1911Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just thought I'd let everyone know that, no matter what people think of your Charles Daly, it's capable enough to make you look competitive at IDPA matches.

I'm not the best shooter in the world, but I managed a decent score shooting my FS at an IDPA match over last weekend. This is the same gun that was giving me all kinds of trouble when I first bought it, but have managed through one trip back to the factory and a whole lot of minor smithing on my part to make it a flawlessly operating gun.

I went through the entire match w/o a hitch and also somehow ended up shooting the most accurately out of the 20-some people there (fewest points down).

And I'm giving most of the credit to the Daly... a gun that I bought NIB for $314. Gotta love that price.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Great to hear! Congrats on shooting well.
I just got my Daly a few weeks ago. I don't know why I waited so long to get a 1911!

I've had a 9mm almost a year, and out of the box, I almost shoot the 1911 just as good. Given some more range time, I think that I will be shooting better with the 1911 than the 9mm.

------------------
"Your suffering will be legendary, even in HELL!!"
-- Pinhead, Hellraiser

·
Registered
711 Posts
Full Metal Jacket;

If you don't mind, would you give a quick run down on every thing that you had to do to get your CD working so good?

I'm thinking about buying another 1911, and I'm torn between a CD and a Colt 1991. At this point, I'm leaning to the Colt.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
I haven't had to do a thing to get my CD to run as well as it does. I have 800 rounds thru it, 700 FMJ, and 100 rounds of HydraShok. Feeds reliably and shoots accurately.

·
Registered
287 Posts
FMJ,
That is sure great news! My local club is a mix of IDPA/IPSC. I am new to the sport and a novice w/1911's. I managed to shoot better with my CD than I do with my Sig 220 that I have had two years. Keep up the good shootin' and respect for the Daly!

·
Registered
15 Posts
what kind of trouble did you have when you first got your CD? i want a 1911 but iam not sure about the daly pistols, it seems guys have been haveing problems with some of them!!!!!!!!
Originally posted by FullMetalJacket:
I just thought I'd let everyone know that, no matter what people think of your Charles Daly, it's capable enough to make you look competitive at IDPA matches.

I'm not the best shooter in the world, but I managed a decent score shooting my FS at an IDPA match over last weekend. This is the same gun that was giving me all kinds of trouble when I first bought it, but have managed through one trip back to the factory and a whole lot of minor smithing on my part to make it a flawlessly operating gun.

I went through the entire match w/o a hitch and also somehow ended up shooting the most accurately out of the 20-some people there (fewest points down).

And I'm giving most of the credit to the Daly... a gun that I bought NIB for $314. Gotta love that price.

------------------
Mulder

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mostly, I experienced jams -- failures to feed. Things I did to fix it: throw out the mags that came with the gun and get some good Wilsons. I replaced the recoil spring with an 18.5# Wolff spring (and changed the firing pin spring to the one that came with the recoil spring). I put a Shok-buff on. Then I polished the feed ramp. I also polished the underside of the slide where the hammer contacts the slide, and polished the part of the hammer that rubs on the slide. these three things allowed the slide to move very smoothly across the frame/hammer when the gun cycled. I also polished the chamber, feed lip of the barrel, and breech face.

After that, the gun has literally be 100% reliable with any and all ammo I have fed it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts