1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I purchased a Winchester model 94, chambered in .307 (yes there is such a round). I picked it up dirt cheap and its NIB and has never been fired. Well I havent fired yet but it sure is a pretty gun.

My dilema comes here:
I dont really ever plan on shooting it much and it is just collecting dust. Should I keep it or trade it in towards a new 1911? I would appreciate all imput on this matter as I am torn.

------------------
"You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty..we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I'd prefer you just said thank you and wen on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!" Col. Nathan R. Jessep

·
Registered
246 Posts
Geez, Lupey.....The only way to decide that is like everything else. Which do you need, or in the event you don't need, which do you want the most? I suggest that you lay them both in front of you on a table, and then keep the one you walk away with!

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
It's "dilemma".

Well, my first choice in a situation such as yours is to keep the first and buy the second anyway. I suppose it is possible to have too many guns, but since the concrete slab under my house still hasn't cracked, I'm not there yet.

If you indeed got the M94 dirt cheap, and you won't want it for hunting, and you won't be shooting it just 'cause, then maybe you should realize a profit on it and put that into a gun you want more.

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
697 Posts
You might check a more current reference manual than mine, but the value in 1997 was only $275 for a rifle in excellant condition. Apparantly, the '94 in .307 was only manufactured from 1984-1986. Is ammo available or will it have to be handloaded from formed cases? What will the forming dies cost?

Of course, you can always keep it just because you like it.

·
Registered
4,305 Posts
I don't profess to know what it is worth - but often, in terms of value, the difference between "excellent" and NIB/mint can be ALOT.

Lupey,

I would take it to a couple of shops and pick their brains.. Tell them you are thinking of selling it, and ask them how much they would give you for it. Then say "thank you, I'll think about it" (the truth!).

Whatever most are willing to pay for it, add 30% and that will give you a ballpark retail figure.

If I were in your position, didn't really want it, or intend to use it, I would wait until I find someone that really wants it. Maybe take it to a few gunshows (avoid dealers) and try and make a private sale. Then use the cash for what ever you need or please.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Keep them both. If at all possible, don`t ever sell any guns you may have. There may be a time when you can`t get any or don`t want to go through the hassle to get another.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Okay, here's my 2 cents....

The.307 cal was an attempt to get .308 ballistics out of a lever action on the '94 platform. If you want a .308, buy a Remington 700 bolt gun and be done with it. If you want a 'classic' lever action - get a pre-64 Model '94 Winchester in .30-30 and be done with it.

If you don't plan on shooting this one, I doubt if it will gather any significant 'collecter' value in the next few years (might even decline in value) - then you might be better advised to trade it off for something more useful to you -like another 1911!

Regards, NAA.

------------------
Colt 1911: Best damn "Government" in the World!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts