1911Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

i just got my original S70 Colt Gold Cup NM and i took it to the range to test it.
It was the best gun i ever fired !! :D
When i came home and field stripped the gun for cleaning i saw that on one side the little metal part behind the chain (on the barrel) was broken of !! :( :(
And that only after fireing 25 shots !!!!
Does this happen often to 1911's ??
And is it possible to fix it, or should i ask for a new barrel (gun is still under warranty of the dealer). What decrases the vallue the moast ??

Plz Help :(

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I'm sure no parts are supposed to fall off a Colt Gold Cup, especially after 25 rounds. It will definately be covered under warrenty. I think the chain that you are refering to is actually the barrel link. Here is a picture of a barrel, is this the part (circled in red) that broke off?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes its that part that on one side broke off ...

·
Premium Member
740 Posts
I have never seen one of the barrel link legs break off, must be a first for everything.
If the factory warrenty is still in effect, send it back to Colt for a replacement barrel. Is your pistol one of the new re-issue Series 70's, or is it an original Series 70? If it is original, I doubt that Colt will fix it under warrenty.
On Gold Cups, the barrels are fitted to increase accuracy.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its an original S70,
but its still under waranty with the dealer ...
Should i ask for a new barrel ?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
but when i ask for a new barrel i don't have an original S70 GC :(
i think he should give me an Caspian or STI match barrel :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
If it's just a single side of the lug/foot that's broken, a competent gunsmith might be able to weld and refit it. This way, you get to keep your barrel if that's a concern to you. The biggest question is- Why did it break? Fatigue, flaw or ???
If you go this route, seek gunsmith recommendations and expect to ship your gun off somewhere to have it done right. Don't just blindly accept the "Fix" offered by the gunshop. Nothing against any gunshop in particular, but precision welding of high stress areas is a specialty, lots of guys do it, less do it well.

·
Administrator
73,803 Posts
In the old days welding on barrels was common. These days with the availability of new barrels there's no reason to weld on one anymore.

BTW also remember that Gold Cup barrels use a narrower chamber hood than on conventional Government Models.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
Breaking a barrel "foot" is pretty wierd. If you check around the internet you might be able to find an original Series 70 Gold Cup barrel for a replacement. I don't think that would make a difference, value-wise.

·
Registered
Prized 1911A1 - Nighthawk Custom I built while attending gunsmithing program at Montgomery CC
262 Posts
QCMGR said:
Thats just plain stupid.
It may be stupid now, with spare parts everywhere and in any configuration. But welding up the lugs to build an accurate gun, or to repair a broken foot used to be commonplace. Hallocks 45 auto handbook has about two pages on how to do it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I called the Gunshop today,
but its closed untill 30 dec :( .

I think (not sure) that the legg was welded before because there were two metal parts that came off , and i think one of the was metal of a previous welding.
I shall try to make some pic's and post them.

Regards,
Peter

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I just started thinking,
pitty that the Gunsmith didn't fire a couple more testshots ...
then the gun broke in his hands.

·
Registered
294 Posts
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by QCMGR
Thats just plain stupid.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Don't be too quick to judge. A while back (1987), we had 72 of our service 1911's refitted with Bar Sto barrels & bushings. Great idea, but to be legit, the Army Armorers had to do the fitting (Not all of them are "Armorers", many are just AIT trained parts assemblers..). Well, the pistols came back with ill fitted link legs and over trimmed hoods. A complete waste of money. Anyway, the barrels & bushings went to DRMO for scrap sale, but my Sr. Weapons guy snatched the whole lot for $6. He was a school trained TIG welder and machinist, welded the barrels up and finished them with lathe and mill. We re fit the barrels to most of the pistols and never looked back for permission or forgiveness. I put over 12K rounds through my issued 1911 after the barrel change, replaced many parts from the part boxes and cans, but the barrel held up fine. Shamefully, later that same year we lost our wonderful, rattling, accurate 1911's and got Baretta M9's :(

Any SAFE and EFFECTIVE method of repairing a firearm cannot be stupid. Granted there is usually a "Most" cost effective way, and currently, there may be inexpensive barrels available, but that wasen't always so, and may not be so in the future as many fine firearms age.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
No, it's not stupid and there's no place in this forum to be that way. Everyone has something to bring here but, there is no need to berate someone else. If you don't agree, say so, but don't degrade someone else.

Chuck

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I knew there was a diffrece in recoil springs in the Gold Cup (i read it here thnx guys :D ). I asked the gunsmith if it was a ligther spring and he said that is was a normal strength spring.
The load that i used for those 25 shots were Fiocchi FMJ Flat Nose 200gr and they did feel like "hot" loads.

Perhaps the previous owner didn"t know about the sping ... :confused:
I hope my gunsmith can slove the problem one way or another ... and make it a perfect shooter again !! (i think i felt in love with that gun ... the BEST gun i ever shot).
:p

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today i went to the gunsmith with my broken Colt.
He was really surprised to see that kind of damange,
and it look like he was a little uncomfortable that the gun was broke. He imediatly said that he would replace the barrel with no charge for me, he didn't even mention the words "repair or fix the barrel" :D .
When i asked what kind of barrel i would get, he said "A Match garde barrel offcourse !!" he couldn't thell yet what brand but probably a Colt (i hope so !!) or a springfield.
I know my gun wil never be of the same value as it was before, but nevertheless i'm pretty happy with the service !! :D
If anyone needs a good gunsmith in the netherlands ...
Maurice Drummen is the name.
http://www.mauricedrummen.nl/index_en.htm

Regards,
Peter

1 - 19 of 19 Posts