended if the gun is left still.

You mention sights.....I'm in two camps now.....on my 1911s I tend to lean towards gold beads...especially the domed-polished types. On the 2011s & 馃敶 equipped guns, I truly like the fiber optics....green fiber optics. Combined with a rear sight they show up nicely for me through the optic lens if needed.

I have some shooting buds who think I'm nuts....they want high viz front discs with tritium inserts. I'll admit the factory X-Ray sights on my little P365 are impressive....and remain unchanged. I can understand the appeal.

Have you been tempted to try one of the Cheely 2011 grips ?

I've gotta admit....been thinking about ordering a stainless model (for the P) and having it DLC coated if/when I send the barrel out for same. Again, though.....that gun is running so well that I'm hesitant to screw around with it.

Was able to gain some extra traction with the Talon slap & wrap pre-cut grip tape.
It's temporary....but works okay. The pattern looks much better on that P320 in the pic above than it does on the generic 2011 cut that went on the P.
Those are Cheely triggers and I like them. Was thinking about one of their stainless grips for one of my open guns but still on the fence.

If you try Evolution for the DLC let me know how it turns out. The only one picture of a barrel they did looks kind of flat/rough and I'm not sure if that's the prep work or what. All my STI/Staccato DLC barrels look almost semi-gloss. None of the DLC barrels I have show any wear but I can see wear on the plain stainless barrel hoods so be interested if that's just the finish is that good or if their fit to not rub on the hood.

I have a dozen DPPs and like them. I have a couple of RMRs but they had problems from the start, I've since fixed them but that with the smaller windows the are relegated to my plinking guns. I've been looking at the Holosun's cause I have 510Cs on one of my MPXs and JP5 and I kind of like the green. I think the just introduced one like the 507 Comp that has a larger window and used DPP mounting, that might be a winner for me if it has DPP mounting, I heard that once and RMR once.

On the grips, I like the texture of the ES grips but I guess you can now order a Staccato grips with that texture too, something like tactical. A friend that I shoot matches with did his own 320 X5 Legion with a silicon carbide epoxy kit and it turned out fantastic if you like real grippy grips.

Registered
Dub I appreciate the information.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: DubfromGa

Registered
Dub/contributors-many thanks. I bought my first 2011, a Staccato C2. So far, 265 rounds of 115, 124 and 147 FMJs as well as some 115 JHPs using all 3 supplied mags and it's running 100%. I'm enjoying using RMRs and Holosuns on my Glocks and Shadow Systems, so my only regret re the C2 is that I didn't hold out for their DPO version. Of course, that can be remedied. Thanks, again.
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

1 - 14 of 14 Posts